carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Car Talk > Perseverators Anonymous

Old 03-17-2020, 11:48 AM   #71
clyde
Chief title editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by kognito View Post
In the financial crisis back in 2008, new car sales tanked like we think will happen now. Back then, the used car market actually ticked upward.

What is going on today is not exactly the same as 2008, but results to the used car market might mirror what happened then.
Quote:
Originally Posted by FC View Post
It will probably mean that non-DD sportscars may also suffer. I got a great deal on my 987S in 2009.
I don't know if we have a good reference point to act as a model for the future, but yeah.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JST View Post
I'm going to guess that this season's autocrosses are all canceled, so you have some time, right?
National office led events through end of March are "suspended." If life starts moving back towards normal by mid-July, I can see the National Championships possibly happening on time. Or not. It would be an asterisk year, for sure, though.

2020 autocross season is not currently a driver because, yes, I have some time.

Team WTF?!
What are you gonna do?
clyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2020, 10:22 PM   #72
lemming
Western Anomaly

Carmudgeonly Ride: White Orca
Quote:
Originally Posted by clyde View Post
I don't know if we have a good reference point to act as a model for the future, but yeah.

National office led events through end of March are "suspended." If life starts moving back towards normal by mid-July, I can see the National Championships possibly happening on time. Or not. It would be an asterisk year, for sure, though.

2020 autocross season is not currently a driver because, yes, I have some time.

Sorry I don’t know this but are you looking at CPO cars also?

Those will also show up on the market because in a recession these cars are the first to go.

lemming is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2020, 10:54 PM   #73
clyde
Chief title editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemming View Post
Sorry I don’t know this but are you looking at CPO cars also?

Those will also show up on the market because in a recession these cars are the first to go.
I've been looking at used 2019s and 2020s (there was an ABS calibration change for 2019 that rules out the 2017s and 2018s). So far, pricing is way too close to new (and often more than new).

I had in-depth conversations with two sales managers at different dealerships (one Chevy, one not) and a similar abbreviated version with another Chevy deal who initially feigned insult at my "low ball" offers. I described how I came up with them and they each begrudgingly let me know (more or less) that I was pretty spot on and gave me variations of, "yeah, you're right, but truth is, some idiot is going to pay close to what we're asking and that's why we're asking it. Good luck!"

I drove another used one that had a realistic asking price. I talked numbers with the sales manager a bit just to see after telling him there was no way I was buying the car that night. We ended close enough to the price I would have wanted had it been the right car to know that I could have gotten there. But the car wasn't right (some minor stuff that would need undoing, poorly applied rear window tint that I'd want to remove which could have been a real PITA, and an unshakable feeling that there was a story behind it that wasn't good).

If I can find one used (certified or not) at a reasonable discount, I'll buy it.

Team WTF?!
What are you gonna do?
Old 03-17-2020, 11:25 PM   #74
lemming
Western Anomaly

Quote:
I've been looking at used 2019s and 2020s (there was an ABS calibration change for 2019 that rules out the 2017s and 2018s). So far, pricing is way too close to new (and often more than new).

I had in-depth conversations with two sales managers at different dealerships (one Chevy, one not) and a similar abbreviated version with another Chevy deal who initially feigned insult at my "low ball" offers. I described how I came up with them and they each begrudgingly let me know (more or less) that I was pretty spot on and gave me variations of, "yeah, you're right, but truth is, some idiot is going to pay close to what we're asking and that's why we're asking it. Good luck!"

I drove another used one that had a realistic asking price. I talked numbers with the sales manager a bit just to see after telling him there was no way I was buying the car that night. We ended close enough to the price I would have wanted had it been the right car to know that I could have gotten there. But the car wasn't right (some minor stuff that would need undoing, poorly applied rear window tint that I'd want to remove which could have been a real PITA, and an unshakable feeling that there was a story behind it that wasn't good).

If I can find one used (certified or not) at a reasonable discount, I'll buy it.
I’m not second guessing you at all. I got mine CPO with <2000mi and it was a steal, esp for a 2020.

But 1LE narrows the market down a lot.

Enjoy the hunt!

Old 03-17-2020, 11:56 PM   #75
clyde
Chief title editor

Quote:
I’m not second guessing you at all. I got mine CPO with <2000mi and it was a steal, esp for a 2020.
Occasionally, a used 1LE comes in to a non-Chevy dealer, they don't know what they have, and price it without accounting for it. It's a $7k MSRP option.

There was a 2019 with 2k miles in Chicago at a Benz dealer that I just missed. The website ask price they had dropped to before auctioning it about a week before I was ready to buy would have been a steal. Instead, a dealer near Rochester, NY bought it and listed it at $9k more than where the Chicago Benz dealer was when they gave up which is also about $2500 more than a new 2020 car would cost me OTD.

Quote:
But 1LE narrows the market down a lot.

Enjoy the hunt!
I'm also pretty fixed on getting a car with the Performance Data and Video Recorder option and that really limits the options.

I've detailed up the thread how much I was not enjoying this hunt, but thanks! Maybe it will be different when I get back to it.

Team WTF?!
What are you gonna do?
Old 03-18-2020, 05:05 PM   #76
clyde
Chief title editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by equ View Post
The carvana offer on your car will drop. It may not drop as much as new car $$$'s but it will.
After holding steady at $17,026 for three days, it dropped today. Bigly. $17,002.

Chevrolet extended 0% for 84 months to the Camaro today, but 0% means giving up a $1250 rebate. Since I was going to finance for three years at something probably close to 3%, it poses an interesting question to be figured out later.

Also belatedly realized that not doing events saves me a bit of a chunk of change that I can funnel back towards the car.

Team WTF?!
What are you gonna do?
Old 03-18-2020, 09:09 PM   #77
lemming
Western Anomaly

Quote:
Occasionally, a used 1LE comes in to a non-Chevy dealer, they don't know what they have, and price it without accounting for it. It's a $7k MSRP option.

There was a 2019 with 2k miles in Chicago at a Benz dealer that I just missed. The website ask price they had dropped to before auctioning it about a week before I was ready to buy would have been a steal. Instead, a dealer near Rochester, NY bought it and listed it at $9k more than where the Chicago Benz dealer was when they gave up which is also about $2500 more than a new 2020 car would cost me OTD.

I'm also pretty fixed on getting a car with the Performance Data and Video Recorder option and that really limits the options.

I've detailed up the thread how much I was not enjoying this hunt, but thanks! Maybe it will be different when I get back to it.

If you’ve driven the Mustang equivalent of the SS 1LE I would be glad to read your impressions about how the two cars compare.

I really like the GT sound as the SS is much less dramatic for exhaust ear candy.

I have no sense for how these two cars compare chassis to chassis but my guess is if you thought the Mustang GT was superior for autocross you would be seeking that out instead.

Old 03-19-2020, 12:04 AM   #78
clyde
Chief title editor

Quote:
If you’ve driven the Mustang equivalent of the SS 1LE I would be glad to read your impressions about how the two cars compare.

I really like the GT sound as the SS is much less dramatic for exhaust ear candy.

I have no sense for how these two cars compare chassis to chassis but my guess is if you thought the Mustang GT was superior for autocross you would be seeking that out instead.
I have not driven the current Mustang GT with Performance Pack Level or whatever it is that would make it most equivalent. Autocross classing makes for weird things. The SS 1LE competes in class with both that GT and the GT350. Gearing and such.

Almost everyone I know that has a bit of time in both the Camaro ad Mustang (whether GT or GT350) think the Camaro is the better chassis platform. the one guy that thinks the GT350 is better is someone who has a long history of knowing what he's talking about. For the most part, everyone thinks the Mustang is a more livable car, though.

One of my all time favorite sounding American V8s is the Ford 302 that was in the Fox body. The Camaro is nice, but it's not that. No complains about what's in the Mustang, but again, it's not that 302. Does your car have the NPP exhaust? It makes a difference. not sure how much is from the valves and how much is ECU programing, but the NPP can certainly sound a louder, more aggressive note.

Team WTF?!
What are you gonna do?
Old 03-19-2020, 07:50 AM   #79
wdc330i
dogged

Carmudgeonly Ride: '22 M440 xDrive GC
I wonder how the Ford plant shutdown will affect prices?
wdc330i is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2020, 10:51 AM   #80
lemming
Western Anomaly

Quote:
I have not driven the current Mustang GT with Performance Pack Level or whatever it is that would make it most equivalent. Autocross classing makes for weird things. The SS 1LE competes in class with both that GT and the GT350. Gearing and such.

Almost everyone I know that has a bit of time in both the Camaro ad Mustang (whether GT or GT350) think the Camaro is the better chassis platform. the one guy that thinks the GT350 is better is someone who has a long history of knowing what he's talking about. For the most part, everyone thinks the Mustang is a more livable car, though.

One of my all time favorite sounding American V8s is the Ford 302 that was in the Fox body. The Camaro is nice, but it's not that. No complains about what's in the Mustang, but again, it's not that 302. Does your car have the NPP exhaust? It makes a difference. not sure how much is from the valves and how much is ECU programing, but the NPP can certainly sound a louder, more aggressive note.
No NPP. That is regretful. I grabbed the car because it was hard enough to find a manual V8 convertible.

I agree that car sounds nasty and maybe that’s color in my thinking about my own car. Oh well.