carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Car Talk

Old 01-09-2023, 04:00 PM   #41
ZBB
Relic

Carmudgeonly Ride: A very fast golf cart
Congrats! Welcome to the EV world!

The Mach E is a good product. I test drove one a while back and liked it.

Good luck on charging. We tried to use the EA site in Austin one day last summer with no luck (it was a test of the Tesla adapter), but the site was busy and I gave up after testing 2 stalls. We have used a couple Volta CCS sites (malls), but they are only 50kW chargers. Agree that San Antonio has limited day charging avail. Houston has gotten a lot better over the last 6 months though (at least for Tesla…)

$3k is a lot! Did you have a long run from your panel? Our charger install was about $1100 - about 50-50 for the electrician and the unit…
Old 01-09-2023, 04:20 PM   #42
wdc330i
dogged

Carmudgeonly Ride: '22 M440 xDrive GC
Cool choice. I actually like the looks of those. There's one that belongs to a parent of one of my son's schoolmates, so I see it pretty often.
wdc330i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2023, 06:47 PM   #43
jpgurl
Carmudgeon

Carmudgeonly Ride: '22 MACH-E; '74 Austin Mini
Thanks all! I am very happy with it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by robg View Post
Here's a pretty comprehensive FAQ that the IRS released in December:
https://www.irs.gov/pub/taxpros/fs-2022-42.pdf
Thanks for the link!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZBB View Post
$3k is a lot! Did you have a long run from your panel? Our charger install was about $1100 - about 50-50 for the electrician and the unit…
Ours was also 50/50 labor/parts. But we had a very long run, under 1/2 of the house from one side of a 60s ranch-style house to the other. I think $900 of that was wiring.
jpgurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2023, 07:27 PM   #44
dan
redefined

Wooooo!
Old 01-09-2023, 07:40 PM   #45
wdc330i
dogged

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpgurl View Post
Thanks all! I am very happy with it.

Thanks for the link!

Ours was also 50/50 labor/parts. But we had a very long run, under 1/2 of the house from one side of a 60s ranch-style house to the other. I think $900 of that was wiring.
Welp. Kind of good for resale these days, I imagine. I have 200 amp service in my little 60s ranch, but I hear sometimes you actually need more for EVs.
Old 01-10-2023, 09:05 AM   #46
ZBB
Relic

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdc330i View Post
Welp. Kind of good for resale these days, I imagine. I have 200 amp service in my little 60s ranch, but I hear sometimes you actually need more for EVs.
200A service should be fine -- especially for a smaller house.

We have 200A service with the Tesla Wall Connector on a 60A circuit (the max the current gen supports). It pulls 48A continuous, so there's still 152A avail for everything else on the house. With 200A service, the panel can support slightly over 38kW continuous load with up to 48kW short temp loads (say an AC system starting up...). The car charger pulls 11.5KW for anywhere between 1 and 6 hours (depending on battery level when plugged in...) -- so is a continuous load. The other big power draws on the house are AC in the summer (we have 2 units), and the dryer. Everything else in the house (lights, TV, computers, etc) pulls at most 1.5kW (new house with LED lighting helps a ton). Since we also have a Tesla solar system, the Tesla app shows graphs of the house load and grid draw -- the highest I've ever seen our house load is ~22kW when charging a car while both AC units are running....
Old 01-10-2023, 09:17 AM   #47
wdc330i
dogged

Quote:
200A service should be fine -- especially for a smaller house.

We have 200A service with the Tesla Wall Connector on a 60A circuit (the max the current gen supports). It pulls 48A continuous, so there's still 152A avail for everything else on the house. With 200A service, the panel can support slightly over 38kW continuous load with up to 48kW short temp loads (say an AC system starting up...). The car charger pulls 11.5KW for anywhere between 1 and 6 hours (depending on battery level when plugged in...) -- so is a continuous load. The other big power draws on the house are AC in the summer (we have 2 units), and the dryer. Everything else in the house (lights, TV, computers, etc) pulls at most 1.5kW (new house with LED lighting helps a ton). Since we also have a Tesla solar system, the Tesla app shows graphs of the house load and grid draw -- the highest I've ever seen our house load is ~22kW when charging a car while both AC units are running....
Good to know. And a bit of insight into what would happen if I were on generator power only (gas generator is only 22kW or so). But, I have only one airco unit (currently). And could probably shut a bunch of stuff down when I need to charge the car.

BTW, saw the Mustang EV this am while taking my kid to school.
Old 01-10-2023, 09:18 AM   #48
ZBB
Relic

Quote:
Long runs can be painful.

In our case, the panel is in the garage, and there is about a 12-14 foot run on the same wall to where we put the charger. In AZ, I installed a 14-50 outlet in the garage, and the panel was outside on the same run -- wiring run was 2-3 feet.

In OH, I ended up charging on 120V for the 3 years we were there. The run wouldn't have been too bad -- the panel was in the basement more or less below the garage. The main panel was already full, and a sub-panel had been installed next to it that only had a couple open slots. I was worried about overloading the house and never called an electrician for an estimate... While charging was slow, I just kept the car plugged in when at home and it would replace my commute use on all but the coldest days (where I'd use ~20% more during the commute). There was a Supercharger close by also (just off my commute path), which I used 2-3 times to cover gaps (mostly on weekends when I needed more than I could charge the night before...).

Edit: Make sure you keep your invoice for the installation and hardware... The Alt Fuel Infrastructure Tax Credit is back -- it had expired at the end of 2021, but was put back into the Build Back Better Act... More info at the link below. Not clear how it works for consumers in 2022, but consumers are specifically included in 2023 installs -- 30% credit up to $1k (when did you have it installed?)... https://afdc.energy.gov/laws/10513
Old 01-10-2023, 04:32 PM   #49
jpgurl
Carmudgeon

Carmudgeonly Ride: '22 MACH-E; '74 Austin Mini
Quote:
Edit: Make sure you keep your invoice for the installation and hardware...
[/url]
Darn it, the install was done late 2022.
jpgurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2023, 05:56 PM   #50
robg
Carmudgeon

Quote:
Darn it, the install was done late 2022.

Sounds like you’re still eligible:

“installed through December 31, 2022, is eligible for a tax credit of 30% of the cost, not to exceed $30,000. “

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
robg is offline   Reply With Quote