carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Car Talk

Old 08-24-2006, 11:26 AM   #11
TD
Founder emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by FC View Post
Let the E36 M3 go, people. Just let it go.
But cheese hasn't even had his that long. And it's a pretty damn good one.
TD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2006, 11:29 AM   #12
FC
Solving problems

Carmudgeonly Ride: M5 / 718 GTS / Cooper S / GTI / LR4
That's different. They already have it. No need to dump it if they like it.

It's a great car, don't get me wrong. But you just sold yours. Move on.

I'm all for getting one for track purposes, but to think it would make great daily driver at this age, I dunno.
FC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2006, 12:07 PM   #13
iateyourcheese
Nerd

Carmudgeonly Ride: '87 M3, Subie FXT, Mazda CX-9
Quote:
That's different. They already have it. No need to dump it if they like it.

It's a great car, don't get me wrong. But you just sold yours. Move on.

I'm all for getting one for track purposes, but to think it would make great daily driver at this age, I dunno.
I suppose you're right. I work in the same building as my wife, so if my DD breaks down then it's no big deal. The only problem is that I live 100+ miles from any BMW mechanic in case something major does happen.

Anyway, I like the M3 a lot.... it has "character" that my e46 didn't have. Also, the main reason I bought it was to get a project car. I was looking for a car to learn on, and an e36 M3 is just reliable enough to be decent, but throws enough curveballs to be interesting. For example, the VANOS unit was stuck, giving it a rough idle and robbing me of some down low torque. It was a great weekend project, and now the car feels so much more alive. If I had kids then I could see the car requiring too much time, though.

Oh, and I'm taking it to do my first DE this weekend. Oddly enough, the most common car in the StL BMW club seems to be the M3 sedan. I'll try to get some pics this weekend.
iateyourcheese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2006, 12:14 PM   #14
John V
No more BMWs

Carmudgeonly Ride: Ram, MS3, CX-5, RX-8
Quote:
Let the E36 M3 go, people. Just let it go.
If you could buy something comparable today, I'd agree.

The RX-8 comes close but it's missing the torque and the awesome fuel mileage. The ZHP is maybe closer spiritually, but it's missing the diff and the soul.
John V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2006, 12:15 PM   #15
TD
Founder emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by iateyourcheese View Post
I suppose you're right. I work in the same building as my wife, so if my DD breaks down then it's no big deal. The only problem is that I live 100+ miles from any BMW mechanic in case something major does happen.

Anyway, I like the M3 a lot.... it has "character" that my e46 didn't have. Also, the main reason I bought it was to get a project car. I was looking for a car to learn on, and an e36 M3 is just reliable enough to be decent, but throws enough curveballs to be interesting. For example, the VANOS unit was stuck, giving it a rough idle and robbing me of some down low torque. It was a great weekend project, and now the car feels so much more alive. If I had kids then I could see the car requiring too much time, though.

Oh, and I'm taking it to do my first DE this weekend. Oddly enough, the most common car in the StL BMW club seems to be the M3 sedan. I'll try to get some pics this weekend.
I did one DE in it and had a great time. Thanks to the kids, I never found the time to do another.

I actually enjoyed the occasional project on it as well. But as I was using it as a DD for a 50 mile (roundtrip) commute, reliability was an issue.

I am seriously happy the car found such a good home.
TD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2006, 12:42 PM   #16
Theo
Crazy Old Man

Carmudgeonly Ride: M2C Stick
Quote:
Originally Posted by John V View Post

The RX-8 comes close but it's missing the torque and the awesome fuel mileage. The ZHP is maybe closer spiritually, but it's missing the diff and the soul.
By todays standards its not fast at all, but in the fun to drive as a DD category, it ranks pretty highly with most of the affordable, I said "affordable", choices currently out there.

DD meaning I have a 7 mile commute to work and back.
Old 08-24-2006, 12:44 PM   #17
FC
Solving problems

Carmudgeonly Ride: M5 / 718 GTS / Cooper S / GTI / LR4
Quote:

There is no modern E36 M3. This is true and extremely unfortunate. If one so loves the E36 M3's feel, balance, etc, by all means go ahead and get one. But my point, I guess, is that it is becoming a niche car, similar to what owning an E30 M3 has become. In that if you love it and want, it get it. But for all its greatness, a modern albeit inferior car performance-wise will likely be a far better everyday vehicle for most people, like for instance TD, the thread starter.
FC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2006, 01:00 PM   #18
Theo
Crazy Old Man

Quote:
There is no modern E36 M3. This is true and extremely unfortunate. If one so loves the E36 M3's feel, balance, etc, by all means go ahead and get one. But my point, I guess, is that it is becoming a niche car, similar to what owning an E30 M3 has become. In that if you love it and want, it get it. But for all its greatness, a modern albeit inferior car performance-wise will likely be a far better everyday vehicle for most people, like for instance TD, the thread starter.
I fully agree on all points.

The only reason I don't feel the same about the E30 M3 is becasue it has zero in the go dept. The E36 is not fast by any means, but it has enough get up to keep things exciting.
Old 08-24-2006, 01:16 PM   #19
John V
No more BMWs

Carmudgeonly Ride: Ram, MS3, CX-5, RX-8
Quote:
Originally Posted by TBM3C View Post
I fully agree on all points.

The only reason I don't feel the same about the E30 M3 is becasue it has zero in the go dept. The E36 is not fast by any means, but it has enough get up to keep things exciting.
And the E30 M3 is absurdly overpriced for people who don't give a fvck about racing heritage. E36 M3s are getting very cheap.
John V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2006, 01:21 PM   #20
Theo
Crazy Old Man

Quote:
And the E30 M3 is absurdly overpriced for people who don't give a fvck about racing heritage. E36 M3s are getting very cheap.

In your state maybe. But as with everything else out north, they are still priced stupidly here.