carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Car Talk

Old 08-02-2021, 08:04 AM   #251
JST

It’s almost exclusively a function of where you drive. The vast majority of tires I’ve had to replace were holed by construction debris. The rest of them where on sharp pavement breaks on city freeways with sketchy maintenance. If you drive mostly on rural/exurban roads and don’t have to get funneled through a lot of construction zones, it’s not such a big deal, I guess.

As for Clyde’s “actually aren’t you an idiot because wouldn’t it have been better spending more than an hour in the parking lot of the Super 8 in North Bergen waiting for a tow truck rather than letting your family get on with vacation,” um, sure, that would have been better, yes. I should absolutely have done that.
JST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2021, 08:22 AM   #252
kognito
older fart than ZBB

Not only does our Fusion have a god awful, ugly, space saver spare. . . it is also NOT INFLATED!

There is a side panel in the truck that holds a 12V inflator (which is nice, I've used it on my tractor tires and the tractor cart)

I hope (fingers crossed) that is I ever need the spare, the bead is still well sealed to the rim. It does not have a tube inside it.
Old 08-02-2021, 10:12 AM   #253
clyde
Chief title editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by John V View Post
I'm probably screwing myself here by posting this,
We all see what you did there

Quote:
but I've gotten four flat tires in the entire time I've been driving. Twice while towing a trailer (neither trailer was one I owned for what that's worth). Once in my E36 M3, which had a spare. Once on my Triumph, which obviously didn't.
I still clearly remember the time my trailer got a flat on the way to Topeka and we just happened to notice it while getting gas at an incredibly well lit station and took us all of about five minutes to take care of start to finish.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JST View Post
It’s almost exclusively a function of where you drive. The vast majority of tires I’ve had to replace were holed by construction debris. The rest of them where on sharp pavement breaks on city freeways with sketchy maintenance. If you drive mostly on rural/exurban roads and don’t have to get funneled through a lot of construction zones, it’s not such a big deal, I guess.

As for Clyde’s “actually aren’t you an idiot because wouldn’t it have been better spending more than an hour in the parking lot of the Super 8 in North Bergen waiting for a tow truck rather than letting your family get on with vacation,” um, sure, that would have been better, yes. I should absolutely have done that.
This is what I don't get about flats: Some people seem to get them all the time. Some seem to never get them. You have had worse luck with car tires than anyone else I know. Brendon could barely tow anywhere without getting at least one flat. John's had very good luck. I think I've had pretty good luck. I don't know why, but I don't think it has anything to do with anything other than luck. It's not difficult to imagine how your experiences have impacted your views on spares an I don't fault that, but I also think that experience is an outlier experience.

I've had plenty of small punctures that were plugable and quite a few that weren't, but held air well enough to let me get the tire replaced. I can only remember one sudden wheel/tire failure that necessitated an immediate change (five years ago Saturday). In retrospect, changing it then and there when it happened (shoulder of the Beltway that was barely as wide as the car) was nothing other than totally fucking stupid and I still can't believe I'm alive.

I don't recall asking if or suggesting you were idiot. I think I said I could see how different people might make different choices if presented with two unappealing trip interruptions while not so subtly communicating what my choice would be. Maybe it wasn't as bad as you made it sound, but waiting an hour or two for a tow truck sounds quite a bit more preferable than what you described following the spare installation.

Team WTF?!
What are you gonna do?
clyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2021, 01:42 PM   #254
JST

Interesting that EVgo is adding native Tesla support to (some of) its chargers. Only 50 kW but better than nothing.

https://twitter.com/evgonetwork/stat...743505409?s=20
JST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2021, 07:49 PM   #255
clyde
Chief title editor

https://www.npr.org/2021/08/16/10280...topilot-system

I appreciate everyone waiting for me to post.

My only question at the moment is how many more people will die before NHTSA tells Tesla, "Nuh-uh"?

Team WTF?!
What are you gonna do?
clyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2021, 09:59 PM   #256
wdc330i
dogged

Carmudgeonly Ride: '22 M440 xDrive GC
Quote:
Originally Posted by clyde View Post

My only question at the moment is how many more people will die before NHTSA tells Tesla, "Nuh-uh"?
But wait, there’s more:

“United Kingdom: Six injured as self-driving Tesla crashes in school car park in Southern England - Telegraph”

https://www.reuters.com/world/uk/six...nd-2021-08-16/
wdc330i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2021, 07:47 AM   #257
robg
Carmudgeon

Fuck Tesla

Quote:
Originally Posted by clyde View Post

Based on that article, maybe things will change with the new administration? What I can’t figure out is why there haven’t been many high profile lawsuits against Tesla? Guess they’ve managed to negotiate settlements with victims families. Still seems like the type of thing personal injury lawyers drool over as far as class action suits

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
robg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2021, 08:27 AM   #258
FC
Solving problems

Carmudgeonly Ride: M5 / 718 GTS / Cooper S / GTI / LR4
I agree with all of your posts today. It's amazing to me that the government is in effect letting Tesla have users beta-test this functionality with the lives of the public at large on the line.
FC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2021, 08:35 AM   #259
wdc330i
dogged

Carmudgeonly Ride: '22 M440 xDrive GC
Quote:
Originally Posted by FC View Post
I agree with all of your posts today. It's amazing to me that the government is in effect letting Tesla have users beta-test this functionality with the lives of the public at large on the line.
I think nomenclature is part of the problem. They may need to rebrand “autonomous driving” as computer-aided driving or some such. Given that “driver’s assist” already means something else. But, the name should not suggest complete hands-off inattention.
wdc330i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2021, 09:22 AM   #260
FC
Solving problems

Carmudgeonly Ride: M5 / 718 GTS / Cooper S / GTI / LR4
Quote:
Originally Posted by wdc330i View Post
I think nomenclature is part of the problem. They may need to rebrand “autonomous driving” as computer-aided driving or some such. Given that “driver’s assist” already means something else. But, the name should not suggest complete hands-off inattention.
True. But people are stupid, and they will do stupid things. Letting people in general drive, with the poor driving and decision-making skills they have, is dangerous enough. Introducing technology that may put a potentially "worse driver" in control is insane.
FC is offline   Reply With Quote