carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Car Talk > Perseverators Anonymous

Old 02-03-2008, 02:56 PM   #121
Plaz
•••••••

Carmudgeonly Ride: '11 1M
Quote:
Originally Posted by lemming View Post
i was responding more to the fact that you were apparently pissing all over Plaz's decision and as far as i can recall, no one really does that sort of thing --esp. to you. ergo, i was questioning your logic and the veracity of your blanket statement.
Don't worry about me. equ's entitled to disagree with my decision, and believe I'm out of my senses for making it. I won't hold his complete wrongness against him.
Old 02-03-2008, 03:17 PM   #122
ff

Quote:
Originally Posted by John V View Post
Does Honda still insist on hobbling the Civic Si with horrible tires?
Of course. It wouldn't be Honda if they didn't. Mine came with the all-seasons. And even in a state where it's always summer, it still very difficult to find an example with the optional, slightly better Pilot Exaltos.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwg View Post
In particular, I like ff's comment about how MINI resale is going to tank (evidence please? everything I have read and experienced says the opposite)
The MINI's resale is very good. But that's not my point. My point is that the market for a used $30K econo-hatch MINI, I'll bet, is going to be almost non-existent. Which would result in taking a healthy loss on resale.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwg View Post
and equ's comment about the MINI not being any more fun to drive then the Civic Si - umm - ok, if you say so.
To quote you, "Evidence please?" I realize that the Si isn't German (golly gosh dang bummer...), but it's possible that it might be just as much fun to drive as the MINI. Maybe even more so. The fact that I've already kept and enjoyed my Si for 12 times longer than I kept [and loathed] the MINI, speaks volumes about which I think is a more fun car to drive and own.

Quote:
Originally Posted by equ View Post
But if everyone in this board is going for an MCS without even considering an Si for daily driving, it is the success of marketing (colors, options, "motoring", etc. etc.).
Exactly.

Last edited by ff; 02-03-2008 at 03:31 PM.
ff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2008, 03:46 PM   #123
Plaz
•••••••

Carmudgeonly Ride: '11 1M
Quote:
Originally Posted by ff View Post
The MINI's resale is very good. But that's not my point. My point is that the market for a used $30K econo-hatch MINI, I'll bet, is going to be almost non-existent. Which would result in taking a healthy loss on resale.
Hunh? The resale's good, but the resale isn't good? You're contradicting yourself here. If there's no market for something, then the price comes down. You can't separate the two.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ff View Post
The fact that I've already kept and enjoyed my Si for 12 times longer than I kept [and loathed] the MINI, speaks volumes about which I think is a more fun car to drive and own.
The new MINIs are totally different cars. Completely. Both figuratively and literally. I wouldn't have considered the old ones.
Old 02-03-2008, 03:52 PM   #124
John V
No more BMWs

Carmudgeonly Ride: Ram, MS3, CX-5, RX-8
For giggles, I optioned a MINI how I would get it if I were buying one. It came to $23,600. Cold weather package, LSD and sport suspension. Done. I don't dig the interior, but to me that's a decent amount of fun little car for $24k. ...

... until I built up a Mazdaspeed 3. For $23k (no options needed - it comes with the good stuff standard) it's a better value proposition to me than a MINI.
John V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2008, 04:04 PM   #125
FC
Solving problems

Carmudgeonly Ride: M5 / 718 GTS / Cooper S / GTI / LR4
Quote:
For giggles, I optioned a MINI how I would get it if I were buying one. It came to $23,600. Cold weather package, LSD and sport suspension. Done. I don't dig the interior, but to me that's a decent amount of fun little car for $24k. ...

... until I built up a Mazdaspeed 3. For $23k (no options needed - it comes with the good stuff standard) it's a better value proposition to me than a MINI.
I think everyone here knows this, but since this topic spawned off my waffling thread, it's worth reiterating. I can't see me ever buying an MCS for myself. Well, maybe if I had to drive into the city everyday since the dimensions and tiny overhangs seem to make it breeze to park.

Nope, this car is to make my wife happy. That it handles well enough to make it tolerable and possibly even fun to drive, well, that just makes the purchase feasible at all. My wife wanting a Mini is not too different from me wanting a boat (I don't - this is just an example). I'd never (or almost never) use it. My wife never drives unless she has to, and she has never said, "great, I can take the BWM today." She couldn't care less. She wants the Mini for one reason only: Because it looks cool and she thinks she would be so cool driving her Mini.

So, much like a boat, you either find a way to use it to make it worthwhile, or you have to be very rich to own a boat and not mind it only being used a handful of times a year.
FC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2008, 04:20 PM   #126
John V
No more BMWs

Carmudgeonly Ride: Ram, MS3, CX-5, RX-8
My girlfriend wanted a Mini until she saw the Mazdaspeed 3.

She agrees that the Mini doesn't make a whole lot of sense now.
John V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2008, 04:24 PM   #127
lemming
Western Anomaly

Carmudgeonly Ride: White Orca
Quote:

i'd agree to a certain extent.

lemming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2008, 04:24 PM   #128
FC
Solving problems

Carmudgeonly Ride: M5 / 718 GTS / Cooper S / GTI / LR4
Quote:

We cross-shopped the vanilla Mazda 3 when we looekd at Imprezas. She thought the Mazda looked stupid and had no AWD, so it was out. We wound up with the much better looking (than a base impreza) Saabaru Linear. Knowing my wife, she couldn't care less that the Mazdaspeed 3 is fast. It would still look stupid to her.
FC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2008, 04:45 PM   #129
lemming
Western Anomaly

Carmudgeonly Ride: White Orca
Quote:
Originally Posted by FC View Post
We cross-shopped the vanilla Mazda 3 when we looekd at Imprezas. She thought the Mazda looked stupid and had no AWD, so it was out. We wound up with the much better looking (than a base impreza) Saabaru Linear. Knowing my wife, she couldn't care less that the Mazdaspeed 3 is fast. It would still look stupid to her.
i really liked the Mspeed3 when i drove it.

but i agree, for most intents and purposes, it's a guy-mobile.

that said, the ones sitting on the lot cost more to drive off the lot than 22k.

seems like the number was 27k on the sticker.

lemming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2008, 04:55 PM   #130
JST

Quote:

I couldn't find one to test drive, and the Mazda dealer never called me back, so I can't speak to this. On paper, certainly, the Mazdaspeed 3 is impressive, but that's all I have to go on at this point.

I understand what ff is saying. Resale on Minis is strong, but with any car the resale value of options is typically a fraction of their cost (things like leather, sunroofs and automatics excepted). Ff, I think, is saying that a 32K Mini is going to take a big hit compared to a 24K Mini, and I think he is probably right.
JST is online now   Reply With Quote