carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Car Talk > Perseverators Anonymous

Old 05-05-2023, 11:17 PM   #71
wdc330i
dogged

Carmudgeonly Ride: '22 M440 xDrive GC
I have driven various Macans and was not impressed. The one Cayenne I drove (years ago), I was much more impressed.

All this may change with the EV versions of both.

But, I have yet to drive an SUV that I prefer to my sedans/convertibles/roadsters, etc.

I just cannot have one as my only car. A second occasional car, yes. But, I barely drive the car I have. And it can do 95 percent of what I need, while being 75% of the fun I like in driving. The GC was a weird choice. And I barely remember why I chose it (although it was in the back of my mind for a long time), but it turns out to have been such a great decision. Really perfect for my needs and most of my wants.

It’s an oddball car, but for a long time I had hoped BMW would bring a high line/more powerful 3 wagon to the US. This is as close as i can get. And it’s pretty darn great.

Edit: I’ve had X5s for more than 10 years and they were never my first choice to drive, unless I was cramming in all the pets, kid, etc., for a highway trip.

I also never really wanted to drive our 5 wagon. But it was a great highway cruiser.

The 4 GC (secretly a 3 iteration) is such a great fit. And it has grown up with me and my needs.

Last edited by wdc330i; 05-05-2023 at 11:29 PM.
wdc330i is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2023, 08:57 AM   #72
SCA
Jaded

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdc330i View Post
I have yet to drive an SUV that I prefer to my sedans.
I am the total opposite of that. My dislike for sedans begin early in my youth as I significantly preferred coupes to sedans, but most coupes today are just as large as their sedan counterpart.

It is certainly a wonderful thing that those of us that are automotive enthusiast are given so many different choices from some quality manufacturers.

My parents have owned many X5s, two of every generation (pre-LCI & LCI) and in my opinion, they have been very difficult to beat. While the G05 drives amazingly I cannot get on board with the exterior styling. It simply does not do it for me and I was hoping that the LCI would rectify that. Fail…

Edit: I will state that one sedan I have owned and thoroughly enjoyed was my ‘04 manual, ZHP.

Last edited by SCA; 05-06-2023 at 12:22 PM.
SCA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2023, 03:10 PM   #73
robg
Carmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdc330i View Post
I have driven various Macans and was not impressed. The one Cayenne I drove (years ago), I was much more impressed.

All this may change with the EV versions of both.

But, I have yet to drive an SUV that I prefer to my sedans/convertibles/roadsters, etc.

I just cannot have one as my only car. A second occasional car, yes. But, I barely drive the car I have. And it can do 95 percent of what I need, while being 75% of the fun I like in driving. The GC was a weird choice. And I barely remember why I chose it (although it was in the back of my mind for a long time), but it turns out to have been such a great decision. Really perfect for my needs and most of my wants.

It’s an oddball car, but for a long time I had hoped BMW would bring a high line/more powerful 3 wagon to the US. This is as close as i can get. And it’s pretty darn great.

Edit: I’ve had X5s for more than 10 years and they were never my first choice to drive, unless I was cramming in all the pets, kid, etc., for a highway trip.

I also never really wanted to drive our 5 wagon. But it was a great highway cruiser.

The 4 GC (secretly a 3 iteration) is such a great fit. And it has grown up with me and my needs.

Makes sense. The cars I’m most interested in now are some variation of the hatchback theme.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
robg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2023, 02:19 PM   #74
Jeff_DML
Old Fart

Carmudgeonly Ride: T4R,GTI

oh, that is bad. Scratched up and nasty in no time based on my GTI piano black.
Jeff_DML is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2023, 06:34 PM   #75
robg
Carmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff_DML View Post

oh, that is bad. Scratched up and nasty in no time based on my GTI piano black.
Yeah but atleast they have physical controls for HVAC! (That's becoming prize worthy these days)
robg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2023, 06:41 PM   #76
wdc330i
dogged

Carmudgeonly Ride: '22 M440 xDrive GC
Quote:
Originally Posted by robg View Post
Yeah but atleast they have physical controls for HVAC! (That's becoming prize worthy these days)
I have the last of the BMWs with all controls in all forms…Can never sell.
wdc330i is online now   Reply With Quote