carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Car Talk > Perseverators Anonymous

Old 10-22-2018, 05:55 PM   #861
GimpyMcFarlan
Confused

Carmudgeonly Ride: 2013 X3 Gray/Mojave
Quote:
Originally Posted by rumatt View Post

Damn, it looks great in grey. Congrats! Please post pics of the interior.
Old 10-22-2018, 07:13 PM   #862
Alan
Carmudgeon

Agreed ... the color is great !! Congratulations... let’s see some interior pics when you get a chance.
Alan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2018, 07:53 PM   #863
ff

Color looks nice. Congrats!

I sat in one at the mall last Saturday. Seats felt great. Perfectly supportive for me. And love the minimalist interior. This is a car that I could see myself in at some point.
ff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2018, 09:27 PM   #864
rumatt
Mugwump

Carmudgeonly Ride: E46 330i, Chevy Colorado, Tesla Model 3
Arg, sorry ZBB. I can't believe you are stuck in a Fusion for so long. Add this to the list of reasons the number of cars in the household should always be N+1?
rumatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2018, 09:46 PM   #865
rumatt
Mugwump

First impressions of the car after driving it only about 30 miles.

Overall: I like it a lot. Something about the throttle responsiveness and silent whoooosh of acceleration is really rewarding.

Seats: Still not in love. I think I'll get used to them, but the're not ideal for me. Instead of a flat bottom for your ass to rest on, with side bolsters to prevent lateral motion - it feels more like a doughnut that you're sitting on. It puts pressure on the sides of my ass while driving straight, then doesn't add all that much lateral support when cornering. Definitely not in the "bad" camp, but not ideal either

Steering: it's not bad. I've left it in standard and it's fine. No issues. And the turn-in with the 20's is immediate. No slop.

Handling: I haven't pushed it, but I like it so far. It does not feel like a small car, but it's sporty and fun... while somehow being relaxing at the same time. You don't need to work to go fast, but when you're feeling frisky it responds. It's the combination of these two that this car excels at, and no other car can match.

Comfort: I'm still questioning why I purchased the performance upgrade package. You basically don't use the brakes on these cars, and the 20" wheels are kinda ridiculous. but I maintain they are shockingly comfortable for what little rubber you have available. And the turn-in is really nice. I think 19's is a better choice though unless you only drive on smooth roads. 20 seems unnecessarily aggressive.

Performance: I have not floored the throttle yet. I'm giving it maybe 200 miles for the drive train (what little there is of it) to break in just in case. But so far my first thought was, "Damn this car doesn't need power to be fun." People complain about turbo lag... well this car makes all ICE cars feel like they have crazy lag. There's something awesome about being able to tap the pedal at any time and shoot forward. Downshifting is dead to me. It's like flying a space ship in a video game or something. It's addictive.

Regen braking: awesome

Stereo: Much better than I expected.

Screen: I like the simplicity. I don't know what people are all upset about. So you like 5 degrees to the right to see your speed. No biggie.

Waze: Lack of police reports still pisses me off. I don't know whether I'm going to go through the effort of starting both waze and the tesla routing, or what.

Last edited by rumatt; 10-22-2018 at 10:05 PM.
Old 10-22-2018, 09:52 PM   #866
rumatt
Mugwump

AF, this is all I have so far for interior pics. Shitty, I know.
Old 10-22-2018, 09:54 PM   #867
equ
Alphanumeric

Carmudgeonly Ride: 981S, 340i
Very cool, congrats! Good stuff, a huge leap forward from the e46, not sure what reason that car has left in your garage other than legacy.

I somehow thought it would be more blue. Looks more of a gray-blue or is there a color balance issue in the pics or my screen?
equ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2018, 09:58 PM   #868
rumatt
Mugwump

Quote:
Originally Posted by equ View Post
Very cool, congrats!
Thanks!
Quote:
other than legacy.
Do we need more reasons?
Quote:
I somehow thought it would be more blue. Looks more of a gray-blue or is there a color balance issue in the pics or my screen?
It's gray! Well, technically Midnight Silver Metallic. No blue.
Old 10-22-2018, 10:01 PM   #869
clyde
Chief title editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by rumatt View Post
AF, this is all I have so far for interior pics. Shitty, I know.
Seems like a lot of glare on the screen. Is it an issue?

Team WTF?!
What are you gonna do?
clyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2018, 10:06 PM   #870
rumatt
Mugwump

Quote:
Originally Posted by clyde View Post
Seems like a lot of glare on the screen. Is it an issue?
No*

* I've only driven it 30 miles... but so far, no.