Jeff_DML
Old Fart

Carmudgeonly Ride: T4R,GTI
SCA, I would hope and expecting a new 4runner soon
Jeff_DML is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2022, 12:28 PM   #12
robg
Carmudgeon

In general, I just don't get the appeal of Toyotas. They tend to be uglier, drive worse, have worse tech, are less comfortable, and perform worse than most of the competition. The one thing they have is "bulletproof" reliability and durability. But if that's really the main (and only) reason you want a car just buy a used Toyota. I really scratch my head at people who lease new 4Runners...the only point of that car seems to be that it'll go forever and if you're not planning on keeping it more than 3 years why bother. Otherwise its a slow, ugly, inefficient, cramped and lumbering beast.

Ironically, there's someone I work with who bought a new 4Runner a couple years ago. Its been in the shop for 3 weeks now as they've been trying to trouble shoot an electrical issue. That would really suck-- you buy a car for one reason and then it lets you down.

/end rant
robg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2022, 12:34 PM   #13
Jeff_DML
Old Fart

Quote:
Originally Posted by robg View Post
In general, I just don't get the appeal of Toyotas. They tend to be uglier, drive worse, have worse tech, are less comfortable, and perform worse than most of the competition. The one thing they have is "bulletproof" reliability and durability. But if that's really the main (and only) reason you want a car just buy a used Toyota. I really scratch my head at people who lease new 4Runners...the only point of that car seems to be that it'll go forever and if you're not planning on keeping it more than 3 years why bother. Otherwise its a slow, ugly, inefficient, cramped and lumbering beast.

Ironically, there's someone I work with who bought a new 4Runner a couple years ago. Its been in the shop for 3 weeks now as they've been trying to trouble shoot an electrical issue. That would really suck-- you buy a car for one reason and then it lets you down.

/end rant
I own one and it is a reliable offroad appliance. If you never offroad/use for remote access then I totally agree.
Old 01-26-2022, 12:35 PM   #14
SCA
Jaded

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff_DML View Post
SCA, I would hope and expecting a new 4runner soon
Given that it is based on the Taco who knows. Is a update currently in the works? The last I read a new 4Runner was in the works, but that was also circa four or five years ago
SCA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2022, 12:37 PM   #15
Jeff_DML
Old Fart

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCA View Post
Given that it is based on the Taco who knows.
pretty sure the current does not(LC prado/gx) but looks like next gen might based on googling. I was expecting it to share the tundra/lc platform.

Edit: That would be a bummer since I was hoping they would use tundra platform and give us triple lockers since LC is gone so room for more extreme offroader.
Old 01-26-2022, 12:53 PM   #16
Jeff_DML
Old Fart

Quote:
yeah I agree and they had to make a kludgy shelf thingy to get a flat load floor with that solid rear axle. Doesn't seem like a big deal switching out the solid axle for IRS with same platform , prettty sure others have done it. Sort of like torsion beam and IRS cars.
Pic of it

Old 01-26-2022, 02:24 PM   #17
wdc330i
dogged

Carmudgeonly Ride: '22 M440 xDrive GC
Quote:
Originally Posted by robg View Post

/end rant
Well, if you make basically the same vehicle a gazillion times for 12-plus years, it had better have all of the kinks worked out. A byproduct of all the model updates is introducing new variables into the mix and the potential for new problems, no?
wdc330i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2022, 03:02 PM   #18
JST

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick M3 View Post
My point is that an IRS AWD land cruiser doesn't cut it. So if you're going to pick one drivetrain/suspension for the platform, you can't do that.
Right, but they've already got the Land Cruiser...which they've already ALSO federalized as the Lexus, but decided not to sell here for reasons.

I just don't see the logic in knecapping the utility of your mom and dad mobile in order to chase some overlanders who probably would have happily bought the Lexus or certainly would have bought a slightly downmarket version of the Lexus called the Land Cruiser.

Plus, if you're trying to sell to the overlanders, Land Cruiser has a hell of a lot more cache than Sequoia.

I think this maybe suggests that Toyota thinks it can capture most of the soft roader market with the Highlander, but I do not think that's right. Although to me the Highlander is gargantuan, to people like my SIL it's a tiny lil thing that they would never consider.
JST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2022, 03:04 PM   #19
JST

Quote:
Pic of it

Yeah LOL WTF is that.
JST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2022, 03:22 PM   #20
Nick M3
Relic

I don’t really see what the flat floor kludge has to to with a live axle. If anything, a live axle ends up giving you more clearance than an IRS.
1995 M3 S50B32
1990 325is
1989 M3 S54B32

Hers:
1989 325iX
1996 911 Turbo

Nick M3 is offline   Reply With Quote