carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Car Talk > Perseverators Anonymous

Old 05-08-2023, 11:26 AM   #11
Alan
Carmudgeon

I got my car back last week from the PPF and it really is amazing. I cannot tell the difference where there is PPF and where there isn’t.

I don’t see any seams, it is amazing to me that even around the A pillars and front part of the roof I don’t see a seam …. The place I went to was extremely meticulous… well worth the extra dollars they charge.

I should have done this to my past cars ….
Alan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2023, 11:45 AM   #12
SCA
Jaded

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post
I got my car back last week from the PPF and it really is amazing. I cannot tell the difference where there is PPF and where there isn’t.

I don’t see any seams, it is amazing to me that even around the A pillars and front part of the roof I don’t see a seam …. The place I went to was extremely meticulous… well worth the extra dollars they charge.

I should have done this to my past cars ….

Yep! And all this time you had some fairly negative concerns pertaining to PPF.
SCA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2023, 04:32 PM   #13
FC
Solving problems

Carmudgeonly Ride: M5 / 718 GTS / Cooper S / GTI / LR4
Glad you are happy!

...it also reminds me that I need to research the two places near me for when my Boxster gets home.
FC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2023, 06:51 PM   #14
wdc330i
dogged

Carmudgeonly Ride: '22 M440 xDrive GC
Great news, for sure!
wdc330i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2023, 09:42 PM   #15
John V
No more BMWs

Carmudgeonly Ride: Ram, MS3, CX-5, RX-8
It's a game changer for being able to really use the car and enjoy it without worry, IMO.
John V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2023, 03:38 PM   #16
FC
Solving problems

Carmudgeonly Ride: M5 / 718 GTS / Cooper S / GTI / LR4
In Boston, as best as I can tell, there are 3 recommended places. The best one is unfortunately a logistical PITA.

The next two seem to be comparably good.

One is near work and I used them for the F80. They did a pretty good job, but I was not thrilled about how they covered the rear wheel arch. Basically they got lazy and instead of custom covering the area s I requested, they added a precut semi-circular piece of film to the back of the rear door and a little strip to the front end of the rear arch.

This other place is close to home. They quoted $2900 for a track pkg. These seem to be getting more popular and cover the whole front end plus rocker, leading rear arch, and lower rear bumper. See someone's attempt at describing it below:

They also said not to worry about washing or removing trac wrap. They would do it as part of their prep. Pretty happy so far.

Only "issue" is that they quoted a full day for the job. Same as the other place I used. They described the work the same as with the F80. Full edge wrap where the panel allows, but otherwise just very close gaps to headlamps, etc. Only crest comes off.

Anyway, I'm tempted to just go with these local guys.

Last edited by FC; 06-05-2023 at 04:15 PM.
FC is offline   Reply With Quote