carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Car Talk > Perseverators Anonymous

Old 08-15-2018, 09:15 PM   #11
SARAFIL
I like BMWs

Carmudgeonly Ride: X5 M50 / M550
Or another option...

(Can’t believe I am suggesting this but there’s something about this new generation that I like)

https://www.volvocars.com/us/cars/new-models/v60
Old 08-15-2018, 09:20 PM   #12
JST

I like the Volvos but am uncomfortable with their current ownership structure for reasons I admit are jingoistic.

Old X5 is a possibility I guess.

If I have to go the SUV route I’m definitely waiting to see what the new RWD Explorer looks like. The Aviator has nice proportions.

But blah I don’t want to have to drive around in something like that.
JST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2018, 09:36 PM   #13
Josh (PA)
Hello.

Carmudgeonly Ride: '09 X3, '11 328xiT, '11 135i C, '17 c2, '19 X5
Quote:
Originally Posted by SARAFIL View Post
Or another option...

(Can’t believe I am suggesting this but there’s something about this new generation that I like)

https://www.volvocars.com/us/cars/new-models/v60
The new v60 is very appealing to us. I just hope they bring over the t8 hybrid version.
'11 135i Convertible
'11 328xiT
'09 X3
Josh (PA) is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2018, 12:06 AM   #14
FC
Solving problems

Carmudgeonly Ride: M5 / 718 GTS / Cooper S / GTI / LR4
Quote:
Originally Posted by rumatt View Post
Fernando's M3?
lol

I’m telling you, let go of the hate and you would find there is no better fun, stick shift car.
FC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2018, 07:10 AM   #15
ff

I believe an Accord does make a lot of sense here. You didn't mention anything about wanting to tow ski boats or haul pallets of concrete mix home from Home Depot. You want something that can carry the kids and one of their friends, and a necessary amount of luggage, comfortably. For that you want hip and legroom, both of which come in generous quantities in the Accord. Add to that the great reliability, economy, and damn good resale, it seems like a slam dunk to me. And like you said, you can get it with a stick, which is a big plus.

Quote:
Originally Posted by equ View Post
Ugh, I think you'd quickly regret the Accord. I ride in them and wonder what happened to Honda's engineering.
I think the previous gen (2013-18) is nicer, in every way, than any Accord before it. I haven't been inside the new ones, but I'd be surprised if it wasn't in the same ballpark.
ff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2018, 08:00 AM   #16
John V
No more BMWs

Carmudgeonly Ride: Ram, MS3, CX-5, RX-8
Quote:
Originally Posted by JST View Post
Am seriously considering going with the Model 3 and trading in the Model S, for a variety of reasons.

That would leave me with a Model 3 and a Golf R. I think that's perfectly cromulent; the Model 3 can take a surprisingly large amount of luggage and with a 300 mile range would be a better trip car in some ways than the Model S.

But let's play it out and say in 12 months I decide I need a bigger 2nd car. What to buy?
So the play here is you'd unload the Golf R and get a "larger than a Model Hamburger" second car to take on trips to the beach?

Is the driving requirement here 1) more luggage space or B) more elbow room for rugrats? If B, there isn't much other than "three row SUV" that fits the bill. Any sedan type thing is going to be about the same amount of space as a Model Hamburger for three kids across, right? I may be totally wrong, an Accord may truly have more hip / shoulder room than a 3. It certainly looks larger. But at that point why not just get rid of both the Golf R and the 3 and drive an Accord? Financially and functionally that makes the most sense.

If the answer is 1), some kind of cool hatchback/wagon type thing might be the answer. Panamera (though I hesitate to call that dog-taking-a-dump "cool"), Mercedes/AMG wagon (how much ya got to spend on maintenance and repairs?) might be options.

Haven't you for years promoted the merits of various Ford EcoBoost SUV things (Edge, Flex, etc, I can't keep those things straight)? Sounds like it's time to put your money where your mouth is At least they'll (probably) be cheap to own and operate.
John V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2018, 08:44 AM   #17
equ
Alphanumeric

Carmudgeonly Ride: 981S, 340i
Quote:
Originally Posted by ff View Post
I believe an Accord does make a lot of sense here. You didn't mention anything about wanting to tow ski boats or haul pallets of concrete mix home from Home Depot. You want something that can carry the kids and one of their friends, and a necessary amount of luggage, comfortably. For that you want hip and legroom, both of which come in generous quantities in the Accord. Add to that the great reliability, economy, and damn good resale, it seems like a slam dunk to me. And like you said, you can get it with a stick, which is a big plus.

I think the previous gen (2013-18) is nicer, in every way, than any Accord before it. I haven't been inside the new ones, but I'd be surprised if it wasn't in the same ballpark.
This may all be true, but I don't think JST will end up liking it. He is coming from Model S, 3-series, 5-series, M3, Golf R, 987 level cars... An Accord may be a more rational purchase than those, but that doesn't seem to be his history.
equ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2018, 08:45 AM   #18
equ
Alphanumeric

Carmudgeonly Ride: 981S, 340i
My advice: Stang, the dark green Bullitt edition GT. Let the kids squish in the back.
equ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2018, 08:53 AM   #19
FC
Solving problems

Carmudgeonly Ride: M5 / 718 GTS / Cooper S / GTI / LR4
Quote:
Originally Posted by John V View Post
dog-taking-a-dump
FC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2018, 09:03 AM   #20
ff

Quote:
Originally Posted by John V View Post
I may be totally wrong, an Accord may truly have more hip / shoulder room than a 3.
In the rear, the Accord has 2.5" more hip and shoulder room, and 5" more legroom. Assuming you were referring to the Model 3, and not a BMW 3.
ff is offline   Reply With Quote