carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Car Talk > Perseverators Anonymous

Old 04-06-2023, 04:55 PM   #61
Alan
Carmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by John V View Post
This applies to every BMW and every Mercedes
You forgot Audi on that list ...
Alan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2023, 11:07 PM   #62
lip277
The old cranky SOB....

Carmudgeonly Ride: several cars... way too many....
Frankly- any modern car can be a nightmare for maintenance or repair down the road.

My niece and her husband had matching Toyota 4Runner's. Both of them were pretty much lemons.

She traded it in for a recent model X5 and the husband has a work F150 (of which the company allows for full personal use).

Neither of them wants to go near a Toyota ever again.

Go figure... LOL

1970 2800CS - - 2001 740iL - - 2006 997.1 - - 2012 Escalade
1968 Mustang GT Convertible - - 2003 Ford F250 PSD - - 1985 728i
lip277 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2023, 08:26 AM   #63
wdc330i
dogged

Carmudgeonly Ride: '22 M440 xDrive GC
Quote:
Originally Posted by lip277 View Post
Frankly- any modern car can be a nightmare for maintenance or repair down the road.

My niece and her husband had matching Toyota 4Runner's. Both of them were pretty much lemons.

She traded it in for a recent model X5 and the husband has a work F150 (of which the company allows for full personal use).

Neither of them wants to go near a Toyota ever again.

Go figure... LOL
That is quite the outlier anecdote!
wdc330i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2023, 08:34 AM   #64
FC
Solving problems

Carmudgeonly Ride: M5 / 718 GTS / Cooper S / GTI / LR4
Quote:
Originally Posted by wdc330i View Post
That is quite the outlier anecdote!
I can't remember who it was but a person told me they were swearing off Hondas because they had had Accord and a Civic lemons.
FC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2023, 08:46 AM   #65
wdc330i
dogged

Quote:
Originally Posted by FC View Post
I can't remember who it was but a person told me they were swearing off Hondas because they had had Accord and a Civic lemons.
I had heard that about Hondas lately. And, of course, I ditched my Mazda because of two critical manufacturing flaws in the engine.
Old 05-14-2023, 10:36 AM   #66
FC
Solving problems

I've done a bunch of reading and I think the front runners are:

- M550i with DHP (>MY2021, inevitably CPO since it's out of production this year)
- M340i (>MY2023, but probably new so I can spec it)
- i4 M50

The key will be too see the difference in space and comfort between the two. I expect the M340i to handle better due to weight.

Other less likely options to consider:

- E53 (>MY2021) - My wife doesn't like the exterior looks so much.
- 540i (>MY2021, CPO)
- Extremely unlikely: Then new M560i if it is a revelation

I'll try to test drive them soon to see if I can cross some out early and stop wondering.
Old 05-14-2023, 01:45 PM   #67
wdc330i
dogged

Quote:
I've done a bunch of reading and I think the front runners are:

- M550i with DHP (>MY2021, inevitably CPO since it's out of production this year)
- M340i (>MY2023, but probably new so I can spec it)
- i4 M50

The key will be too see the difference in space and comfort between the two. I expect the M340i to handle better due to weight.

Other less likely options to consider:

- E53 (>MY2021) - My wife doesn't like the exterior looks so much.
- 540i (>MY2021, CPO)
- Extremely unlikely: Then new M560i if it is a revelation

I'll try to test drive them soon to see if I can cross some out early and stop wondering.
I'd probably go with the i4 as something complementary to the current fleet, but still spot on with the commuting needs.

Plus, coming from the M3 so recently, it would be both similar and different at the same time. The others might just be a bit lesser in fun and power.

But any well-optioned 5 series will provide the luxe factor you are also missing in the current fleet, so that might be nice as well.
Old 07-12-2023, 12:53 PM   #68
FC
Solving problems

Crazy thought: What about a CPO Giulia QV?

I really wanted one of those when I bought the M3 but didn't go that route because:

- It was too new and AR had just come back to the US
- No stick
- Pricey compared to a ED-discounted M3
- No ED
- I had always wanted an M3

Addressing those points:

- The Giulia QV seems to be surprisingly reliable (seems not worse than BMW)
- No stick is no longer a problem, since all options I'm considering are automatic
- Not considering one new, but the M3 has climbed much more in price by comparison anyway
- I already did ED on an M3

As a plus, the ride seems to be MUCH better than on the M3 (especially ZCP), it seems to have great steering, and be a lot more fun to drive and certainly more unique and special than anything else I am considering (M550i, M430i, 540i).

The drawbacks are that it is not as roomy or nice inside as a 5er or even 3er. It also has fairly crummy fuel economy, same as the V8 M550i.

I'd be looking at a >MY2020, since it got interior updates and they resolved the battery drainage issue.

It's a more peaky engine that loves to rev to redline, so it won't have the loads of torque down low that a M550i has, but it seems much more exciting. It seems their brakes are touchy at low speeds but cannot tell if that is only the case with CCBs. Ultimately, an M550i would make for a more relaxed commuter I'm sure. But the QV seems like a more interesting car to own and drive. It would likely be cheaper too.

I'm not necessarily planning on owning a QV or M550i for a long time unless I fall in love and the car ends up being the last a given type of car and replacements all suck. In all likelihood it would be updated with an EV a few years down the road.

Last edited by FC; 07-12-2023 at 01:04 PM.
Old 07-12-2023, 03:12 PM   #69
robg
Carmudgeon

Commuter car down the road

Quote:
Crazy thought: What about a CPO Giulia QV?

I really wanted one of those when I bought the M3 but didn't go that route because:

- It was too new and AR had just come back to the US
- No stick
- Pricey compared to a ED-discounted M3
- No ED
- I had always wanted an M3

Addressing those points:

- The Giulia QV seems to be surprisingly reliable (seems not worse than BMW)
- No stick is no longer a problem, since all options I'm considering are automatic
- Not considering one new, but the M3 has climbed much more in price by comparison anyway
- I already did ED on an M3

As a plus, the ride seems to be MUCH better than on the M3 (especially ZCP), it seems to have great steering, and be a lot more fun to drive and certainly more unique and special than anything else I am considering (M550i, M430i, 540i).

The drawbacks are that it is not as roomy or nice inside as a 5er or even 3er. It also has fairly crummy fuel economy, same as the V8 M550i.

I'd be looking at a >MY2020, since it got interior updates and they resolved the battery drainage issue.

It's a more peaky engine that loves to rev to redline, so it won't have the loads of torque down low that a M550i has, but it seems much more exciting. It seems their brakes are touchy at low speeds but cannot tell if that is only the case with CCBs. Ultimately, an M550i would make for a more relaxed commuter I'm sure. But the QV seems like a more interesting car to own and drive. It would likely be cheaper too.

I'm not necessarily planning on owning a QV or M550i for a long time unless I fall in love and the car ends up being the last a given type of car and replacements all suck. In all likelihood it would be updated with an EV a few years down the road.

Was it clarkson who said “every car enthusiast needs to own an Alfa at some point”? I think if you go into it with the right attitude, it could be a unique and fun experience

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
robg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2023, 03:22 PM   #70
FC
Solving problems

Quote:
Originally Posted by robg View Post
Was it clarkson who said “every car enthusiast needs to own an Alfa at some point”? I think if you go into it with the right attitude, it could be a unique and fun experience

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Right. "Every motor head."

I'll keep an eye out for one to test drive. Same for M550i's (2021+). Not any near me right now.