carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Car Talk

Old 03-14-2024, 05:21 PM   #1
FC
Solving problems

Carmudgeonly Ride: M5 / 718 GTS / Cooper S / GTI / LR4
How long should we keep the LR4

The plan continues to be "forever." We like it, it is in near new condition, it only has 57k miles, and a high end of ~$20k given condition and desirable rare options, it is still a fraction of anything that could replace it.

The only reason the thought of when to replace it is because I saw a thread where many report catastrophic engine failures with replacement prices at twice the value of typical cars.

In our case, the LR4 is very low miles (57k @ 10.5 years) and I plan on preventively replacing all possible cooling system-related components. Similarly, I take good care of the engine and that should mitigate the possibility of chain-related destruction.

But on the other hand, the technology is getting dated and fuel economy sucks. I don't know that we will want to keep it beyond the time the kids are through with college. For now it fits a niche role and sees only 3-5k miles a year.

I guess the question is, should we entertain selling it and upgrading it in a couple of years or just roll the dice for 8+ years and if it blows up it blows up?

Last edited by FC; 03-14-2024 at 07:12 PM.
FC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2024, 05:36 PM   #2
Jeff_DML
Old Fart

Carmudgeonly Ride: T4R,GTI
what is it's use case again?

Our 4runner is a similar type of vehicle but it is a Toyota I am hoping to keep it for many years and hundreds of thousands of miles but I can only keep away from shiny things for so long

and your boys are about to drive too right?
Jeff_DML is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2024, 07:10 PM   #3
FC
Solving problems

Well, with 5 cars in the fleet now the role is further limited. But still, we use it for:

- Family trips
- winter storms
- any transportation of Heidi
- towing
- buying anything bulky
- driving more than 5 people
- car for kids to learn to drive on and 2nd car available to kids
Old 03-14-2024, 07:42 PM   #4
wdc330i
dogged

Carmudgeonly Ride: '22 M440 xDrive GC
Quote:
Originally Posted by FC View Post
Well, with 5 cars in the fleet now the role is further limited. But still, we use it for:

- Family trips
- winter storms
- any transportation of Heidi
- towing
- buying anything bulky
- driving more than 5 people
- car for kids to learn to drive on and 2nd car available to kids
I’d keep it. Great family beater—especially given the weather you folks get up there and the youth/niceness of the rest of the fleet.
wdc330i is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2024, 07:50 PM   #5
Alan
Carmudgeon

That is a scary link you posted … my advice … stop reading the internet, sometimes Ignorance is bliss
Alan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2024, 08:00 PM   #6
wdc330i
dogged

Carmudgeonly Ride: '22 M440 xDrive GC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post
That is a scary link you posted … my advice … stop reading the internet, sometimes Ignorance is bliss
Ha! Definitely true of my experience with my Mazda CX-5. (And my E46 M3 to a lesser degree.) But, I kind of think the ticking time bomb syndrome just gives you license to make a change you want to make…
wdc330i is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2024, 09:47 PM   #7
JST

It’s not clear from that thread what the common problem(s) are. Some ppl say cooling system, others say supercharger, and at least one person seemed to suggest timing chains.

In any event, you’ve got a big enough home shop that you could swap the engine if you needed to, and enough cars that it wouldn’t be that big a deal having one out of commission for a while.

In any “should I sell this” scenario, the question is “and replace it with what?” Could you find a car that does everything that does for the cost of that car plus a new engine? Maybe a new Land Cruiser? But I’m not sure it’s better for what you want, and you’re basically spending the cost of a new engine to buy a car to avoid spending the cost of a new engine.

Anyway I say do the maintenance and keep it.
JST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2024, 12:50 AM   #8
3LOU5
Slacker Extraordinaire

I agree with JST.

Drive it till the wheels fall off or the engine detonates. With the money you save replacing it, you can save up for a McLaren.
2009 Harley-Davidson Sportster XL883 Low (Vivid Black) - his
2018 Can-Am Spyder RT Limited - hers
2007 Harley-Davidson Sportster XL883 Low (Pearl White) - hers (SOLD 02/29/20)
2011 Tao Tao 50 - whoevers bike is in the shop
2007 Reinell 186 FNS - the dog's
1995 Fleetwood Flair 27R - EVERYBODY'S !
3LOU5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2024, 09:15 AM   #9
FC
Solving problems

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3LOU5 View Post
I agree with JST.

Drive it till the wheels fall off or the engine detonates. With the money you save replacing it, you can save up for a McLaren.
Ha!

That’s what I thought. I’ll just keep it and hope for the best.

Gun to my head, the new Defender has virtually the same dimensions as the LR4, with some cargo area sacrificed for more leg room. But if the time comes, we’ll see what is available. At that point, given the low use case, it probably makes sense to look for a CPO mid-size SUV.

Thanks everyone.
Old 03-18-2024, 06:13 PM   #10
robg
Carmudgeon

Doesn't answer your question but there's a great channel on Youtube called "LR Time" hosted by a German couple that love Land Rovers (specifically LR3s and 4s) and do all the work themselves. It is actually quite hilarious and entertaining to watch. Here's a video they did on buying an LR4 with a failed engine for example:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fF6pCyHnY_g

I somehow stumbled on their channel a few months ago and got hooked; and i dont even own an LR3 or 4!
robg is offline   Reply With Quote