carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Car Talk

Old 03-08-2023, 06:12 PM   #31
equ
Alphanumeric

Carmudgeonly Ride: 981S, 340i
Quote:
Originally Posted by John V View Post
DC is such a unique hell for driving. There's a good amount of people with a complete disregard for red lights. Speed cameras are everywhere, so having traffic flow along at a reasonable pace with periodic slowdowns and stoppages as people slam on the brakes is a normal thing. The roads are generally pretty poorly maintained so having something with low-profile tires is pretty discouraged. And then there's the beltway (so not actually DC, but MD and VA) where there's a decent amount of street racing in and out of traffic.
You all drive way more miles than me and likely in more locales within the US. JST even had the jacking experience, whew! I do international driving nearly every year and riding in some years.

I had a near miss on the moto when someone blew a red going 35-40mph. The t-boning I narrowly avoided would have either killed me or destroyed my left leg/side. I've also been road raged against, also on the motorcycle, when I waited for a pedestrian to cross when said ped had right-of-way. Both of these within a mile of my house. I give up.

And sorry about the jack. Carry on about 80's cars.
equ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2023, 06:40 PM   #32
wdc330i
dogged

Carmudgeonly Ride: '22 M440 xDrive GC
Quote:
Originally Posted by equ View Post
You all drive way more miles than me and likely in more locales within the US. JST even had the jacking experience, whew! I do international driving nearly every year and riding in some years.

I had a near miss on the moto when someone blew a red going 35-40mph. The t-boning I narrowly avoided would have either killed me or destroyed my left leg/side. I've also been road raged against, also on the motorcycle, when I waited for a pedestrian to cross when said ped had right-of-way. Both of these within a mile of my house. I give up.

And sorry about the jack. Carry on about 80's cars.
Atlanta is insane, too. Tons of road rage, as well—with everyone heavily armed. Thank goodness I work from home…
wdc330i is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2023, 09:07 PM   #33
John V
No more BMWs

Carmudgeonly Ride: Ram, MS3, CX-5, RX-8
Quote:
Originally Posted by dan View Post
Man I'm glad I never really drive in traffic
I mean there's a reason I don't ever go into DC anymore

And I sold my last motorcycle about five years ago and I don't ever see myself riding again. Too many close calls with idiots to make it worth the risk.
John V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2023, 09:12 PM   #34
wdc330i
dogged

Carmudgeonly Ride: '22 M440 xDrive GC
Quote:
Originally Posted by John V View Post
I mean there's a reason I don't ever go into DC anymore
I tried to drive everywhere via Beach Drive. Not always successful.
wdc330i is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2023, 04:44 PM   #35
lemming
Western Anomaly

Carmudgeonly Ride: White Orca
Just saw the Ferrari SF90 review.

4000 pounds. Obviously a super car. But OMG. This is what the entry level Ferrari sports car has become?

Something that weighs 4000lbs?

We will look back to the 1980s cars and wonder about an era when cars were pretty light and tidy.

lemming is offline   Reply With Quote