carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Car Talk > Perseverators Anonymous

Old 04-07-2023, 11:11 AM   #101
robg
Carmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCA View Post
My current inventory = ‘88 M3, ‘01 Z3, ‘03 540, ‘06 330, ‘09 Carrera, and ‘17 X5. Manuals with exception of the X5.

Edit: Out of the above I would like to move the 540 this most, but I am fairly upside down with it. I am slowing coming close to selling the M3.
Yeah out of that fleet, I'm not sure I see the point of having a 540, 330 and X5. I'd probably keep the x5 out of that trio since its the newest and most practical. The 88 M3 is very cool and will probably hold its value forever...but my guess is you drive the 09 Carrera more as your "weekend car"? I guess the 01 Z3 stays as its the only convertible...
robg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2023, 06:51 PM   #102
wdc330i
dogged

Carmudgeonly Ride: '22 M440 xDrive GC
Quote:
My current inventory = ‘88 M3, ‘01 Z3, ‘03 540, ‘06 330, ‘09 Carrera, and ‘17 X5. Manuals with exception of the X5.

Edit: Out of the above I would like to move the 540 this most, but I am fairly upside down with it. I am slowing coming close to selling the M3.
Yep, Some redundancy there. Weakest link really seems to be the e90, IMO.

My take? I would sell the 5 and the 3 and fund the warranty for the X5. Or sell all three and buy the M550 we’ve been talking about.
wdc330i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2023, 07:47 AM   #103
SCA
Jaded

Umm… age and reliability. E90 330s were produced for one year only and are generally worth very little now. They did not age well either. The Z3 is never leaving unless I could acquire a lower mileage example. I have $10k it and that is all I could get out of it if I needed to. I would prefer to move the following, M3, 540, and X5. To move the M3 and 540 will be a major hassle and truthfully I rather not deal with it, especially the flock of tire kickers. The point of the 540 was to scratch the itch that I had for a E39 M5. I did not work! Oh! I also reluctantly gave my kid the ZHP and the 540 was its replacement.

Hmm… M550? That discussion was not with me. I am done with sedans. Truthfully I have never been a huge fan of them. SAVs and coupes are my preference.

Edit: When I previously stated that I am upside down in the 540 that was no exaggeration. I have a fortune in that car. Unfortunately, I see myself stuck with it until my demise.

Another extended warranty on the current X5 is $3800. It is time to move on from it as I do not desire to spend a total of 10 years with it.

Last edited by SCA; 04-08-2023 at 07:58 AM.
SCA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2023, 08:20 AM   #104
wdc330i
dogged

Carmudgeonly Ride: '22 M440 xDrive GC
Quote:
Umm… age and reliability. E90 330s were produced for one year only and are generally worth very little now. They did not age well either. The Z3 is never leaving unless I could acquire a lower mileage example. I have $10k it and that is all I could get out of it if I needed to. I would prefer to move the following, M3, 540, and X5. To move the M3 and 540 will be a major hassle and truthfully I rather not deal with it, especially the flock of tire kickers. The point of the 540 was to scratch the itch that I had for a E39 M5. I did not work! Oh! I also reluctantly gave my kid the ZHP and the 540 was its replacement.

Hmm… M550? That discussion was not with me. I am done with sedans. Truthfully I have never been a huge fan of them. SAVs and coupes are my preference.

Edit: When I previously stated that I am upside down in the 540 that was no exaggeration. I have a fortune in that car. Unfortunately, I see myself stuck with it until my demise.

Another extended warranty on the current X5 is $3800. It is time to move on from it as I do not desire to spend a total of 10 years with it.
And then there’s the M2 coming…
wdc330i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2023, 10:36 AM   #105
SARAFIL
I like BMWs

Carmudgeonly Ride: X5 M50 / M550
G05 X5 LCI leaked

Quote:

Where do you keep all of these cars? (Other than the M3 - we know where that is)

Assuming you have ongoing holding costs - insurance, maintenance, etc. if the E39 doesn’t satisfy you, aren’t you better off getting rid of it even if it means taking a loss? What you’ve paid for it is a sunk cost. I’d probably say same about E90. Doesn’t seem like you put a lot of miles on any of these cars so if they are not appreciating collectables or don’t excite you, why hold on to them? I know they’re in excellent condition so maybe submit them both to BAT this year and cash out!!

Seems like the Porsche and Z3 are the special ones for you, and you need some type of replacement for the X5, plus have the M2 coming. Do the others actually serve a purpose?
Old 04-08-2023, 11:19 AM   #106
robg
Carmudgeon

G05 X5 LCI leaked

Yep …BaT might be a good way to get rid of these cars. The 88 m3 alone could probably cover the losses from the 330 and 540! As sarafil mentioned, don’t fall for the sunk cost fallacy. Get rid of them and move on because they’ll continue to cost you money just to keep.

Not sure what to tell you about the x5. Sounds like you’re bored of it but nothing on the market is really grabbing you at the moment. Based on what you’ve said it seems like the only acceptable replacements would be a new x5 or maybe a Porsche suv…either of which are going to end up likely costing north of 80k. Not sure a new 6 cyl x5 will be a different enough experience from your current one. Macan is probably too small and base cayennes are boring. Maybe a CPO v8 x5?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 04-08-2023, 12:20 PM   #107
SCA
Jaded

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdc330i View Post
And then there’s the M2 coming…
Eventually… with the way things are going in regards to an allocation it will probably be late summer to late fall.

Quote:
Originally Posted by robg View Post
Yep …BaT might be a good way to get rid of these cars. The 88 m3 alone could probably cover the losses from the 330 and 540! As sarafil mentioned, don’t fall for the sunk cost fallacy. Get rid of them and move on because they’ll continue to cost you money just to keep.

Not sure what to tell you about the x5. Sounds like you’re bored of it but nothing on the market is really grabbing you at the moment. Based on what you’ve said it seems like the only acceptable replacements would be a new x5 or maybe a Porsche suv…either of which are going to end up likely costing north of 80k. Not sure a new 6 cyl x5 will be a different enough experience from your current one. Macan is probably too small and base cayennes are boring. Maybe a CPO v8 x5?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BaT tends to be a pain in the ass. It can also be exceptionally time consuming. The used market is also on a downturn therefore not really a great time to sell. BTW, If I was cash strapped, I would have liquidated a long time ago.

A Cayenne is stupidly expensive in comparison to an equivalent X5. A fairly loaded B58 X5 is $83k. The G05 B58 also received a power bump in for MY24. A Cayenne is in the $110k+ range and the facelift is to be revealed on the 18th. Surely Porsche is to have a substantial price increase on it too.. The G05 X5 is the better buy. Regarding a CPO, My 0.02, it would be rather foolish move to give up a vehicle owned since new for a CPO unit. The N63 is still a problematic engine too. I have zero desire in owning one. My brother just rid himself of his early ‘21 X7 M50i (N63TU) with under 10k miles because of N63 fears. He ordered a fully loaded X7 M60i (S68) last week. It should arrive sometime in June.

Edit: SARAFIL, I am uncertain how, but I missed your post prior to posting the above. I am typed out for now. Quickly, The Z3 and E90 are garage kept at my former residence. The lost on the E39 would be in the $15-20k range plus an additional $5-8k in new parts that were headed to NLA or a significant price increase. I was not exaggerating on being upside down.

Let me also emphasize that the older I get, the less patience I have for dealing with the general public.

Last edited by SCA; 04-08-2023 at 01:07 PM.
Old 04-08-2023, 01:59 PM   #108
robg
Carmudgeon

Quote:
Eventually… with the way things are going in regards to an allocation it will probably be late summer to late fall.

BaT tends to be a pain in the ass. It can also be exceptionally time consuming. The used market is also on a downturn therefore not really a great time to sell. BTW, If I was cash strapped, I would have liquidated a long time ago.

A Cayenne is stupidly expensive in comparison to an equivalent X5. A fairly loaded B58 X5 is $83k. The G05 B58 also received a power bump in for MY24. A Cayenne is in the $110k+ range and the facelift is to be revealed on the 18th. Surely Porsche is to have a substantial price increase on it too.. The G05 X5 is the better buy. Regarding a CPO, My 0.02, it would be rather foolish move to give up a vehicle owned since new for a CPO unit. The N63 is still a problematic engine too. I have zero desire in owning one. My brother just rid himself of his early ‘21 X7 M50i (N63TU) with under 10k miles because of N63 fears. He ordered a fully loaded X7 M60i (S68) last week. It should arrive sometime in June.

Edit: SARAFIL, I am uncertain how, but I missed your post prior to posting the above. I am typed out for now. Quickly, The Z3 and E90 are garage kept at my former residence. The lost on the E39 would be in the $15-20k range plus an additional $5-8k in new parts that were headed to NLA or a significant price increase. I was not exaggerating on being upside down.

Let me also emphasize that the older I get, the less patience I have for dealing with the general public.
Yeah- I certainly wasn't recommending going the Cayenne route for all the reasons you stated. I do see your point about the risks of a v8 x5... Sounds like you are leaning toward buying a new LCI 6 cyl x5 in the near future. My thought is just that the upgrade from your current one to a new one (and depreciation over the next 5-7 years) is going to be way more than the cost of an extended warranty + maintenance + depreciation for the current one. And I wonder if it will feel like enough of a difference/upgrade to be worth it after the glow of a new car wears off.

Another crazy suggestion-- maybe buy one of the last of the v8 Lexus GXs? Would be able to serve as a comfortable utility vehicle with less long term repair concerns than a german car.
Old 04-08-2023, 05:02 PM   #109
SCA
Jaded

Quote:
Originally Posted by robg View Post
Yeah- I certainly wasn't recommending going the Cayenne route for all the reasons you stated. I do see your point about the risks of a v8 x5... Sounds like you are leaning toward buying a new LCI 6 cyl x5 in the near future. My thought is just that the upgrade from your current one to a new one (and depreciation over the next 5-7 years) is going to be way more than the cost of an extended warranty + maintenance + depreciation for the current one. And I wonder if it will feel like enough of a difference/upgrade to be worth it after the glow of a new car wears off.

Another crazy suggestion-- maybe buy one of the last of the v8 Lexus GXs? Would be able to serve as a comfortable utility vehicle with less long term repair concerns than a german car.

I am done with Toyota after my ‘14 4Runner Limited. The GX is essentially a V8 4Runner.
Old 04-10-2023, 12:23 PM   #110
robg
Carmudgeon

Quote:
I am done with Toyota after my ‘14 4Runner Limited. The GX is essentially a V8 4Runner.
Gotcha...I remember someone here had a 4Runner and I guess it was you!