carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Car Talk

Old 12-05-2019, 10:15 AM   #151
rumatt
Mugwump

Carmudgeonly Ride: E46 330i, Chevy Colorado, Tesla Model 3
Doug DeMuro's second round of hating on the Cybertruck.

He's a big Tesla fan but not the Cybertruck. His arguments are pretty reasonable.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yWyd...r3S4nS9xHg1nJQ
rumatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2019, 01:34 PM   #152
equ
Alphanumeric

Carmudgeonly Ride: 981S, 340i
Quote:
Originally Posted by rumatt View Post

He's a big Tesla fan but not the Cybertruck. His arguments are pretty reasonable.

I hadn't seen the first video... I watched both. I happen to completely agree with him. The styling is subjective; on that I feel almost let down by a company that I didn't love but had tremendous respect for. It will not grow on me. He made many of the points that I thought about but more cogently. It will really only hit the Raptor and/or EV fans getting their first trucks. I don't think there is a huge market for it. Maybe if Tesla scraps the design and it looks better...

I'm not surprised by his Model 3 love. I have held off on test driving one; I could easily see it being much better than the 340i. For my specific uses; carrying bikes on top with good old bmw racks that bolt on; driving 1000 miles in mid-winter (zeroes/teens) to remote Vermont & Quebec spots, the 340i has been a good fit. I do not drive it much and I'm not in LOVE with it or anything.

Steering is 'meh'. I think the 6MT 340i really suffers against a well-tuned 8-speed ZF but I haven't done any back to backs on that car. Somehow, the notchy box, finicky clutch and weird throttle response conspire to make shifting not as quick or fun as it could be. Would I go to an auto? No, but shifting the Porsche 6-speed is much more fun and much less of a hit compared to PDK. Perhaps the AWD grip and rotational mass make it harder on the clutch.

So yeah, Model 3 or anything comparable (and it seems there is no such thing right now) can definitely go on my radar next time around.
equ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2019, 01:37 PM   #153
robg
Carmudgeon

Quote:

Watched it and makes sense. Although this is anecdotal, I find it interesting that a guy I work with (in his early 20s) loves the cybertruck. He doesn’t like pickups or SUVs and isn’t into EVs. So Tesla might be onto something with this design that those of us over 30 are missing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
robg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2019, 02:35 PM   #154
clyde
Chief title editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by robg View Post
Tesla might be onto something with this design that those of us over 30 are missing.
That wedge cars were still all the rage when we were kids?

Team WTF?!
What are you gonna do?
clyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2019, 03:03 PM   #155
robg
Carmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by clyde View Post
That wedge cars were still all the rage when we were kids?
Ha- or maybe that cars look inspired by video games will be the next trend. Doug Demuro's analysis is very logical and rational -- but actual car buyers often choose vehicles for very irrational emotional reasons. Personally I have no interest in the cybertruck
Old 12-05-2019, 03:20 PM   #156
clyde
Chief title editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by robg View Post
Ha-
I was actually kind of serious. The Wedge era (1967-1984) overlaps Generation Carmudgeon's car-specific formative years.

Quote:
actual car buyers often choose vehicles for very irrational emotional reasons.
A big one being purchasing vehicles to use every day for one specific quality that may only be used once or twice while the vehicle is owned by the original owner.

Team WTF?!
What are you gonna do?
Old 12-05-2019, 06:11 PM   #157
robg
Carmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by clyde View Post
I was actually kind of serious. The Wedge era (1967-1984) overlaps Generation Carmudgeon's car-specific formative years.

A big one being purchasing vehicles to use every day for one specific quality that may only be used once or twice while the vehicle is owned by the original owner.
Good point on us being in the "wedge generation". Although the cybertruck doesn't give me that nostalgic "wedge vibe" for some reason. I do find that I like the look of boxier car designs (was looking at an old 850 turbo wagon on the street yesterday and kind of digging it).

And, yeah, purchasing a vehicle for an imagined "edge case" like offroading or big Home Depot runs is definitely a thing.
Old 12-05-2019, 06:28 PM   #158
rumatt
Mugwump

Old 12-05-2019, 11:28 PM   #159
clyde
Chief title editor

Quote:
True story

Team WTF?!
What are you gonna do?
Old 12-06-2019, 10:53 AM   #160
rumatt
Mugwump

Not surprisingly, very few want the single-motor truck.

Tesla swapped the order to release the tri motor a year sooner, and the single a year later.

They've typically released their most expensive versions first. I was confused why they would change that.

https://electrek.co/2019/12/06/tesla...update-orders/