carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Car Talk > Perseverators Anonymous

Old 03-11-2023, 10:26 AM   #11
JST

Makes sense, and yes sounds very tailored to the American use case (and maybe the Chinese tax code).

I like the way the Macan looks, especially since someone pointed out the way the rear resembles the 928. Certainly wouldn’t want it as my only car but I can see how it makes sense in your case.

Just so, so tired of 2 liter turbos though.
JST is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2023, 10:58 AM   #12
FC
Solving problems

Carmudgeonly Ride: M5 / 718 GTS / Cooper S / GTI / LR4
Quote:
Originally Posted by JST View Post
Just so, so tired of 2 liter turbos though.
Agreed. Especially on >$60k vehicles.
FC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2023, 11:04 AM   #13
robg
Carmudgeon

Porsche GTI

Nice write up. My experience with it was kind of the opposite: found that it kind of bogged from a start but was fine once on the highway .

You mentioned Mercedes in comparison - have you tried an x3 40? Great engine and you could get one for the same price as a base macan. ZF 8 speed but bmw are masters at making torque converter automatics shift seamlessly and quickly . I also think bmw does a nice job on the interior and prefer it to both the macan and glc

I will say that the Macans seem to hold their values quite well …

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
robg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2023, 01:56 PM   #14
lemming
Western Anomaly

Carmudgeonly Ride: White Orca
Quote:
Originally Posted by FC View Post
Agreed. Especially on >$60k vehicles.
Yes. The 2.0 litre turbocharged four cylinder engine is very uninspiring.

But it is extremely effective. In the 2022’s, it presents with 295 ft-lbs, which is impressive to me. My GT3 only has 309 ft-lbs.

Re: >$60,000? Buy CPO. Then it is assuredly not that much money.

Re: BMW X3 — I had considered. But fundamentally, this was always going to be a Porsche purchase. Working toward my allocation priority. It is a business relationship. You cannot expect to buy elsewhere but then demand a GT3 allocation.

Instead, you say, “while I”m not a 918 buyer….I could be. I’ve bought X number of cars for which you’ve gotten a trade-in plus my sale.”

And voila. Magic can happen.

lemming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2023, 03:37 PM   #15
robg
Carmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemming View Post

But it is extremely effective. In the 2022’s, it presents with 295 ft-lbs, which is impressive to me. My GT3 only has 309 ft-lbs.

Re: BMW X3 — I had considered. But fundamentally, this was always going to be a Porsche purchase. Working toward my allocation priority. It is a business relationship. You cannot expect to buy elsewhere but then demand a GT3 allocation.

Instead, you say, “while I”m not a 918 buyer….I could be. I’ve bought X number of cars for which you’ve gotten a trade-in plus my sale.”

Ah ok makes sense why you want to stick with Porsche

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
robg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2023, 04:19 PM   #16
equ
Alphanumeric

Carmudgeonly Ride: 981S, 340i
I owned a 3.6 macan turbo for half a year. I thought steering & handling were more than fine for an suv. At the time I thought the 3.0 turbos lacked torque/oomph. I never complained about the torque of the 3.6.

I did have a loaner 4-cyl macan for a long drive. 200+ miles. I can't see how I'd get one over a GTI with the same engine. Or even an a4 or a 4-cyl 3-series.

I hear the turbo is gone and there are S & GTS trims with a hotted up 2.9. I haven't read up on these. They can tune up the turbo to match the hp numbers but the low end will be just enough. I'm sure they are quite good, just not for me. I traded mine for a 340i and never looked back.
equ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2023, 09:52 PM   #17
Terri Kennedy
There and back again

Carmudgeonly Ride: 2003 BMW 325xiT; looking for a new fun car
Quote:
Conditions: hard rain and standing water. Apparently they don’t employ engineers to do the roads in SoCal. There’s no such thing as a crowned road. So water pools. Also, drainage? What’s that? But surfing? Bro. The waves are good.
"It pours, man, it pours" -- Albert Hammond

There probably isn't much point to crowning the roads when the road ceases to exist after a rainstorm. I thought they went crazy with the flood indicator poles where the roads pass over culverts (some of those poles indicate up to 6' of water above the road). But then...

Terri Kennedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2023, 10:21 PM   #18
wdc330i
dogged

Carmudgeonly Ride: '22 M440 xDrive GC
Quote:

I really wanted to like the Macan. I had read so much about it, but I just didn’t love it—and I drove the previous S. I cross-shopped it with the Mazda CX-5 Turbo and for the money, really preferred the Mazda—which I bought.

That said, I would seriously consider the EV version of the Macan when it gets here.
wdc330i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2023, 08:10 PM   #19
lemming
Western Anomaly

Carmudgeonly Ride: White Orca
Interesting feedback. Thanks. I’ll file it for later down the line so you guys can say “I told you so”.

I think between the AMG43 and the Macan, most bases are covered now.

These two just keep the miles down on the 3 silver cars.

lemming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2023, 08:18 PM   #20
JST

So which Macan did you get?
JST is online now   Reply With Quote