carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Car Talk > Perseverators Anonymous

Old 03-28-2023, 12:25 PM   #51
robg
Carmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemming View Post
Think their engines are Audi engines. The 2.9L twin turbo V6. And the V8 is the cayenne/QSQ8 gig, or so I thought.

Yup

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
robg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2023, 12:56 PM   #52
lemming
Western Anomaly

Carmudgeonly Ride: White Orca
Just a running update. About 4000 miles added here.

I still like the Porsche GTI mobile.

Handles pretty well for lacking the adaptive dampers. The GTI engine is fine. In 85% of the driving it propels the 4000lb vehicle okay. I think the PDK makes up for the engine’s deficiencies. Mostly.

There’s still a hole where there’s no power going from cruising speed (say 80 mph) to passing speed (say 85 to…..9x mph). The PDK has to kick down to 4th gear. Takes awhile.

Sold the GLC43. I just couldn’t recover from that stupid 9G Trionic transmission. Looking for something fun to complement a very competent Porsche GTI.

lemming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2023, 11:37 AM   #53
robg
Carmudgeon

Thanks for the update! I was perusing my local Porsche dealers inventory this weekend and noticed that they have a CPO 2023 Macan T for 65k. The original sticker is 80k so its pretty loaded with full leather, air suspension, surround view, upgraded seats, Bose, etc. It appears to be about 6 months old so i'm assuming it was a loaner or maybe demo. Kind of an interesting prospect since the CPO warranty would mean it's covered for 5 1/2 years from today...

I admit that I didn't have the best impression of a the Macan I rented in LA a couple years ago...the drivetrain felt dangerously lethargic from a standstill, 4 cylinder vibration could be felt at idle, the base seats were uncomfortable (lacking even basic lumbar adjusment) and hot (with that horrid fake suede), interior storage was limited and the tech felt outdated. But maybe the tweaks they've made since then, plus the better seats would change my mind. It also bugs me that a compact 4k pound 4 cylinder Macan has the same fuel economy as my 5k pound 6 cylinder mid-size SUV...with roughly the same acceleration too. My wife seemed to like it atleast. Lemming jokingly referring to it as a Porsche GTI also kind of re-framed how I think of it in my mind. Based on Porsche residual values, these things seem to hold their values well, so it could be a relatively affordable ownership prospect if I kept it for the warranty period.

They also have an S model of similar spec and age, but are only offering that at a 3k discount from the original sticker (82k from 85k) so not as appealing of a deal. Plus the S manages to get Chevy suburban levels of fuel economy which is just absurd in 2023. I also have trouble thinking of the Macan as an 80k vehicle. A BMW X3 40i blows the Macan out of the water in nearly every way, but a) I hate both of my local BMW dealers b) I have to accept that I just dont find any BMW seats comfortable c) they've uglified it w/ the facelift.

What do you guys think of this deal? I also noticed that CPO Taycans are finally starting to approach reasonable prices. The dealer had a 2020 4S advertised for 90k (still more than i'd want to pay for it but better than 6 months ago for sure). I think you guys have poisoned my mind with all the Porsche talk on this board!

Last edited by robg; 07-10-2023 at 11:58 AM.
Old 07-10-2023, 02:37 PM   #54
lemming
Western Anomaly

Preowned is the way to go. That’s the first thing.

Second, I’d love a Macan S. But where I sit right now I’m not feeling like I’m missing much.

The Taycan CPO would be amazing and I’m prob looking at CPO Taycans also.

Have you’d driven one? I forget.

Old 07-10-2023, 02:51 PM   #55
Jeff_DML
Old Fart

Carmudgeonly Ride: T4R,GTI
yeah you should go drive on.

I was considering a Macan but got the GTI instead. I do not have the lemming fleet so had trouble spending that kind of money for a $25k GTI VWAG corporate engine. So I was focused on the S for me. I think at the time that was a Audi engine, basically I dont think there is an actually porsche engine available in the Macan so theres that. I am rambling
Jeff_DML is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2023, 03:30 PM   #56
robg
Carmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff_DML View Post
yeah you should go drive on.

I was considering a Macan but got the GTI instead. I do not have the lemming fleet so had trouble spending that kind of money for a $25k GTI VWAG corporate engine. So I was focused on the S for me. I think at the time that was a Audi engine, basically I dont think there is an actually porsche engine available in the Macan so theres that. I am rambling

Funny enough I also have a GTI on order. Not sure what’s going on with that. Also not sure how I feel about the mk 8 interior nonsense.

As for the macan, yeah all the current engines are shared with Audi. The v6 is nkw the 2.9 version found in the RS5 (and also panamera) but they tune it to different power levels got the S and GTS. Previously, the S used the 3.0 Audi v6 found in the s5, a6, etc. I think when the macan was first launched they may have used the Porsche designed v6 from the 1st gen panamera but not sure.

Old 07-10-2023, 03:34 PM   #57
robg
Carmudgeon

Porsche GTI

Quote:
Preowned is the way to go. That’s the first thing.

Second, I’d love a Macan S. But where I sit right now I’m not feeling like I’m missing much.

The Taycan CPO would be amazing and I’m prob looking at CPO Taycans also.

Have you’d driven one? I forget.

Yeah I’ve driven a RWD taycan as well as a 4s. In reality the RWD is more than adequate. But I’d really love the wagon version of the taycan and they are much harder to find (and seem to command higher prices). Think I’d always have regrets if I went with the sedan . Theres a nice blue one that I always see driving around and I drool over it. There was a nicely specced taycan wagon that came up for sale in Alabama a few months ago for a good price. Cheapest one I’ve seen since. Kinda kicking myself but the hassle of purchasing an EV from a dealer 1500 miles a way put a damper on it. I do suspect that dealers in the Deep South woukd be the most likely to offer good deals on EVs though ..not much of a market for them there

Ha not sure how I got onto Taycans when the topic was macans!

Last edited by robg; 07-10-2023 at 03:45 PM.
Old 07-12-2023, 02:13 PM   #58
lemming
Western Anomaly

Quote:
Originally Posted by robg View Post
Yeah I’ve driven a RWD taycan as well as a 4s. In reality the RWD is more than adequate. But I’d really love the wagon version of the taycan and they are much harder to find (and seem to command higher prices). Think I’d always have regrets if I went with the sedan . Theres a nice blue one that I always see driving around and I drool over it. There was a nicely specced taycan wagon that came up for sale in Alabama a few months ago for a good price. Cheapest one I’ve seen since. Kinda kicking myself but the hassle of purchasing an EV from a dealer 1500 miles a way put a damper on it. I do suspect that dealers in the Deep South woukd be the most likely to offer good deals on EVs though ..not much of a market for them there

Ha not sure how I got onto Taycans when the topic was macans!

I’d totally buy a Taycan or a Macan EV.

Two reasons: I loathe Elon Musk as many of us do. Second, I trust the fit and finish of Porsche/Audi and their engineering.

Old 07-12-2023, 02:57 PM   #59
robg
Carmudgeon

Porsche GTI

Quote:
I’d totally buy a Taycan or a Macan EV.

Two reasons: I loathe Elon Musk as many of us do. Second, I trust the fit and finish of Porsche/Audi and their engineering.
Same feelings on Musk/Tesla. I have to admit that I walked by a red Model 3 this morning and was kind of tempted given how cheap they are these days...but...no.

I seem to have an almost irrational desire for a Taycan wagon. I just love the way they look plus the sublime ride quality I've experienced on test drives. Probably not the best choice given the large external size and tight interior room...but I just seem to keep coming back to the idea. Macan EV will probably be better choice but not sure when we'll finally see those...

I did setup an update on Porsche's "Finder" website to email me everytime a new CPO taycan comes up with the options/pricing I want. Weirdly, relatively few of them are equipped with adaptive cruise control. Not sure who buys 100k+ luxury EVs without checking that box...but I guess I'm not a true hardcore Porsche EV driver who demands complete control of their precision driving machine in stop and go traffic. Plus that all important 1/2 pound weight savings helps to improve handling

Last edited by robg; 07-12-2023 at 03:08 PM.