carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Car Talk > Perseverators Anonymous

Old 03-15-2018, 02:08 PM   #61
wdc330i
dogged

Carmudgeonly Ride: '22 M440 xDrive GC
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3LOU5 View Post
Ok, NOW I get you.

You're right, it's a different kind of fun. Since I live in a wide open desert, I do a bit of mild 'wheeling. I also love taking my truck out when there's at least a foot of snow. It just plows through it unlike my little car, which struggles at only 4 inches with due-to-be-replaced Yokohama all-season tires.

BTW, if you DO get a stock truck, do NOT go to a store or website like this.

You'd be like a kid in a candy store, LOL.
Lord.

A deer grill thingy might be a good idea, though.
wdc330i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2018, 02:22 PM   #62
clyde
Chief title editor

For giggles, see if you can get a test drive in a Raptor. I know it doesn't tick any of the boxes you're looking to tick, but why not?

Team WTF?!
What are you gonna do?
clyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2018, 02:30 PM   #63
kognito
older fart than ZBB

I'll just leave this here http://www.businessinsider.com/toyot...es-2018-3?op=1

I didn't fit comfortably in the Canyon/Colorado, but I have more leg length than you to deal with.

I got my "nicely equipped" GMC 1500 for much less than a Colorado ZR2, but 4wd was not on my list of necessities.
Old 03-15-2018, 04:49 PM   #64
3LOU5
Slacker Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdc330i View Post
Lord.

A deer grill thingy might be a good idea, though.
Then add a lift kit, bigger/wider hybrid tires, aftermarket wheels, nerf bars, fender flares, brush guard, roll bars with a row of lights that can light up runway 28 at LaGuardia ....

2009 Harley-Davidson Sportster XL883 Low (Vivid Black) - his
2018 Can-Am Spyder RT Limited - hers
2007 Harley-Davidson Sportster XL883 Low (Pearl White) - hers (SOLD 02/29/20)
2011 Tao Tao 50 - whoevers bike is in the shop
2007 Reinell 186 FNS - the dog's
1995 Fleetwood Flair 27R - EVERYBODY'S !
3LOU5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2018, 05:51 PM   #65
equ
Alphanumeric

Carmudgeonly Ride: 981S, 340i
So, Matt, somehow, I'm not sure how, tapatalk is throwing your questions on Canyon/Colorada forums on my feed. Forums I've never been to. "It knows". I don't remember subscribing to you, but some connection must have happened.

My one comment (without reading through the lengthy awd, seat and suspension) comparisons would be to watch out for AWD (i.e. engaged transfer case) vs. On-demand-sorta-AWD (i.e. engages after detecting slip). Methinks you would not like the latter. I actually think it's a bigger deal than rear diff, e.g. I went through the Tacoma and 4-Runner configurations quite a bit. Based on what I read, I don't think 4wd + rear diff will be as good as awd + open diff on snowy roads at any kind of speed. And once that awd has a axle to axle locking option, the lower speed advantage is largely taken care of.
equ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2018, 07:35 PM   #66
rumatt
Mugwump

Carmudgeonly Ride: E46 330i, Chevy Colorado, Tesla Model 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by equ View Post
So, Matt, somehow, I'm not sure how, tapatalk is throwing your questions on Canyon/Colorada forums on my feed. Forums I've never been to. "It knows". I don't remember subscribing to you, but some connection must have happened.
That's bizarre. Tapa-stalk?

Quote:
My one comment (without reading through the lengthy awd, seat and suspension) comparisons would be to watch out for AWD (i.e. engaged transfer case) vs. On-demand-sorta-AWD (i.e. engages after detecting slip). Methinks you would not like the latter. I actually think it's a bigger deal than rear diff, e.g. I went through the Tacoma and 4-Runner configurations quite a bit. Based on what I read, I don't think 4wd + rear diff will be as good as awd + open diff on snowy roads at any kind of speed. And once that awd has a axle to axle locking option, the lower speed advantage is largely taken care of.
Colorado/Canyon's have 4-High (Locked transfer case) and 4-Auto (AWD-ish thingy). My understanding of 4-Auto is that the transfer case locks the front and rear, but the front axles have some kind of clutch so only 5% of the torque is going to the front until the rears slip. I also read (but didn't verify) that it's the same transfer case that's in the Jeep Grand Cherokee.

But yeah, I'm not sure how well it will work in slick conditions. In my test drives accelerating on dirt, etc, it was pretty decent. I fully expect the truck to be sketchy in winter, particularly since I'd get an extended cab which has the least weight over the wheels. But I know I won't get stuck... and driving sideways is fun right?

Last edited by rumatt; 03-27-2018 at 07:46 PM.
rumatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2018, 08:15 PM   #67
equ
Alphanumeric

Seriously... 'marnold6'... I was about to ignore... Then I noticed the obsessive, nerdy nature of the questions.

I don't think the JGC case is like that, it is 48/52 front/rear IIRC by default, but can push forward and backward if need be (sort of subaru-like as it's clutched rather than audi gear driven).

Some JGC lower trims stay as such, other allow the locking feature.
Old 03-27-2018, 09:40 PM   #68
rumatt
Mugwump

Oh yeah, I don't think the whole system is the same. Just that the transfer case itself (or maybe the metal case itself ) is shared, so Chevy folks like to brag about it.
Old 03-28-2018, 03:01 PM   #69
equ
Alphanumeric

Also, continuing on the tapa-stalk theme, based on my JGC experience, I highly, highly recommend sticking to your guns and getting hwy & snow tires. My tire shop tried hard to convince me that Michelin LTX's are all that I needed, showed me their plow vehicle... Regardless, Blizzaks (DM V2 or some such model) are awesome. And after fourteen winters with snow tires, i learned something new. Keeping to stock widths rather than narrowing seems to help.

Last edited by equ; 03-28-2018 at 04:27 PM.
Old 03-28-2018, 10:40 PM   #70
rumatt
Mugwump

Quote:
Originally Posted by equ View Post
Also, continuing on the tapa-stalk theme, based on my JGC experience, I highly, highly recommend sticking to your guns and getting hwy & snow tires.
Absolutely. No chance I'm not getting snows.

Quote:
And after fourteen winters with snow tires, i learned something new. Keeping to stock widths rather than narrowing seems to help.
Yes! This is my same conclusion after running 205's on the E91. Just not enough tire for the 99% of the time you're not driving in deep snow.