carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Car Talk

Old 03-06-2023, 10:31 PM   #21
JST

Honestly? Yes, it’s worse than New Jersey, where I’ve spent lots of time stuck in traffic. It’s worse than DC. Both are bad, and unpleasant in their own unique ways, but LA is a whole different thing.
JST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2023, 12:18 AM   #22
lemming
Western Anomaly

Carmudgeonly Ride: White Orca
Quote:
Originally Posted by dan View Post
3.6 for the xdrive m240i. Silly.
Technology is amazing. Yes.

lemming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2023, 12:19 AM   #23
lemming
Western Anomaly

Carmudgeonly Ride: White Orca
Quote:
Originally Posted by JST View Post
Honestly? Yes, it’s worse than New Jersey, where I’ve spent lots of time stuck in traffic. It’s worse than DC. Both are bad, and unpleasant in their own unique ways, but LA is a whole different thing.
Dude.

I am scarred from heading from PHL out to Dulles for a conference at rush hour. It took like 2 hours longer than necessary. No accidents. Just traffic.

lemming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2023, 01:58 PM   #24
robg
Carmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemming View Post
In the theme of this thread and more disclosure, I had been looking into a 1980s SC or G body 911 recently. But it’s just a lot to keep up with a car like that —although they are less cranky if driven a lot.

To your point.

I was also looking at 996s since they seem to be achievable now. But the post-purchase maintenance is an upsetting amount of money.

I’m keeping the mileage down on the cars as the quid pro quo with the dealer. Basically, keep them as valued trade-in’s that can command easy re-sale so that they can help me get allocation. It would not be super popular for me to show up in the T with 35,000 miles even though at this point it’s 6 years old.
This is the slippery slope that I start down everytime I start thinking about 911s. I start out w/ the idea of an older one (like you said- maybe an 80s sC). But, yeah, based on my experience driving those cars I know that I wouldn't use it very often and the upkeep is a lot. Then I get into water cooled stuff and everyone says to avoid the 996 and 997.1. By the time you get to a 997.2 manual, you're at like 65k for a nice one. Unpopular view but I actually prefer the 991's exterior and interior. Also since it's a modern car and one I'd like to use as often as possible, I'd like modern conveniences like Carplay. Ok..now I'm at like 80k+ for a nice 991.2. At that point, I'd like a warranty. CPO ones are like 90k. Nice that they hold their value so well I guess...so maybe at that point I might as well just order a new one to get exactly what I want (except that I can't because that you can't currently spec a 911T w/ Bose).
robg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2023, 05:25 PM   #25
lip277
The old cranky SOB....

Carmudgeonly Ride: several cars... way too many....
Quote:
Originally Posted by robg View Post
everyone says to avoid the 996 and 997.1
Dunno about that - My 2006 997 has 147k trouble free miles on it now and I don't foresee letting go of it anytime soon.
I did so based on recommendations by the Porsche folks I know.... The IMS thing is always a thing to be aware of - but so is bore score, warped rotors, bad hair days and such.

Actually - I think the IMS bearing is similar to the nikasil issue the M60/M62 BMW V8's had. Past a certain point, if the issue was going to raise its head, it would have done so by now. My understanding of the IMS is that it seemed to affect cars that has fewer miles, were babied and treated with kit gloves.

That being said - I did not consider 996's as I did not like the headlights or interior (997.1 is better - 997.2 is even better than .1's)

My thoughts - YMMV as always

Either way - The market for all 911's have been nutty.

1970 2800CS - - 2001 740iL - - 2006 997.1 - - 2012 Escalade
1968 Mustang GT Convertible - - 2003 Ford F250 PSD - - 1985 728i
lip277 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2023, 08:54 AM   #26
equ
Alphanumeric

Carmudgeonly Ride: 981S, 340i
Quote:
Originally Posted by JST View Post
I'm not talking about the density of traffic and the frustration of being stuck in it. Those are very real but legitimate fear for life and limb is worse IMHO. I haven't driven in California in ten years, so maybe that has also degraded.
equ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2023, 01:48 PM   #27
John V
No more BMWs

Carmudgeonly Ride: Ram, MS3, CX-5, RX-8
DC is such a unique hell for driving. There's a good amount of people with a complete disregard for red lights. Speed cameras are everywhere, so having traffic flow along at a reasonable pace with periodic slowdowns and stoppages as people slam on the brakes is a normal thing. The roads are generally pretty poorly maintained so having something with low-profile tires is pretty discouraged. And then there's the beltway (so not actually DC, but MD and VA) where there's a decent amount of street racing in and out of traffic.

This whole discussion about 80's cars takes me back. My first car was an '87 RX-7 turbo. Supposedly a 6.7s car from 0-60, and mid-14's in the quarter. In reality it was a lot slower than that, because the low-compression rotary made very little power until the turbo came on, and with 80's turbo tech you'd get boost by around 4,000 RPM and the fun was over before the 7,000 RPM redline. The bad old days for sure.
John V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2023, 02:05 PM   #28
dan
redefined

Man I'm glad I never really drive in traffic
Old 03-08-2023, 02:25 PM   #29
Jeff_DML
Old Fart

Carmudgeonly Ride: T4R,GTI
don't forget the carjacking too?
Jeff_DML is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2023, 02:39 PM   #30
JST

I was thinking about JVs point when watching Cammisa’s review of the Lotus Carlton, which was an early 90s hero but had much the same kind of power delivery, judging by the video. Turbos really were very different back then.

Skip to the 16 min mark if you want to see the driving without the talking

https://youtu.be/FYfyPtA9sNI
JST is offline   Reply With Quote