carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Car Talk > Perseverators Anonymous

Old 04-02-2023, 03:20 PM   #1
Alan
Carmudgeon

PPF pricing and areas of coverage

I never had it done but I did schedule the Corvette to get done in late April by a place that 90% of what they do is PPF and wraps.

When I went they had a lot of high end cars, it was pretty amazing but they also had 3 C8’s and when I scheduled mine there were 3 other C8’s ahead of me to get done.

So I wanted some opinions on what I should do …. I am having the front hood, front bumper, front fenders and the rocker panels which is the lower spot from the front wheel to the back wheel and part of the air scoop right behind the doors done as well as the boomerang’s which is the the part of the door that has a different color, in my case they are black.

I was thinking of also getting the A pillars and that little part right above the windshield done in front of the targa roof.

My big concern is I drive on an expressway 5 days a week that seems to always have dump trucks and my R8 as well as the 911 got slammed by rocks each one time only but it chipped the hell out of each car, the R8 went from maybe one chip to over 40 in one drive. I don’t recall either car ever getting the A pillars hit but all I picture is a dump truck slamming the corvette and then i’ll be upset I didn’t spend the extra $400 on the a Pillars ….

The price is $3900 for what I described and if I don’t do the a pillars and the small part of the roof it will be $3500.

I did get a cheaper price of $2700 without asking about the a pillars but that shop while they have a good rep didn’t seem nearly as confident as the one with the higher price.

Are you guys getting the A pillars done and front roof done ?

Are you doing the whole car or just partial ?
Alan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2023, 07:59 AM   #2
JST

I did not do the A pillars; mine is the front including the mirrors but not the whole car.

I don’t think the A pillars are likely to take a big hit, but at the same time the relatively small extra expense may be worth it.
JST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2023, 03:39 PM   #3
lemming
Western Anomaly

Carmudgeonly Ride: White Orca
I think get the extra coverage on the A pillar. And as much of the front of the car as is possible.

lemming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2023, 03:46 PM   #4
John V
No more BMWs

Carmudgeonly Ride: Ram, MS3, CX-5, RX-8
The A-pillars aren't critical IMO, they rarely get hit, but they should be cheap. I didn't ask my installer to do them but he threw them in for free.

The price seems really high, but that might just be a function of your area, or maybe the C8 is tougher than the Cayman. My install was $2700 for more coverage.
John V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2023, 07:06 PM   #5
Alan
Carmudgeon

Thanks for the feedback .... I agree I think the price is on the higher side but I had a very good feeling with the confidence they had.

The cheaper shop didn't seem nearly as confident and started showing me a white car that had PPF done and he was pointing out the dirt around the seams while telling me how white is one of the worst colors to PPF because they always show dirt by the seams.
Old 04-04-2023, 07:48 AM   #6
SCA
Jaded

My X5 has Xpel Ultimate applied to the following: full hood, full front fenders, full front bumper cover, headlights, fog lights, front and rear wheel arches, A-pillars, the part of the roof in between the windshield and the panoramic roof, mirror caps, door cups, rocker panels, lower part of all four doors, and just aft of the rear wheels on the lower part of the rear bumper cover.

Total cost was around $3200 in June of 2017.
SCA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2023, 07:55 AM   #7
John V
No more BMWs

Carmudgeonly Ride: Ram, MS3, CX-5, RX-8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post
Thanks for the feedback .... I agree I think the price is on the higher side but I had a very good feeling with the confidence they had.
You should go for it. The difference in cost isn't that much in the big picture.
John V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2023, 08:20 AM   #8
SARAFIL
I like BMWs

Carmudgeonly Ride: X5 M50 / M550
Quote:
Originally Posted by John V View Post
You should go for it. The difference in cost isn't that much in the big picture.

+1

Alan, we know how you are about your cars. I’m sure you’ll kick yourself if you end up with a chip on one of the A pillars. The cost difference is pretty small so just go for it! 😁
Old 04-04-2023, 09:57 AM   #9
SCA
Jaded

Quote:
Originally Posted by SARAFIL View Post
Alan, we know how you are about your cars. I’m sure you’ll kick yourself if you end up with a chip on one of the A pillars. The cost difference is pretty small so just go for it! 😁
Agreed!
SCA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2023, 09:34 PM   #10
Alan
Carmudgeon

Thanks .. I always appreciate the feedback …. I guess the A pillars and front of the targa are in … just wish they threw it in like they did for John.