carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Car Talk

Old 05-16-2023, 02:53 PM   #381
FC
Solving problems

Carmudgeonly Ride: M5 / 718 GTS / Cooper S / GTI / LR4
Quote:
Originally Posted by JST View Post
The service experience has been…hit and miss. But I have to remember that service on my other cars has always usually been terrible, too.

Will update when I get the car back.
I'll consider myself lucky in that our cars have largely been trouble-free and when I've dealt with dealers the experience has been mostly positive. Except for the annoying and dumb policy of no loaner if you didn't buy the car there.
FC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2023, 05:49 PM   #382
wdc330i
dogged

Carmudgeonly Ride: '22 M440 xDrive GC
Quote:
Originally Posted by FC View Post
I'll consider myself lucky in that our cars have largely been trouble-free and when I've dealt with dealers the experience has been mostly positive. Except for the annoying and dumb policy of no loaner if you didn't buy the car there.
Loaners are hard to come by these days, even if you did buy the car there. SO may were sold during the shortages. It takes weeks to get an appointment with one.
wdc330i is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2023, 06:06 PM   #383
TD
Founder emeritus

Knock on wood, I've had zero issues with our Alfa Romeo and our Volkswagen. (The other cars are old enough that I'm not holding their issues against them.)
TD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2023, 08:40 PM   #384
Alan
Carmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdc330i View Post
Loaners are hard to come by these days, even if you did buy the car there. SO may were sold during the shortages. It takes weeks to get an appointment with one.
Yeah it is crazy, I have 2 cars in for service this week and the wait time was crazy, i’ve been driving a Macan loaner for the last few days but Audi didn’t have one unless I wanted to drop my daughters Audi off at the local dealer and they would have driven it to another dealer for service and provided me with a loaner … long story why they need to bring it to another dealer but I decided i’ll just drop it off myself at the other dealer and my daughter can use one of our other cars.

I will say things are getting better then they were in terms of getting loaners but not back to what they were.
Alan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2023, 09:05 AM   #385
FC
Solving problems

Carmudgeonly Ride: M5 / 718 GTS / Cooper S / GTI / LR4
Quote:
Originally Posted by wdc330i View Post
That I can understand. I was talking historically over the last 20 years.
FC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2023, 12:14 PM   #386
dan
redefined

lol this state is so fucked

https://www.mysanantonio.com/busines...x-18101989.php
Old 05-17-2023, 12:17 PM   #387
nate
Oh, are they?

Carmudgeonly Ride: S4
Quote:
Originally Posted by dan View Post
Well, I can see the argument for the extra tax since EVs don't generate gasoline tax revenues for the highway fund.

Much, much worse stuff has come out the legislature this session.
Old 05-17-2023, 01:05 PM   #388
SARAFIL
I like BMWs

Carmudgeonly Ride: X5 M50 / M550
Fuck Tesla

Quote:
Originally Posted by nate View Post
Well, I can see the argument for the extra tax since EVs don't generate gasoline tax revenues for the highway fund.

Much, much worse stuff has come out the legislature this session.

+1 with the intent

Practically speaking though, looks like gas tax is in TX is $0.20 per gallon. $200 EV fee = revenue generated from tax on 1000 gallons. At 20mpg average that’s equivalent to gas tax revenue from someone driving 20k miles per year. Even worse comparison for high MPG cars but better if comparing to fuel economy of a full size truck. Feels like in general there is a bit of an anti-EV “F-you” surcharge built into the $200 EV fee.
Old 05-17-2023, 01:37 PM   #389
nate
Oh, are they?

Carmudgeonly Ride: S4
Quote:
Originally Posted by SARAFIL View Post
+1 with the intent

Practically speaking though, looks like gas tax is in TX is $0.20 per gallon. $200 EV fee = revenue generated from tax on 1000 gallons. At 20mpg average that’s equivalent to gas tax revenue from someone driving 20k miles per year. Even worse comparison for high MPG cars but better if comparing to fuel economy of a full size truck. Feels like in general there is a bit of an anti-EV “F-you” surcharge built into the $200 EV fee.
I have no clue how they came up with $200. Perhaps it's in the legislative record if anyone cares to dig.

That said, if you really want to be precise about it, I think the heavier weight of EVs needs to be factored into that calculation since higher weights factor into highway wear, etc.
Old 06-08-2023, 03:48 PM   #390
dan
redefined

lol

https://www.wired.com/story/a-leaked...-design-flaws/