carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Car Talk

Old 11-17-2021, 01:12 PM   #261
robg
Carmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdc330i View Post
I agree 100%. Reading/skimming is much more time efficient, and not much experience/learning is lost if the photos are also good and thorough.

Yep. I guess I’ve gotten used to it at this point. I really appreciate when reviewers but section titles at the bottom of the screen - makes it easy to skip to the part you’re interested in. As a rule I always skip the first 2 minutes if any review bevause it’s inevitably filled with boring introductions and music. Also agree with watching at 2x speed as a way to make it less boring. There are some reviewers that I really enjoy watching and savor every minute of. Jason cammissa and Chris Harris both come to mind.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
robg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2021, 02:23 PM   #262
Theo
Crazy Old Man

Carmudgeonly Ride: M2C Stick
Jason is amazing. Did you watch the latest ICON about the Model S Plaid, the M5 CS and the Blackwing??

While long it was entertaining start to finish unlike a lot of reviewers.
Old 11-17-2021, 02:34 PM   #263
clyde
Chief title editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCA View Post
This somewhat relates to the above (print articles), but the BMW CCA chapters are wanting to terminate the publication of the Roundel and make it online only. See the attachment from my local chapter Prez. A recent survey from HQ was distributed recently pertaining to exactly this.
I get what you're saying, but I do not see the print/online comparison as similar to text/video. It's the difference between reading a book and watching a movie. Doesn't matter if the book is read in manuscript singled sided 10 point courier from a manual typewritter, large format hardback on heavyweight paper, or small type print on cheap pulp newsprint in a pocket sized paperback, on a tablet, or my phone nor does it matter if I watch the movie in a state of the art theater in an 8k digital projection with 50 zillion channel sound, an IMAX projection, on a bedsheet in my backyard, on my home 65" OLED tv, my laptop, my tablet, or my phone.

Anyway, printed material is expensive to produce and distribute, especially compared to digital distribution.

The SCCA has a similar printed monthly magazine I get every month. I really wish they would save me the effort of moving it from the mail pile to the recycle bin. If there's anything I want to read in it, I will read it online.

But the boomers insist.

Team WTF?!
What are you gonna do?
clyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2021, 02:41 PM   #264
wdc330i
dogged

Carmudgeonly Ride: '22 M440 xDrive GC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff_DML View Post
Ack. That would be a problem in my very tight garage...
wdc330i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2021, 02:48 PM   #265
Jeff_DML
Old Fart

Carmudgeonly Ride: T4R,GTI
Quote:
Originally Posted by wdc330i View Post
Ack. That would be a problem in my very tight garage...
Not about fitting for me, thought what is good about the m2 over the m3 is the smaller size so more nimble and playful. Yeah current m3 is even bigger then e90 but still seems like a bummer it got bigger.

Also I have confused why you guys are following the non-m versions. You guys actually interested in them? unattractive with a slushy is hard for to find any interest.
Jeff_DML is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2021, 02:53 PM   #266
lemming
Western Anomaly

Carmudgeonly Ride: White Orca
Quote:
Not about fitting for me, thought what is good about the m2 over the m3 is the smaller size so more nimble and playful. Yeah current m3 is even bigger then e90 but still seems like a bummer it got bigger.

Also I have confused why you guys are following the non-m versions. You guys actually interested in them? unattractive with a slushy is hard for to find any interest.
Spoken like a true CarMudgeon

lemming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2021, 03:10 PM   #267
dan
redefined

I've driven a 135 with a slushy for the last 6+ years and have enjoyed it tremendously
Old 11-17-2021, 03:28 PM   #268
Theo
Crazy Old Man

Carmudgeonly Ride: M2C Stick
Quote:
Good article but I noticed a reference to analog gauges. Has anyone actually seen these????
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1DE78BEC-FF08-4D69-BB40-CB00F2841684.jpeg
Views:	99
Size:	345.6 KB
ID:	14019  
Old 11-17-2021, 03:49 PM   #269
SCA
Jaded

Quote:
Originally Posted by clyde View Post
I get what you're saying, but I do not see the print/online comparison as similar to text/video.
I was simply making a reference to reading “written articles” in print as clearly video reviews are becoming the replacement of that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh (PA) View Post
I miss written articles too.
SCA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2021, 05:17 PM   #270
wdc330i
dogged

Carmudgeonly Ride: '22 M440 xDrive GC
Quote:
Originally Posted by dan View Post
I've driven a 135 with a slushy for the last 6+ years and have enjoyed it tremendously
Ditto my m240 convertible (although just closing in on five years).
wdc330i is offline   Reply With Quote