carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Car Talk

Old 12-01-2021, 12:56 PM   #291
Theo
Crazy Old Man

Carmudgeonly Ride: M2C Stick
Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyMike View Post
I was one of the first ones to grab the pitch forks and torch the design initially, but after seeing it in real life it's a lot better in my opinion than appears using on-line media.

Since the daily R32 is getting a bit long in the tooth at 14 years and 122,000 miles it's time to soon part ways. If I can eek out one more winter with it would be most ideal.

The M240i is on a very, very short list of contenders.

This would be my build if I went with it in Xdrive guise.
https://www.bmwusa.com/build-your-ow...q9g044/summary

Nearly every option, except going with sensatec in cognac skin instead of the meager leather options that don't blow my hair back.

If I decide to opt for it still undecided whether to go early next year or wait until it's released in RWD form. With the High-Performance Tire Package that give you the awesome PS4S I'd be getting snow tires anyway for winter, so while nice to have the Xdrive it is probably overkill. Not to mention that it's also heavier and probably $2k more expensive than the forthcoming RWD variant.

Of course, all of this is just mental gymnastics since it has not got the official seal of The Warden's approval yet. She might gag on the sticker shock, but she'll be relieved to see the VW get gone since ingress and egress are an issue for her.

She might put up stiff resistance to the purple paint, but I'm pretty sure I can get her to standdown and put the billy club and gun away. Since this will be "OUR" car, I at least have a 50/50 fighting chance. Well, theoretically speaking, anyway.

What remains is a test drive to see if I can live with the mediocre electric steering rack. Ugh!!

Somebody please spare me since I really dread that, but at some point I'll have to come to grips with the realization EPAS will never give the connection to the road feel that the hydraulic units deliver. Everybody says they are improving with each iteration, but nobody has stated they are at the same level of involvement as the hydraulic units.

Since I have the 1 M and E91 I'll still at least have majority stable domination in that regard.
MIKE!!!

The fact that you are even considering one is a triumph to BMW. A true carmudgeon like you that is. I would strike now since the 23’s will all have the video game dashboards.

The things I can’t get over are the huge black side skirts and the awful rear. But yes there is very little out there left at this price point. At least the G87 is still getting a manual.
Old 12-01-2021, 12:57 PM   #292
Theo
Crazy Old Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdc330i View Post
Very nice build. I think you should go for it.

If it were a convertible or a 4-door, I would already have my order in (I believe I wrote that somewhere else.)

I am also, gasp, a little tempted by the M440i Xdrive Grand Coupe, despite the stupid moniker and horrible cheesy grille.

I like the idea of a one-car solution, but I don't like doing without a hatchback. I will eventually be down to one dog(likely in 1-3 years). And will also eventually need to help subsidize a teen driver/car.

That model seems to strike a balance between the two cars I already have--with the exception of the convertible aspect. And would get me a little more luxury, which would be nice because neither the Mazda nor my generation of 2 provide that.

But, if I were smart, I'd just settle for the M340 and avoid the horrible grille.

I am also tempted by a Boxster. But, in my heart of hearts, I know I prefer convertibles that are easier to get in and out of--like my 2. I am not getting any younger. Sigh.
YES to the M340i idea. With the Msport pkg I think that car looks amazing.

Imagine how the M3 would have sold with that front end.
Old 12-01-2021, 01:38 PM   #293
IndyMike
Elected by grace

Carmudgeonly Ride: 11 1 M; 11 328iT; 22 M240ix
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theo View Post
MIKE!!!

The fact that you are even considering one is a triumph to BMW. A true carmudgeon like you that is. I would strike now since the 23’s will all have the video game dashboards.

The things I can’t get over are the huge black side skirts and the awful rear. But yes there is very little out there left at this price point. At least the G87 is still getting a manual.
Say hey, Theo!

You know, I really dig Shadowline trim. To me, it's really sporty looking, but in my opinion, it works best in minor doses. There comes a point where you overdo it (same regarding carbon fiber). Big chunks of it, like on hoods, roofs, rear bonnet just oversaturates it.

But my solution (at this time) is to paint the rocker panels, as well as the outer portions of the rear diffuser purple, so that only the center portion of the diffuser will be Shadowline.

If you're gonna do purple, you might as well bring out all the guns and knives.

Those would be the only mods at this time. Maybe an M Performance Exhaust down the line.

Concerns over the video game dashboard likely will skew my decision to go for the Xdrive model.

I don't suppose there is any chance the RWD variant might come out prior to the switchover to the '23 models.

I guess I need to have that conversation with the dealer, but you already know he wants the sale now and not down the road. Greedy people that they are.
Old 12-01-2021, 02:38 PM   #294
IndyMike
Elected by grace

Quote:
Very nice build. I think you should go for it.

If it were a convertible or a 4-door, I would already have my order in (I believe I wrote that somewhere else.)

I am also, gasp, a little tempted by the M440i Xdrive Grand Coupe, despite the stupid moniker and horrible cheesy grille.

I like the idea of a one-car solution, but I don't like doing without a hatchback. I will eventually be down to one dog(likely in 1-3 years). And will also eventually need to help subsidize a teen driver/car.

That model seems to strike a balance between the two cars I already have--with the exception of the convertible aspect. And would get me a little more luxury, which would be nice because neither the Mazda nor my generation of 2 provide that.

But, if I were smart, I'd just settle for the M340 and avoid the horrible grille.
Unfortunately, BMW has created quite a quandary for those of us that remember BMW's legendary days of yore.

They have definitely left us behind, with designs that look as if they have left something on their behinds.

They were once leaders, and now have left all of their good sense to become followers of other makes into abysmal mediocrity.

I seriously doubt as to whether we ever see in our lifetimes such timeless designs again such as the E24, E30, E38, E39 or E46.

Everything needs to be edgy and trendy. Sins, er rather, signs of the times I guess.

Quote:
I am also tempted by a Boxster. But, in my heart of hearts, I know I prefer convertibles that are easier to get in and out of--like my 2. I am not getting any younger. Sigh.
Don't feel bad. Age creep (or creap in my case) gets to us all in the end.

I've resigned to try and stave it off by keeping in shape and working out on the treadmill more.

I mean, if Chuck Norris can still look buff at 80 (at least on the outside) I've got a fighting chance at least until I'm at full social security age.
Old 12-02-2021, 07:45 AM   #295
wdc330i
dogged

Carmudgeonly Ride: '22 M440 xDrive GC
Good attitude!

At any rate, I’m not sure it makes sense to order any car until you can get the full complement of features. I think BMW is still deleting them from almost all models—and not always with notice.
wdc330i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2021, 01:33 PM   #296
IndyMike
Elected by grace

Quote:
Good attitude!

At any rate, I’m not sure it makes sense to order any car until you can get the full complement of features. I think BMW is still deleting them from almost all models—and not always with notice.
They actually are offering credit delete on SiriusXM and Passenger Lumbar support (only impacts leather options since it doesn't come with sensatec for some stupid reason, except the cha-ching one of course), probably temporarily due to supply issues. I don't really give a jack for SiriusXM, but the frau likes to listen to the Elvis channel, so I imagine they will provide some kind of activation service once the issue resolved.

Hopefully should be resolved by the time I make the decision early in 2022.
Old 12-02-2021, 01:52 PM   #297
Theo
Crazy Old Man

If you read the entire thread it is really SCA and I that are on the fence about getting the G87. There is a definite draw to getting the last full ICE manual RWD M car made.

I might even be able to look past the video game screens if it’s that good.

I have seen some reviews of the manual version of the M3/4 and to me it seems that car no longer fits the profile.

Take that with a grain of salt since I had an E39 M5 for 11y. But those were the days when all performance BMW’s came with a manual first and maybe an auto as an afterthought.

With the G80/82 that thought pattern seems to have switched and the manual is the afterthought.

Time will tell.
Old 12-02-2021, 03:30 PM   #298
SCA
Jaded

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyMike View Post
I was one of the first ones to grab the pitch forks and torch the design initially, but after seeing it in real life it's a lot better in my opinion than appears using on-line media.

Since the daily R32 is getting a bit long in the tooth at 14 years and 122,000 miles it's time to soon part ways. If I can eek out one more winter with it would be most ideal.

The M240i is on a very, very short list of contenders.

This would be my build if I went with it in Xdrive guise.
https://www.bmwusa.com/build-your-ow...q9g044/summary

Nearly every option, except going with sensatec in cognac skin instead of the meager leather options that don't blow my hair back.

If I decide to opt for it still undecided whether to go early next year or wait until it's released in RWD form. With the High-Performance Tire Package that give you the awesome PS4S I'd be getting snow tires anyway for winter, so while nice to have the Xdrive it is probably overkill. Not to mention that it's also heavier and probably $2k more expensive than the forthcoming RWD variant.

Of course, all of this is just mental gymnastics since it has not got the official seal of The Warden's approval yet. She might gag on the sticker shock, but she'll be relieved to see the VW get gone since ingress and egress are an issue for her.

She might put up stiff resistance to the purple paint, but I'm pretty sure I can get her to standdown and put the billy club and gun away. Since this will be "OUR" car, I at least have a 50/50 fighting chance. Well, theoretically speaking, anyway.

What remains is a test drive to see if I can live with the mediocre electric steering rack. Ugh!!

Somebody please spare me since I really dread that, but at some point I'll have to come to grips with the realization EPAS will never give the connection to the road feel that the hydraulic units deliver. Everybody says they are improving with each iteration, but nobody has stated they are at the same level of involvement as the hydraulic units.

Since I have the 1 M and E91 I'll still at least have majority stable domination in that regard.
Like the build Mike! I have yet to get onboard with the shadowline crew. I was surprised by cool and high performance tire package esp since one can get non-run flat summers without the $2400 penalty.

Re the G87. The more and more I see of BMW’s new design language/catastrophes the closer I get to pulling the plug and requesting that my deposit be refunded on the # 1 allocation at my local center. The 997.2 certainly is not helping the case either. lol. BTW, I really do not want iDrive 8 either, especially with the long screen if they cannot incorporate it better. That tech update alone could potentially force me to walk.

Last edited by SCA; 12-02-2021 at 03:45 PM.
SCA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2021, 07:03 PM   #299
IndyMike
Elected by grace

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCA View Post
Like the build Mike! I have yet to get onboard with the shadowline crew. I was surprised by cool and high-performance tire package esp since one can get non-run flat summers without the $2400 penalty.

Re the G87. The more and more I see of BMW’s new design language/catastrophes the closer I get to pulling the plug and requesting that my deposit be refunded on the # 1 allocation at my local center. The 997.2 certainly is not helping the case either. lol. BTW, I really do not want iDrive 8 either, especially with the long screen if they cannot incorporate it better. That tech update alone could potentially force me to walk.
Thanks Sean.

I'm still just doing on-line tire kicking. Yeah, I am impressed that they give you multiple non-rft performance tire options. The non HPTP tires appear to be Pirelli Cinturato P7's, and I like the Cerium gray rims that go with them. But the bicolor M wheels that go with the HTPT look nice in videos as well, and you know you're getting the current best state of the art rubber with the PS4S. i could see saving the $2400, and just upgrading to PS4S in a year or two after burning through the Pirelli's. Hopefully they are fast and high wearing tire, if that is the case. Would like to see both before I commit.

Ultimately it will come down to how satisfying a test drive will be. I know it has got gobs of power and the Xdrive helps with the traction, but if it rolls and floats on high-speed sweepers, or feels totally numb and disconnected I'll probably walk. None of the reviews have intimated that is the case, and in fact just the opposite as it appears to be a nicely button-downed chassis with adaptive dampers, and fairly planted taking corners.

If I take a hike I might look into the new GTI, or even the CT4-V Blackwing. Yeah, there is a wide disparity between these 3 models, so I'm definitely all over the map. I could be a real mess if the BMW doesn't pan out.

As far as the G87 goes, I like the idea of getting one of the last real ICE cars, especially in an Individual color like Le Mans blue, but in reality it just doesn't fit in my portfolio unless something were to happen to the 1 M.

So, if you decide to stay in the game I will have to live vicariously through you and Theo's threads up to your decision points.

You should probably hang in there as long as you can. After all, other than .005% interest on your deposit what have you got to lose?
Old 12-04-2021, 11:08 AM   #300
Theo
Crazy Old Man

Throttle House Review:

https://youtu.be/IUU1yfK0A8Y

And they finally show a shot of the available, at least in Canada, analog gauges.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	A215D465-79E7-4181-A938-86C0B60BA6F0.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	88.6 KB
ID:	14053  

Last edited by Theo; 12-04-2021 at 11:39 AM.
Theo is offline   Reply With Quote