carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Car Talk > Perseverators Anonymous

Old 04-09-2019, 09:59 PM   #1191
ZBB
Relic

Carmudgeonly Ride: A very fast golf cart
Quote:
Originally Posted by rumatt View Post
If you had, he could have posted nearly the same picture.

But with less acrylic...
Old 04-11-2019, 12:53 PM   #1192
Plaz
•••••••

Carmudgeonly Ride: '11 1M
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZBB View Post
Ooh boy, at least I didn’t call it a dong sound!
Quote:
If you had, he could have posted nearly the same picture.
Old 04-21-2019, 12:44 PM   #1193
kognito
older fart than ZBB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plaz View Post

What? Oh. Never mind. Carry on.

That's not a bong,

This is a bong

To avoid any legal complications, this may or may not be me.

(but the Jukes T shirt might be a dead giveaway)
Old 04-21-2019, 01:13 PM   #1194
Plaz
•••••••

Carmudgeonly Ride: '11 1M
Old 04-22-2019, 06:48 AM   #1195
Theo
Crazy Old Man

Carmudgeonly Ride: M2C Stick
Quote:
Originally Posted by kognito View Post
That's not a bong,

This is a bong

To avoid any legal complications, this may or may not be me.

(but the Jukes T shirt might be a dead giveaway)
Wow!! Digging the old school Puma’s.
Old 05-06-2019, 01:51 PM   #1196
robg
Carmudgeon

Finally test drove a Model 3 (LR AWD) and new S (100D). Was in the mood to test drive something and tried to schedule an Alfa Quadrifoglio (Stelvio or Giulia). After much back and forth, the sales guy tells me they don't offer test drives of those. People just "know they want one and pay in cash". lol. Anyway, one good thing about Tesla is that they make it pretty easy to schedule a test drive, show up, do it and leave without all the BS.

Test drove the Model 3 first. It's a very fun car to drive and I can see why you guys like yours so much. You just want to fling it around. Overall, the build quality seemed pretty decent (and much better than the S). No rattles over bumps and felt very solid to drive. I even like the looks of the minimalist interior. The seats felt a bit squishy and I wonder how supportive they'd be on a trip (plus I hate fake leather of any kind). Like some of you have said, it feels roomier than the S and the ergonomics are better. The lack of a cluster or hard controls didn't really annoy me as much as I thought it would.

The sales guy was actually pretty cool. We talked about cars in general, and the subject of the E63 wagon came up. He was like "yeah i'd definitely get one of those over a Model S". I brought up some of annoyances w/ the UI and he shrugged and was like "Yeah, it's not the best". Maybe he was using reverse psychology on me, but it kind of worked. If I ever bought a Tesla, I'd want to buy from him. I was prepared for defensive fanboyism and the lack of it was refreshing. Or maybe he was just over working there - possible given the low pay, high pressure and threats to close stores by the CEO.

Anyway, he then offered me a test drive of the Model S. Depsite the flaws, I guess I still prefer the Model S. It just looks so much sexier, plus the seats feel more "german" and supportive. The materials and design are still quite nice. Also liked having a cluster even if it doesn't do much at this point. The panel gaps and misaligned chrome door trim are pretty egregious for that much money. The center console lid was stuck open and the rubber door seals looked sloppy (partially curled under the headliner). Somehow the backseat feels less comfortable than the 3 (less room under the front seats for your legs and the seatback feels more upright). For some reason, the steering felt like it had more "feel" than the 3 surprisingly.

Compared to a base RWD BMW 330 (or base A4 premium), I think a SR Model 3 is an interesting alternative. Above that and I think I'd just get a 6 cyl German car for a more drama free ownership experience plus you get a more fully-baked car feature-wise.

Similar deal for the S. It's fast and good looking but I couldn't see spending 70k+ on one. As a used car for under 40 it starts to make more sense. To me, it's kind of like an EV version of a Dodge Charger. Large, heavy, fast and good looking (with a bunch of legacy MB parts as well) but with mediocre quality and dodgy customer service. For a while, I was considering a 392 Charger so I guess I have a "type".

Even so, I dont trust or respect Tesla management and wouldn't want to support them w/ my money. Plus their used car program has become so scammy that it's pretty easy to not want to do business w/ them. Maybe if I come across the right private party sale with an extended warranty I'd consider an S. Better yet, if Carmax ever offers them nationally along with one of their warranties that would be interesting. I'd probably look for an early facelift car w/ AP1 (I trust Mobileye more than I do Tesla) and leather seats.

Last edited by robg; 05-06-2019 at 02:07 PM.
robg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2019, 08:39 PM   #1197
rumatt
Mugwump

Carmudgeonly Ride: E46 330i, Chevy Colorado, Tesla Model 3
Interesting. I've never driven an S. How was the driving experience compared to the 3?

(I guess I could have asked JST or ZBB this previously given that they've both owned both. )

I was concerned about the seats when I first sat in them, but after owning the car for a while I never had any issues. I never think about them, which is a good thing.

Last edited by rumatt; 05-06-2019 at 08:56 PM.
rumatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2019, 08:48 PM   #1198
ZBB
Relic

Carmudgeonly Ride: A very fast golf cart
The S feels heavier and much larger than the 3. I enjoyed the S when I had it, but the final drive in it was after I got the 3, and it felt big and old...
Old 05-06-2019, 09:09 PM   #1199
JST

The seats in the new S cars are a lot more supportive than the 3, but I don’t mind the 3 seats for long term travel.

The 3 is immensely more fun to drive than the S. The S is a lot bigger; though mine was pretty stiff, it felt more ponderous. Plus after getting used to the 3 the S feels like driving a gun slit bunker around.
JST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2019, 09:17 PM   #1200
robg
Carmudgeon

Tesla Model ≡ Thread

Quote:
Interesting. I've never driven an S. How was the driving experience compared to the 3?

(I guess I could have asked JST or ZBB this previously given that they've both owned both. )

I was concerned about the seats when I first sat in them, but after owning the car for a while I never had any issues. I never think about them, which is a good thing.

Although I prefer the S, the model 3 is the better driving experience. Feels sharper, more direct, and of course smaller. The low cowl is really nice. If I had both in my driveway I’d probably end up taking the 3 more often.

Given that I was comparing a 100D to a M3, my guess is that there wasn’t quite the stark difference ZBB and JST felt coming from their 60 and 85. The acceleration on any new S is atleast in the low 4s. That helps mask the weight somewhat.

Would love to rent a 3 for a weekend - maybe next time I’m in LA. Maybe tesla will offer a Reachnow style service one day.
robg is offline   Reply With Quote