carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Car Talk > Perseverators Anonymous

Old 07-18-2020, 01:46 PM   #2861
FC
Solving problems

Carmudgeonly Ride: M5 / 718 GTS / Cooper S / GTI / LR4
OK. So my wife says I can go ahead and buy that car.

That means now I actually have to really think about it. A few thoughts/questions I'd like input on.

1) I am working under the assumption that buying a mint car like that will, in the medium to long term, not lose me any money. I told my wife I have no idea what it could go for but that a nice sample like that could go for between 30-40k. She was ok with that, again, under the assumption that "it will always be worth about that much." I need to do some research.

2) Despite all the info, I feel I ought to get that car inspected. People very close to me are snowbirds in Naples, and could likely have someone help me with that.

3) The big one. Where do I put this kind of car. This is not a project car, this would be a collectible. I have a nice detached garage, but it's a working garage. I can't be awaking a V12 from its slumber just to move it 30 feet so I can put some other car on the lift. I could park it in the attached garage, but before long my wife would complain that it's dumb to put such a seldom-used car there taking one of 2 precious spots. Stupid thought: Should I get a cheap metal garage to put beside my detached garage (I have an area of crushed stone - see attachment) where this car can live inside a bubble?. It would get cold in the winter but it would be protected from the sun and weather. I have two 20A outlets on separate circuits right there. I could try to insulate the structure with 2" XPS foam.

4) I expect to not put a lot of miles on this, but I'd like to be able to put on ~1k miles per year without worrying about killing its value. Is this reasonable?

5) Am I insane?

Oh, recall that for reference, the garage door on the image below is 16' wide. It's an old photo from when the garage had just been completed.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Crushed stone next to garage.JPG
Views:	216
Size:	537.0 KB
ID:	12769  
FC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2020, 02:50 PM   #2862
Josh (PA)
Hello.

Carmudgeonly Ride: '09 X3, '11 328xiT, '11 135i C, '17 c2, '19 X5
Well that's exciting! Hopefully the auction doesn't go biErk and you are in it till the end. Are you going to Pagani it?
What would the cost of a storage unit garage be? It does look like a super nice example
'11 135i Convertible
'11 328xiT
'09 X3
Josh (PA) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2020, 03:06 PM   #2863
FC
Solving problems

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh (PA) View Post
Well that's exciting! Hopefully the auction doesn't go biErk and you are in it till the end. Are you going to Pagani it?
What would the cost of a storage unit garage be? It does look like a super nice example
If it is very nice, like this one appears to be, I'd leave it alone.

The metal garage linked is ~$2k.

Ideally I'd like a 1999 with the options this one had (AMG kit and panorama) in a better color (red or navy blue). But white works for convertibles, IMO, and offers good contrasts against the grill and vents. What I don't like is that the seats don't look as good as they should for the mileage. See this one for one with mint seats.

It also looks very good, but the photos are not quite Concours-level detailed-photos. Some close-ups by the vents behind the front wheels show some dark specs. Did they not clay the car (that would be a potentially bad sign), or is it something else?
Old 07-18-2020, 03:10 PM   #2864
equ
Alphanumeric

Carmudgeonly Ride: 981S, 340i
I think the miles are too low on that SL. White doesn't suit it. I'm more and more concerned about overly low mileage cars.

I also don't like SL's to begin with, so it's hard for me to get motivated for them. Even vicariously on FC's behalf... Find something else I say. Unless you think your mech eng provides an edge and you can get fabricate and get sound out of that car and sell for even more $$$... In which, start with a moderate mileage example, not a cream puff to modify.
equ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2020, 04:35 PM   #2865
FC
Solving problems

Quote:
Originally Posted by equ View Post
I think the miles are too low on that SL. White doesn't suit it. I'm more and more concerned about overly low mileage cars.

I also don't like SL's to begin with, so it's hard for me to get motivated for them. Even vicariously on FC's behalf... Find something else I say. Unless you think your mech eng provides an edge and you can get fabricate and get sound out of that car and sell for even more $$$... In which, start with a moderate mileage example, not a cream puff to modify.
Well, to be clear, the R129 is my teenage dream car.

That said, you make good points.

But note that I am not generally nostalgic about older cars. Cars that I could see myself own fro sentimental or collectible reasons:

- Dream cars that will never happen (Gullwing, DB5, BMW 507, McLaren F1 and a few Ferraris)
- C1 Corvette
- Pagoda SL (in MT)
- R129 SL600
- MB E500/500E
- MB 190E 2.3 16V
- LR Defender
Old 07-18-2020, 05:38 PM   #2866
wdc330i
dogged

Carmudgeonly Ride: '22 M440 xDrive GC
Quote:

I don’t feel the love for that particular era either. But FC does. I say get it and love it.

Edit: I do love those cars—but the 70s and 80s iterations...
wdc330i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2020, 06:16 PM   #2867
JST

I need a refresher on your current fleet, but if your objective is to preserve this car, I wouldn’t park it under a steel barn, even in a bubble. Just put it the garage during the summer and find someplace to store it during the winter. You won’t want to drive it during the winter anyway.

I understand the appeal of this car, though it doesn’t sing to me. I think bc it’s on BaT and already at 26k, it may well go for silly money, though—don’t get too attached.

My advice as an (unsuccessful) bidder is the same I’d give someone going to Vegas: pick a max and stick to it. I’d probably set the max higher than I might otherwise pay, if it’s the right car—but pick a max number and when it hits that, walk away.

Maybe set that number a bit above an even cutoff—like 42 or something.

But also don’t forget the buyers premium.

Oh, and fwiw “mushroom leather” is the worst possible name for a color.
JST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2020, 06:17 PM   #2868
Josh (PA)
Hello.

Carmudgeonly Ride: '09 X3, '11 328xiT, '11 135i C, '17 c2, '19 X5
Quote:
White doesn't suit it.
I completely disagree. I think white looks excellent on convertibles. I'd much prefer my 911 be Carrera white instead of GT Silver.

And FC, it doesn't matter if it sings to any of us as long as it sings to you. V12 is way cool, and so nostalgic at this point. If you've always wanted one, do it!

Pre-Congrats.

JST's BAT advice is very sage. Pick a max and don't go over. There are a lot of really good cars not on BaT. The 911 I bid on went back for sale a month ago for lower than the BAT bid and the guy that bought my z3 paid 20% too much for it. Just FYI

FC, I was thinking of an off site rental storage unit garage. I'm not sure if they're any more sealed then the $2k corrugated steel.
'11 135i Convertible
'11 328xiT
'09 X3
Josh (PA) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2020, 07:02 PM   #2869
FC
Solving problems

Quote:
Originally Posted by JST View Post
I need a refresher on your current fleet, but if your objective is to preserve this car, I wouldn’t park it under a steel barn, even in a bubble. Just put it the garage during the summer and find someplace to store it during the winter. You won’t want to drive it during the winter anyway.

I understand the appeal of this car, though it doesn’t sing to me. I think bc it’s on BaT and already at 26k, it may well go for silly money, though—don’t get too attached.

My advice as an (unsuccessful) bidder is the same I’d give someone going to Vegas: pick a max and stick to it. I’d probably set the max higher than I might otherwise pay, if it’s the right car—but pick a max number and when it hits that, walk away.

Maybe set that number a bit above an even cutoff—like 42 or something.

But also don’t forget the buyers premium.

Oh, and fwiw “mushroom leather” is the worst possible name for a color.
Yes, I do fear this car is already expensive. Also, I’m not sure the logistics work for me to own a car I can’t drive all the time.

Maybe I am better off with a good-enough SL600 that I can Pagani. Or maybe I just need to buy a Boxster. lol

I think I’m just nostalgic about the idea of one more than the reality of one. I guess that is why some classics go up so much in value.
Old 07-18-2020, 07:08 PM   #2870
JST

Well, that’s true—and you might hate the car or it might be a pain. But you’re right that you’re unlikely to take a bath on it; if you don’t like it you can sell it. You might lose a few thousand bucks, but wtf, what’s checking off a dream garage purchase worth?

I ask that, partly rhetorically and partly in earnest. After all, you’ve had a 911 Turbo and I’ve never even had a 911.
JST is offline   Reply With Quote