carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Car Talk

Old 11-25-2019, 03:12 PM   #31
John V
No more BMWs

Carmudgeonly Ride: Ram, MS3, CX-5, RX-8
Quote:
Originally Posted by JST View Post
Ford has a bigger problem, which is that it really only has one automotive nameplate with any equity--and that's Mustang.
Perhaps you've heard of this new vehicle they recently started making. It's called "F-150"
John V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2019, 03:14 PM   #32
JST

“Automotive,” as opposed to truck. On the truck side, there’s both the F-150 and the Explorer.
JST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2019, 03:20 PM   #33
clyde
Chief title editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick M3 View Post
The Cybertruck is interesting.

A crossover with a Mustang badge just seems like an existential threat to the Mustang.

I’m with him.

Edit: And anyone who thinks that the Mach E looks better than the Cybertruck is wrong.
That's an answer that deserves Probe-ing.

Quote:
The Mach E trades on that. I suppose it diminishes it, though we've seen other brands with similar equity successfully use them to sell SUVs
The first thing I thought of in terms of the Mustang Mach E was the 2004 Nissan Pathfinder Armada which became the 2005 Nissan Armada.

Team WTF?!
What are you gonna do?
clyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2021, 08:56 PM   #34
ZBB
Relic

Carmudgeonly Ride: A very fast golf cart
When I came out of the vaccine holding room yesterday, I saw a Mach E for the first time. Guessing it belonged to someone working at the vaccine site.

It looks great in person. Need to get a test drive scheduled...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	E221E921-C89E-4DFF-ADC7-49C1CF8BE485.jpg
Views:	144
Size:	1.58 MB
ID:	13308  Click image for larger version

Name:	B24E39AB-4163-4C5A-8606-D80DA0558A2F.jpg
Views:	138
Size:	1.91 MB
ID:	13309  Click image for larger version

Name:	66E374BE-C112-4CD9-A45C-DF907891E053.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	1.32 MB
ID:	13310  Click image for larger version

Name:	FE187BA4-F504-4861-8045-D9F9AB99ACCE.jpeg
Views:	142
Size:	2.73 MB
ID:	13311  
Old 04-01-2021, 06:58 AM   #35
John V
No more BMWs

Even upside down it looks a damn sight better than the Cyberpuke
Old 01-09-2023, 02:46 PM   #36
jpgurl
Carmudgeon

Carmudgeonly Ride: '22 MACH-E; '74 Austin Mini
Quote:
The name is kind of dumb...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick M3 View Post
Edit: And anyone who thinks that the Mach E looks better than the Cybertruck is wrong.
Quote:
Originally Posted by robg View Post
I like it-- I mean the whole "slope back crossover" style trend isn't my favorite but overall it's not bad looking...
We added an EV to the household stable...

What was in the running:
  • Audi e-tron derivations: I've always loved Audi styling (and owned a few avants/wagons) but the starting price on the base model is ~$70k.
  • The BMX iX is nice but again, very expensive (and I still can't quite accept the new BMW grille design).
  • Volvo XC40 Recharge: Probably the best interior screen set up but boring, boring, and boring.
  • Polestar: Meh.
  • Hyundai Ioniq or Kona: I don't like the styling so these were never really in the running.
  • Mini was rumored to be offering an all electric Countryman but since they aren't out yet, didn't make it to the list.
  • Telsa Model 3: No. For reasons made apparent in the last few months.
  • GMC Hummer: I am kidding. I didn't even know this existed. They seem to be going after the Rivian crowd.

But ultimately, the winner was the Ford Mustang Mach-E. It's a late-year run 2022 model.

For the record, the "Mustang" name is definitely dumb. Henceforth, it shall be the Mach.

I didn't go through the process of ordering a 2023 one and waiting 3-6 months, just stalked the dealer inventory until they one in that I wanted. I definitely overpaid. But, for the same exact car for 2023, the base price went up $7k). So, why not.

I've been driving the Jeep Rubicon for the last couple of years and I just have to say how goddamn loud that thing is. Now I can listen to podcasts! Actual music that isn't just bass beats! It's a whole new world. But I am going to miss that Jeep. I love her. I could keep it for my step son who is turning 16(!) in 6 months, but his mom would never let that happen.

The Mach-E GT is hella fast. I know, who cares about 0-60 but coming from the Jeep (or any of my last 3 cars for that matter), I don't have to plan lane changes two weeks in advance. I am having a blast.

Quick specs:
  • GT eAWD Dual Motor
  • 480HP/600 ft. lbs torque
  • Battery range: 270 miles - though I've only been getting ~220
  • Absolutely enormous center infotainment/settings screen - which is at least 50% bigger than it needs to be
  • Ford Bluecruise - "hands free" driving that I haven't yet tried
  • Alcantara-like interior that I love - Ford calls it ActiveX, whatever that is
  • Panoramic roof - time will tell if this was a bad decision living in Texas

My first experience trying to use a fast charger was a disaster. I didn't realize the FordPass app would handle the exchange so I was trying to use Charge Point or Electrify America and it would connect but never do anything. It seems the various apps were fighting with each other trying to connect. I also learned that, unlike the charger at home, the fast chargers "lock" the charging cable onto the car. This seems like common sense now, but I did not know this. After some very gentle tugging, I realized I had to wait until the fast charger fail unlocked itself from the car. So that was fun.

$3k later , I now have a 240V charger at home. From completely empty – which it never is – takes about 12 hours. But in more realistic circumstances, I hook it up at night about once a week when the battery range shows fewer than 50 miles of range and it charges past 80% by 6AM.

We likely won't use the car for extended road trips so the farthest I will probably go is down to San Antonio (from Austin). The car will make it round trip to my parents with some to spare. I will say that San Antonio's charging infrastructure is shit compared to Austin. As a much more progressive city, Austin has charging options all over the place. Preliminary research into the north side of San Antonio showed only a handful of options on the Electrify America map and even then it was 1, maybe 2 chargers at a Walmart. On a full charge, I could make it one way to Houston and probably (south) Dallas if needed.

For those interested, I don't think it will qualify for a tax credit. Final assembly location (Mexico) and manufacturer phase outs my come into play. The info online all contradicts itself though. So we will submit the form to the accountant and see what happens.

p.s. I have a gently-used 2-dr 2017 Jeep Rubicon JK Hardtop for sale.
jpgurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2023, 02:55 PM   #37
Nick M3
Relic

I still don't like the way it looks, but it's definitely a solid package. Congrats on the new car!
1995 M3 S50B32
1990 325is
1989 M3 S54B32

Hers:
1989 325iX
1996 911 Turbo

Nick M3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2023, 03:00 PM   #38
robg
Carmudgeon

Congratulations! Very cool that you got the GT version...haven't seen many of those on the road.

As for the tax credit, yeah it's very confusing. Having Mexico as the final assembly location doesn't disqualify it since that is still North America. Basically as of Jan 1st, a few additional requirements came into play (household AGI of less than 300k if married filed jointly, and MSRP cap for SUVs under 80k /sedans under 55k). There will be some additional requirements that come into play in March when the treasury issues guidance on battery mineral sourcing and assembly. At that point, it's expected that no current EVs or PHEVs will qualify for anything.

Here's a pretty comprehensive FAQ that the IRS released in December:
https://www.irs.gov/pub/taxpros/fs-2022-42.pdf
robg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2023, 03:31 PM   #39
John V
No more BMWs

Congrats. I agree that of the EV options that are currently available, this one is the most palatable.

It's a bummer that the non-Tesla charging infrastructure is so unreliable and fragmented. My buddy with the Rivian never drives it to our place because it turns a nominal 380-mile trip into a 450-mile trip with two stops.
Old 01-09-2023, 03:46 PM   #40
robg
Carmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by John V View Post
Congrats. I agree that of the EV options that are currently available, this one is the most palatable.

It's a bummer that the non-Tesla charging infrastructure is so unreliable and fragmented. My buddy with the Rivian never drives it to our place because it turns a nominal 380-mile trip into a 450-mile trip with two stops.
That's why I think the current focus on range is misguided. Unless you have some insane amount of range, you're still probbably going to have to stop and deal with public charging on a longer trip anyway. But then the other 90% of the time you're just paying for (and lugging around) way more battery than you need. Plus it seems like owners of longer range EVs (like your friend) end up taking something else on road trips anyway...so what's the point. And if it were possibly to buy something with say 1000 miles of range, I'd still rather save several hundred pounds not lugging around something that i'd very rarely use.
robg is offline   Reply With Quote