carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Car Talk

Old 11-11-2019, 08:03 PM   #21
equ
Alphanumeric

Carmudgeonly Ride: 981S, 340i
Somehow, I don't think the new NSX is going to replicate the old NSX's trajectory... But I've never had that sort of vision.
equ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2019, 06:23 AM   #22
John V
No more BMWs

Carmudgeonly Ride: Ram, MS3, CX-5, RX-8
Quote:
Originally Posted by equ View Post
Somehow, I don't think the new NSX is going to replicate the old NSX's trajectory... But I've never had that sort of vision.
Probably not, but also consider that the original NSX was insanely expensive in the 90's. Anybody who bought one new and is trying to sell it now is still losing money.
John V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2019, 09:33 AM   #23
rumatt
Mugwump

Carmudgeonly Ride: E46 330i, Chevy Colorado, Tesla Model 3
STBX's Porsche to tide you over until the bugs are worked out the the C8.

Done and done!
rumatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2019, 09:35 AM   #24
zach
swinging for the fences

Carmudgeonly Ride: 987, X7 M60i, e36 M3
It's been mentioned, but if I were you I'd take a close look at the new R8. Or maybe a Huracan?
zach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2019, 10:14 AM   #25
JST

Quote:
Originally Posted by John V View Post
Probably not, but also consider that the original NSX was insanely expensive in the 90's. Anybody who bought one new and is trying to sell it now is still losing money.
All cars are terrible investments; even cars like the OG NSX and the OG M3, which are now enjoying frothy bubble pricing, are money losers when you factor in inflation, storage costs, opportunity costs, and so on.

That said, I think the current NSX is somewhat underappreciated, and I can see it enjoying a bit of a boost in resale once production ends. I still wouldn't buy one, but it's an intriguing car.

I think you're much better served with a GT3 Touring, tbh, or if you must have a wankermatic, then a "normal" GT3.
JST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2019, 10:21 AM   #26
equ
Alphanumeric

Carmudgeonly Ride: 981S, 340i
Quote:
Originally Posted by JST View Post
All cars are terrible investments; even cars like the OG NSX and the OG M3, which are now enjoying frothy bubble pricing, are money losers when you factor in inflation, storage costs, opportunity costs, and so on.
From new, surely... And that's why JV is right to point out/correct that the old NSX was not a great investment from new either. But in the mid-00's, 993's and NSX's were quite cheap. From that time forward, they are pretty decent value-holders. If not investments, they are pretty much fun for free... If you chose correctly buying used and catch a particular time in history.
equ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2019, 10:30 AM   #27
JST

Quote:
Originally Posted by equ View Post
From new, surely... And that's why JV is right to point out/correct that the old NSX was not a great investment from new either. But in the mid-00's, 993's and NSX's were quite cheap. From that time forward, they are pretty decent value-holders. If not investments, they are pretty much fun for free... If you chose correctly buying used and catch a particular time in history.
Oh, right--yes, that is an important caveat. There are cars that you can catch at the bottom of their depreciation curve that are really great buys (and some even end up bubbling, which is nice if it happens to you). I still kick myself for not spending 15K on an E30 M3 15 or so years ago, but what are you going to do?

There are some interesting candidates in that bracket that AF could consider. I think the F360 is likely to continue to appreciate, but only if you buy a manual. 456s are very underappreciated (especially, again, with a manual), but we've seen over the years that even the unloved Ferraris are eventually discovered, so those would be kind of an interesting choice.

I don't think that's what he wants, though--it sounds like he wants something high-tech with some of the lastest stuff built in. Cars like that are a) going to be new and expensive and b) are going to depreciate like rocks, because what's "new" is always changing. That's particularly so in the hybrid supercar space.

An early Maclaren might be a good compromise; I think they've depreciated quite a bit, but they are still exotic and interesting and likely won't ever be worth nothing.

EDIT: What about a used Mercedes SLS? Or whatever that new thing is, the AMG GT?
JST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2019, 08:04 PM   #28
3LOU5
Slacker Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by JST View Post
Oh, right--yes, that is an important caveat. There are cars that you can catch at the bottom of their depreciation curve that are really great buys (and some even end up bubbling, which is nice if it happens to you). I still kick myself for not spending 15K on an E30 M3 15 or so years ago, but what are you going to do?

There are some interesting candidates in that bracket that AF could consider. I think the F360 is likely to continue to appreciate, but only if you buy a manual. 456s are very underappreciated (especially, again, with a manual), but we've seen over the years that even the unloved Ferraris are eventually discovered, so those would be kind of an interesting choice.

I don't think that's what he wants, though--it sounds like he wants something high-tech with some of the lastest stuff built in. Cars like that are a) going to be new and expensive and b) are going to depreciate like rocks, because what's "new" is always changing. That's particularly so in the hybrid supercar space.

An early Maclaren might be a good compromise; I think they've depreciated quite a bit, but they are still exotic and interesting and likely won't ever be worth nothing.

EDIT: What about a used Mercedes SLS? Or whatever that new thing is, the AMG GT?
I like the way JST thinks……
2009 Harley-Davidson Sportster XL883 Low (Vivid Black) - his
2018 Can-Am Spyder RT Limited - hers
2007 Harley-Davidson Sportster XL883 Low (Pearl White) - hers (SOLD 02/29/20)
2011 Tao Tao 50 - whoevers bike is in the shop
2007 Reinell 186 FNS - the dog's
1995 Fleetwood Flair 27R - EVERYBODY'S !
3LOU5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2019, 06:29 AM   #29
John V
No more BMWs

Carmudgeonly Ride: Ram, MS3, CX-5, RX-8
SLS or AMG GT seem like good fits given what AF has bought in the past and liked.
John V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2019, 10:24 AM   #30
robg
Carmudgeon

Thinking of getting another car ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by John V View Post
SLS or AMG GT seem like good fits given what AF has bought in the past and liked.

I drove an SLS once and loved it. Great sound, beautiful interior - would love to own one at some point. Might be my favorite modern mb
robg is offline   Reply With Quote