carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > The Marketplace

Old 04-13-2022, 12:23 PM   #31
FC
Solving problems

Carmudgeonly Ride: M5 / 718 GTS / Cooper S / GTI / LR4
Apparently the M3 cost me as much to insure as the LR4 & GTI combined. My rate was just cut in half.
FC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2022, 11:56 AM   #32
Theo
Crazy Old Man

Carmudgeonly Ride: M2C Stick
What a crazy used car market! Seems like you got to enjoy the M3 you wanted for almost nothing. What a deal!! Another congrats!

Just makes you want to sell anything before the used car market corrects itself. But then the only good prospect is buying a new car to replace it and nothing used.

If you can find a dealer with ADM.
Old 04-18-2022, 02:31 PM   #33
FC
Solving problems

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theo View Post
What a crazy used car market! Seems like you got to enjoy the M3 you wanted for almost nothing. What a deal!! Another congrats!

Just makes you want to sell anything before the used car market corrects itself. But then the only good prospect is buying a new car to replace it and nothing used.

If you can find a dealer with ADM.
Definitely got most of my money back, which is crazy. My GTI is worth more than I paid 15 months ago.

Sometimes, with the M3 now gone, I wish I had something nicer as a daily, but 1) the GTI is quite good and very economical to run all things considered, and 2) I am not sure what I'd get right now for the given use that would be worth it. The timing is pretty perfect for me to use the GTI for another couple of years before upgrading it and leaving it to the family to use for whatever, making the LR4 even more specialized. I imagine that at that point there will be better EV options, but perhaps a used Taycan may be an option. In the meantime, I hope to be only ~1 year away from a BGTS European Delivery.
Old 04-18-2022, 03:09 PM   #34
clyde
Chief title editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by FC View Post
Definitely got most of my money back, which is crazy. My GTI is worth more than I paid 15 months ago.

Sometimes, with the M3 now gone, I wish I had something nicer as a daily, but 1) the GTI is quite good and very economical to run all things considered, and 2) I am not sure what I'd get right now for the given use that would be worth it. The timing is pretty perfect for me to use the GTI for another couple of years before upgrading it and leaving it to the family to use for whatever, making the LR4 even more specialized. I imagine that at that point there will be better EV options, but perhaps a used Taycan may be an option. In the meantime, I hope to be only ~1 year away from a BGTS European Delivery.
I think you sold at a nearly perfect time and you're probably best off not buying anything to replace it anytime soon if you need to. I really think you played the hand you were dealt about as well as it could have been played. (Maybe you could have put some more miles on the car while you had it, but that's about it.)

Team WTF?!
What are you gonna do?
clyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2022, 04:18 PM   #35
FC
Solving problems

Quote:
Originally Posted by clyde View Post
I think you sold at a nearly perfect time and you're probably best off not buying anything to replace it anytime soon if you need to. I really think you played the hand you were dealt about as well as it could have been played. (Maybe you could have put some more miles on the car while you had it, but that's about it.)
Yeah overall, pretty happy. I got very lucky. And you are right. I don't need to buy anything else right now, so might as well enjoy that.

I do wish I would have driven it more, but again, between ED transport, broken ankle, and COVID, some of it was out of my control.
Old 04-18-2022, 05:56 PM   #36
SCA
Jaded

I completely agree with Clyde re your timing. There are a few indicators pointing to the used market beginning to slow down.
SCA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2022, 08:19 PM   #37
wdc330i
dogged

Carmudgeonly Ride: '22 M440 xDrive GC
Yep. Well played. Onward and upward! If you can wait at least two years for your next car, you are in great shape.
wdc330i is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2022, 09:26 PM   #38
JST

Hard to turn down that kind of money for your car!
JST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2022, 01:33 AM   #39
Theo
Crazy Old Man

Carmudgeonly Ride: M2C Stick
This is a perfect market for people with many cars in the stable. Sell hi used and hopefully without ADM get a new car for almost no payments. My issue is I am not that guy. I have one car. Not an often used car since I have put about 7k miles on my car in what 22 months.

So my only recourse is to sell high, btw I bought the M2 used with about 5K miles for a KILLER price right before crazy pandemic prices, compared to todays market, and buy new without ADM.

My plan for the G87.

I guess what I am saying is if you can sell hi used NOW and buy new with no ADM while you can, GO FOR IT!

FC made the right choice! ESP since he wants the 4.0 GTS

EDIT: HOW are you guys getting these GTS’s without huge ADM?

I toyed with the fact that I do not drive that much and getting one and selling it later for maybe even a profit BUT putting 100K into something i will always worry about as my only car.

UMMM FUCK THAT.

Last edited by Theo; 04-21-2022 at 01:53 AM.
Theo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2022, 07:57 PM   #40
wdc330i
dogged

Carmudgeonly Ride: '22 M440 xDrive GC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theo View Post
This is a perfect market for people with many cars in the stable. Sell hi used and hopefully without ADM get a new car for almost no payments. My issue is I am not that guy. I have one car. Not an often used car since I have put about 7k miles on my car in what 22 months.

So my only recourse is to sell high, btw I bought the M2 used with about 5K miles for a KILLER price right before crazy pandemic prices, compared to todays market, and buy new without ADM.

My plan for the G87.

I guess what I am saying is if you can sell hi used NOW and buy new with no ADM while you can, GO FOR IT!

FC made the right choice! ESP since he wants the 4.0 GTS

EDIT: HOW are you guys getting these GTS’s without huge ADM?

I toyed with the fact that I do not drive that much and getting one and selling it later for maybe even a profit BUT putting 100K into something i will always worry about as my only car.

UMMM FUCK THAT.
That was my calculus: get good money (and money off of sales tax) by selling two used cars and buying one new one with a small discount and CCA rebate. No ADM and no missing important options (this is key as well).

My car is missing passenger lumbar adjustment, something no one in any of my BMWs has EVER used. It has everything else.

And, at least for now, I only have to insure and maintain (free maintenance for three years) one car.
wdc330i is online now   Reply With Quote