carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Car Talk

Old 11-03-2022, 09:55 PM   #1281
wdc330i
dogged

Carmudgeonly Ride: '22 M440 xDrive GC
Quote:
Originally Posted by robg View Post
Yeah it’s too bad they never did a Porsche version of the s5 sportback. Closest to your 440 in the Porsche lineup would be the taycan cross turismo at only about 40k more.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Right. Ouchy!
wdc330i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2022, 07:54 AM   #1282
Nick M3
Relic

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCA View Post
I would have an awful difficult time if given the option to select one of the two, M5 Competition or a manual 992 C2S/GTS.
sure, but if you need a sedan, it’s not the 911.
1995 M3 S50B32
1990 325is
1989 M3 S54B32

Hers:
1989 325iX
1996 911 Turbo

Nick M3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2022, 09:01 AM   #1283
SCA
Jaded

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick M3 View Post
sure, but if you need a sedan, it’s not the 911.
I will more than likely always have a SAV in the stable so I would probably go for a new 911. I have spent some hardcore seat time in a M5 Comp at M School and it is a hell of a car! Truly amazing what it can accomplish.

My former ZHP sedan which I gave to my offspring when I purchased the E39 are more than likely the last sedans I will own. I am not much of a sedan guy at this point in my life and when I reflect on the past I have never really warmed up to the sedans thatvI have owned with exception of the Imola ZHP.
SCA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2022, 09:26 AM   #1284
Nick M3
Relic

Quote:
I will more than likely always have a SAV in the stable so I would probably go for a new 911. I have spent some hardcore seat time in a M5 Comp at M School and it is a hell of a car! Truly amazing what it can accomplish.

My former ZHP sedan which I gave to my offspring when I purchased the E39 are more than likely the last sedans I will own. I am not much of a sedan guy at this point in my life and when I reflect on the past I have never really warmed up to the sedans thatvI have owned with exception of the Imola ZHP.
Sure, that’s totally fair. I’m just saying that the M3 and M5 do something that a 911 can’t. Whereas the M4 CSL doesn’t do what the M3 or M5 do, and also doesn’t do what the 911 does.
1995 M3 S50B32
1990 325is
1989 M3 S54B32

Hers:
1989 325iX
1996 911 Turbo

Nick M3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2022, 10:11 AM   #1285
Theo
Crazy Old Man

Carmudgeonly Ride: M2C Stick
Quote:
I am not much of a sedan guy at this point in my life and when I reflect on the past I have never really warmed up to the sedans that I have owned with exception of the Imola ZHP.
Funny you say that as I feel the same. Besides my E39 I only had one other 4 door and it was an accord sedan for a very short time in collage (Auto even!).

The only reason I got the E39 was that every time I saw and heard one when they were new I was in awe! I knew I would have one some day. And when I did I kept it for 11y.

I am very happy to be back in something 2 door (Useable back seats) and small (Well by todays standards). The footprint and handling is no contest but god I miss the S62!

So SCA you are currently a:

- Sunroof car
- TR/Black with M color buckets?

I think I am still more of a fan of the Alpine White and just add some of the carbon bits.

If they do anything for the LCI I hope it’s updates to the front and rear bumpers.

EDIT: Anyone seen this G80 bumper offer?

https://youtu.be/D6B6A1SF14o
Old 11-04-2022, 10:53 AM   #1286
robg
Carmudgeon

G87 M2

Quote:

Yeah I’ve come to a similar conclusion. I fell somewhat ambivalently into suv ownership with a used 1st gen x3 that my mom was selling about 6 years ago. It kind of grew on me and now I’m just no longer interested in sedans (other than a few rare exceptions). One day I hope to add a 2nd car like a 718 gts or 911 to my fleet.

robg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2022, 11:34 AM   #1287
SCA
Jaded

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick M3 View Post
Sure, that’s totally fair. I’m just saying that the M3 and M5 do something that a 911 can’t. Whereas the M4 CSL doesn’t do what the M3 or M5 do, and also doesn’t do what the 911 does.
I gotcha.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theo View Post
Funny you say that as I feel the same. Besides my E39 I only had one other 4 door and it was an accord sedan for a very short time in collage (Auto even!).

The only reason I got the E39 was that every time I saw and heard one when they were new I was in awe! I knew I would have one some day. And when I did I kept it for 11y.

I am very happy to be back in something 2 door (Useable back seats) and small (Well by todays standards). The footprint and handling is no contest but god I miss the S62!

So SCA you are currently a:

- Sunroof car
- TR/Black with M color buckets?

I think I am still more of a fan of the Alpine White and just add some of the carbon bits.

If they do anything for the LCI I hope it’s updates to the front and rear bumpers.

EDIT: Anyone seen this G80 bumper offer?

https://youtu.be/D6B6A1SF14o

TR w/ Black M Sport Seats with M highlights which I am probably changing to cognac. Currently spec’ed with the CF roof, but leaning towards deleting it. Since I do not intend to keep this car long-term it is best that I spec it to something that will be easy to resale. If you missed it, I am already deposited for a G87 LCI with the written understanding that I am able to order it with individual paint and a manual trans, otherwise it is a no-go.

I am perfectly fine with the rear bumper cover. The front end needs work which would include the headlights and bumper cover.

My current specs are below.

Quote:
Originally Posted by robg View Post
Yeah I’ve come to a similar conclusion. I fell somewhat ambivalently into suv ownership with a used 1st gen x3 that my mom was selling about 6 years ago. It kind of grew on me and now I’m just no longer interested in sedans (other than a few rare exceptions). One day I hope to add a 2nd car like a 718 gts or 911 to my fleet.

When traveling, I am significantly more comfortable in an SUV and overall forward visibility is also greatly improved versus a sedan and why is that? Because nearly everyone else drives an SUV.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	81BC02C4-4E02-4F7D-8EC2-0B0892EAC4FC.jpeg
Views:	42
Size:	1.84 MB
ID:	15436  

Last edited by SCA; 11-04-2022 at 11:47 AM.
Old 11-04-2022, 11:48 AM   #1288
Theo
Crazy Old Man

Carmudgeonly Ride: M2C Stick
Quote:
TR w/ Black M Sport Seats with M highlights which I am probably changing to cognac. Currently spec’ed with the CF roof, but leaning towards deleting it. Since I do not intend to keep this car long-term, it is best I spec it to something that will be easy to resale. If you missed it, I am already deposited for a G87 LCI with the written understanding that I am able to order it with individual paint and a manual trans, otherwise it is a no-go.

I am perfectly fine with the rear bumper cover. The front end needs work which would include the headlights and bumper cover.
I hope the economy stays strong for the resale value. I can see going carbon roof if your intent is a quick resale. You can recoup it hopefully.

I am hoping by the time the LCI comes around some of the wait times will be reduced and the need for a place in line SO far in advance is not needed anymore. Strange times.

When I ordered my M3 ZCP in 05 it only took like 3 months.
Old 11-04-2022, 12:03 PM   #1289
SCA
Jaded

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theo View Post
I hope the economy stays strong for the resale value. I can see going carbon roof if your intent is a quick resale. You can recoup it hopefully.

I am hoping by the time the LCI comes around some of the wait times will be reduced and the need for a place in line SO far in advance is not needed anymore. Strange times.

When I ordered my M3 ZCP in 05 it only took like 3 months.

If the economy is still strong I might auction it off. I have already worked out the trade details with my local dealer so I am not overly concerned about the economy. The dealer wants it regardless because they know they are not going to get that many allocations annually.

Allegedly the G87 is going to be low production so dealers are expecting the wait to be lengthy throughout the lifecycle. I do not know if that will hold true if/when the bottom drops out the economy.
Old 11-07-2022, 07:45 PM   #1290
SCA
Jaded

Allocations dropped today. Allegedly no one got M2s. Doesn’t really matter given launch is not until April.