carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Car Talk > Perseverators Anonymous

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-23-2021, 07:43 PM   #11
robg
Carmudgeon

Actually considering an I-Pace

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZBB View Post
I think the I-Pace is gorgeous -- both outside and in. But range is its biggest issue -- 222 miles is the EPA rating.

That will be OK if you are using it for commuting and around town things. But if you are planning any road trips, just make sure there are CCS chargers at least every ~140 miles on the routes you are planning on driving. Plugshare.com is a great resource for planning.

My first Tesla had the small battery, and only had 208 miles of range when new. By the time I sold it, range was about 190. We did plenty of road trips in it, but I think the longest distance driven between charges was about 170 miles (back when the battery had about 200 miles of range) -- and that included a stretch where we drove 5 under the limit for about 50 miles just to make sure we could make the next Supercharger...

The nice thing about EV's that have ~300 mile range these days is that you no longer worry about that. You can drive 5-10 over the limit and not worry. The biggest gaps we've driven in either the Y or 3 have been under 200 miles, and we can easily skip a Supercharger and hit the next one. It really is the range that makes EV road trips super easy.

I find the epa ranges almost useless given how Tesla tends be more aggressive in how they report their numbers vs others. Plus the only time range really matters is on road trips/ highway speeds. The epa number is a combined figure. In Bjørn Nylands 120km/h test he got 211 miles in a model Y LR and 189 in an ipace. The AWD Mach E got less although that test was in winter. My point is that the real world range of all these cars seem close enough to where it’s not a big deciding factor for me. Probably going to add an hour extra of time per year spent fast charging the car between the best and worst cases given the way I’d use it. I’d much rather have a car I enjoy driving and being in 90% of the time vs having a little extra range on road trips

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
robg is offline   Reply With Quote