carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Car Talk

Old 05-26-2023, 03:54 PM   #21
JST

Interesting article here suggesting that Ford might add the Tesla port alongside the current CCS port:

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a4...rging-opinion/
JST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2023, 04:48 PM   #22
ZBB
Relic

Carmudgeonly Ride: A very fast golf cart
Quote:
Originally Posted by JST View Post
Interesting article here suggesting that Ford might add the Tesla port alongside the current CCS port:

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a4...rging-opinion/
Watched Jim Farley on CNBC today… he said “adapter“ several times. He also said he liked Tesla's locations better, but will offer an adapter so both chargers types can be used. He also said the NACS handle is more robust and services being dropped better…

Last edited by ZBB; 05-27-2023 at 07:53 AM.
ZBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2023, 04:59 PM   #23
ZBB
Relic

Quote:
Originally Posted by JST View Post
At this point, CCS and Tesla (or “NACS”, as they’ve dubbed it) are the two biggest Level 3 fast charging options. There is a third, called Chademo, that was originally favored by the Japanese companies but has largely gone away.

In the EU, there is a common plug mandate. But the EU mandates a lot of things.
It’s worth noting that CCS and NACS/Tesla both use the same underlying signaling protocol. The only real difference is the shape of the connector where NACS is smaller and uses the same pins for both L2 and L3 charging. CCS separates the L2 and L3 pins.

The EU standard is also CCS, but uses a different pin layout (called CCS Type 2), but the overall size is the plug is similar to the NA CCS Type 1…

CHAdeMO is defiantly dying. The Nissan Leaf is the last car on sale in the US that offers it. I’m also hearing that many stations that used to have combo CCS / CHAdeMO plugs are replacing the CHAdeMO with a second CCS cable…

Edit - here’s a good comparison of the size difference…
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	CCS vs NACS.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	29.4 KB
ID:	16063  

Last edited by ZBB; 05-26-2023 at 08:51 PM.
ZBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2023, 04:42 PM   #24
robg
Carmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZBB View Post
Watched Jim Farley on CNBC today… he said “adapter“ several times. He also said he liked Tesla's locations better, but will offer an adapter so both chargers types can be used. He also said the NACS handle is more robust and services being dropped better…
That's a good point... couldn't anyone create an adapter that plugs into the CCS port and then provides an outlet for a Tesla "NACS" plug. Kind of like a "Teslatap" but able to handle DC fast charging? I realize that actually making this work requires Tesla's coooperation since they'd have to allow non Tesla customers to login to the Tesla app and enable a supercharger for a non Tesla car. But..that should be just an extension of what they started to offer with their "magic docks" for CCS cars, no?
robg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2023, 06:30 PM   #25
ZBB
Relic

Quote:
Originally Posted by robg View Post
That's a good point... couldn't anyone create an adapter that plugs into the CCS port and then provides an outlet for a Tesla "NACS" plug. Kind of like a "Teslatap" but able to handle DC fast charging? I realize that actually making this work requires Tesla's coooperation since they'd have to allow non Tesla customers to login to the Tesla app and enable a supercharger for a non Tesla car. But..that should be just an extension of what they started to offer with their "magic docks" for CCS cars, no?
That’s basically it. An adapter to fit the plug differences, and a way to “start” charging.

The beauty of the Tesla method is that it’s tied to the car. The Supercharger talks to the car, which then authenticates that the VIN is Supercharger enabled and has a valid payment method. Charging starts within a few seconds, and your card on file with Tesla is billed when charging is done (and the car will tell you how much the charge costs).

For the Magic Docks, Tesla just built in the adapter to the Supercharger. You have to activate the charger from the mobile app, which releases the charger cable with the Magic Dock locked to the cable. Plug in and go. Fairly similar to how other CCS chargers are supposed to work.

It will be interesting to see if Ford activation at Superchargers works more like Tesla or more like Magic Dock. I suspect the Ford Tesla adapter will basically be a Magic Dock with a slightly simpler mechanism (since it won’t have to lock to the Supercharger…).

We have the CCS adapter and have used it a couple times. Basically you can put the adapter into the car, plug the charger cable into the adapter, then activate the charger. Problem is activating the charger is a hit or miss. I’ve been successful at a couple different Volta sites and at a car wash near the house (which isn’t networked — the car wash attendant activates it). But I have not been successful at the one Electrify America station I visited — but I was trying to use their POS on the charger; next time I’ll just use the EA app…
Old 06-06-2023, 06:51 PM   #26
robg
Carmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZBB View Post
That’s basically it. An adapter to fit the plug differences, and a way to “start” charging.

The beauty of the Tesla method is that it’s tied to the car. The Supercharger talks to the car, which then authenticates that the VIN is Supercharger enabled and has a valid payment method. Charging starts within a few seconds, and your card on file with Tesla is billed when charging is done (and the car will tell you how much the charge costs).

For the Magic Docks, Tesla just built in the adapter to the Supercharger. You have to activate the charger from the mobile app, which releases the charger cable with the Magic Dock locked to the cable. Plug in and go. Fairly similar to how other CCS chargers are supposed to work.

It will be interesting to see if Ford activation at Superchargers works more like Tesla or more like Magic Dock. I suspect the Ford Tesla adapter will basically be a Magic Dock with a slightly simpler mechanism (since it won’t have to lock to the Supercharger…).

We have the CCS adapter and have used it a couple times. Basically you can put the adapter into the car, plug the charger cable into the adapter, then activate the charger. Problem is activating the charger is a hit or miss. I’ve been successful at a couple different Volta sites and at a car wash near the house (which isn’t networked — the car wash attendant activates it). But I have not been successful at the one Electrify America station I visited — but I was trying to use their POS on the charger; next time I’ll just use the EA app…
Yeah that would be cool if the Ford adapter will allow it to function more like an actual Tesla (plug and charge). But I suspect that would mean that the car (or the adapter) would need to have more intelligence built into it to be able to communicate back to Tesla for billing purposes. I think you're right that it will function more like the magic dock where you have to use the app to enable it. Then again, the Mach E supports the CCS version of plug and charge so maybe they can somehow adapt that to work with the Tesla chargers.
Old 06-08-2023, 04:57 PM   #27
ZBB
Relic

Wow. Now GM is adopting NACS.. trying to find a link — saw a press release image on Twitter.

This may end CCS in NA…

Edit - link to press release: https://news.gm.com/newsroom.detail....n/0608-gm.html
Old 06-08-2023, 05:20 PM   #28
JST

It sure puts a lot of pressure on the Europeans and Koreans.

Here’s a further article on it.

https://insideevs.com/news/671267/gm...dard-breaking/
JST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2023, 05:31 PM   #29
ZBB
Relic

Makes me wonder if part of the agreement is for future cars to have the NACS charge port on the driver’s rear of passenger front corners (front or rear center should also work). That will help with spacing at Superchargers…
Old 06-08-2023, 07:02 PM   #30
robg
Carmudgeon

I also wonder if the supercharger experience will be as seamless once all these non-Tesla vehicles start using the network given a) the increase in volume b) the inevitable hiccups that will arise given that it won't be 100% Tesla controlled