Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Car Talk

Old 12-06-2003, 08:41 PM   #1
SARAFIL
I like BMWs

Carmudgeonly Ride: X5 M50 / M550
"Official notification to the Bangle-bashers: Get over

http://www.bmwcca.org/Roundel/2003/12/Article_2.shtml

Quote:
A confirmed retro-grouch, I love the E39 5 Series. The new Fünfer is most definitely not an E39, but rather relentlessly Sevenesque. Thus, in view of the new coupe's design cues----also taken from the most recent 7 Series, henceforth and heretofore referred to as the Bulbous-Butted-Slab-Sided-Bangled- Bimmer-Of-Scorn----I was apprehensive as I flew to the launch of the new 645Ci in Spain. "This," I said to myself, "could be another disaster on the scale of the San Francisco Earthquake… or even the Pontiac Aztec."

The new coupe features aluminum frontend components and Active Steering.

I was wrong. God help me, I was so wrong.

The new 645Ci will flat knock your ass in the creek. Take my retro-grouch word for it: Photos will never do this car justice. You just have to see it in the aluminum/composite/ high-strength-steel flesh. It's the one we've been waiting for. This is, in the words of the editor-in-chief, "a stunning car."

Damn. I hate it when he's right.

But I always face the truth. So welcome back, BMW Design Chief Chris Bangle. Welcome back to the cabal of Bimmerheads who rejoice in right-looking cars, those of us who have celebrated most of the BMW product line for the last 65 years. We knew you could do it. Well, maybe hoped is a better word. Either way, you're back.

And this should also serve as official notification to the Bangle-bashers: Get over it. Get over it or go buy a Mercedes. Yeah, you're probably getting old enough by now. It's time to think about that Merc. You'll like it. It suits your delicate design sensibilities… and your squishy bottom. For the rest of us, there's this new absolute driving machine to ponder.
Old 12-06-2003, 09:09 PM   #2
Plaz
•••••••

Carmudgeonly Ride: '11 1M
Nice!
Old 12-06-2003, 10:52 PM   #3
JST

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plaz
Nice!
"And this should also serve as official notification to the Bangle-bashers: Get over it. Get over it or go buy a Mercedes."

I'll happily take my money elsewhere.
JST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2003, 11:38 PM   #4
Doug

Quote:
Originally Posted by JST
Quote:
Nice!
"And this should also serve as official notification to the Bangle-bashers: Get over it. Get over it or go buy a Mercedes."

Yup, people will. I do like the new 6 though..though that shot of the interior has me wondering
Old 12-06-2003, 11:46 PM   #5
SCA
Jaded

:crazy:
SCA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2003, 11:47 PM   #6
SCA
Jaded

Quote:
Originally Posted by JST
Quote:
Nice!

Exactly, but it won't go to Mercedes.
SCA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2003, 06:28 PM   #7
TD
Founder emeritus

They can say whatever they want, I'm never buying one of these fugly monstrosities. I may go to Audi, I may go to Benz, or I may even go to Cadillac. But I will not buy one of these.

So consider me gone.
TD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2003, 11:43 AM   #8
lemming
Western Anomaly

Carmudgeonly Ride: White Orca
S:

yeah. i spent the weekend reading that issue of Roundel.

'was pretty impressed with the writeup. i will gladly reconsider my opinion when i get to see the car myself in person also.

i always thought the old 6 series was funny looking so it's fitting if, in my mind, the new one is still funky, also.

in the end it matters not. i cannot imagine many of us, who already think that the 3 series is portly, would be the demographic for the 6 series. something even bigger and heavier just isn't my cup of tea, no matter what it looks like.

lemming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2003, 12:03 PM   #9
The HACK
Crotchety

Quote:
Originally Posted by pDz
S:

'was pretty impressed with the writeup. i will gladly reconsider my opinion when i get to see the car myself in person also.

i always thought the old 6 series was funny looking so it's fitting if, in my mind, the new one is still funky, also.

in the end it matters not. i cannot imagine many of us, who already think that the 3 series is portly, would be the demographic for the 6 series. something even bigger and heavier just isn't my cup of tea, no matter what it looks like.
You guys are now just LOOKING for excuses not to like the new 6.

Yeah, the 6 is bigger, but heavier? It's only about 75 lbs more than a loaded E46 M3, and the same power and significantly more torque. Are you telling me, if you were given the choice to have more interior space, more trunk space, while only increasing the mass MARGINALLY you wouldn't want a car like this? Hell, I'd lose 75 lbs first from my *ss before I'd worry about that 75 lbs heavier than a 3 series.

Heck, the new 6 is lighter and quicker than the old 6.

• SEMA 2004 • Leadership Matrix has been passed, Ricemus Prime Lives!!!
The HACK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2003, 12:27 PM   #10
JST

Quote:
Originally Posted by The HACK
Quote:
Originally Posted by pDz
S:

You guys are now just LOOKING for excuses not to like the new 6.

Yeah, the 6 is bigger, but heavier? It's only about 75 lbs more than a loaded E46 M3, and the same power and significantly more torque. Are you telling me, if you were given the choice to have more interior space, more trunk space, while only increasing the mass MARGINALLY you wouldn't want a car like this? Hell, I'd lose 75 lbs first from my *ss before I'd worry about that 75 lbs heavier than a 3 series.

Heck, the new 6 is lighter and quicker than the old 6.
I don't have to look very hard to find reasons not to like the E63. I just have to look at the car itself.

I have, in principle, no objection to a slightly larger coupe than the E46, and BMW has done well with keeping the weight down for such a big car.
JST is offline   Reply With Quote