carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Car Talk

Old 04-27-2008, 08:52 PM   #1
Sharp11
Vicarious Twitterer

Carmudgeonly Ride: 06 330 cic ZHP
Early impressions of the M35x

It's only been a few days, but we really like this car.

First, the cons:

Gizmos...... this car uses a push-button start with a key fob needed for your pocket or purse.

It is nice to walk up the the car, push a button on the door handle to unlock, then enter - never having to fumble with a key (nice when one's hands are full).

No prob....., but then to unlock all the doors you push that button twice and wait for two beeps. But sometimes the double beep is a bit late and you push again, which unlocks the doors you've just locked - so you do it over.......one of those things you get used, I guess.

What's most interesting is the lengths Nissan had to go through to "comfort key proof" the car in case the key fob dies - there's a slot in the dash for the "manual key" that one pulls from the key fob, and then there's this horribly complex system for dealing with valets that I can't address because I simply haven't taken the time to understand it

Needless to say, all this could've been prevented by using a simple "key" No? Yes?

On center steering can be a bit variable - perhaps the car is still too new, but I find myself making some corrections - could be the tires are oversensitive to road camber - I'll fool with inflation pressures and perhaps it needs an alignment.

The steering wheel rim's a bit on the thin side (could be the ZHP's is just a tad thick)

Other than that, wow!! What a car! The seats are perfect - 10 way adjustable, large cushions with - gasp - a ventilation system that blows hot or cold air up your butt (as if we don't get enough of that metaphorically on a daily basis), lumbar, memory - the whole nine yards. Also, it's rather tall for a sedan (just over 60 inches) so getting in and out is really easy.

The navigation system is one of the best in car systems I've seen, easy as pie to use and it even responds accurately to voice commands.

This car doesn't feel 4000lbs heavy - oddly, it feels quite light and it handles really well - dare I say, it's actually fun to drive. Yes it is.

The engine makes nice noises, some writers feel it's a bit too noisy for the class, but to me, it's nice and not out of place for a sports sedan.

Lots of aluminum - the hood, trunk lid, and doors are aluminum and very light. The suspension is double wishbone in front with both control arms made of aluminum, the rear is a five-link set-up, again, with lots of aluminum - this begs the question, why does it then weigh 4000lbs? Bmw's five series has less aluminum (I think), but weighs significantly less.

I've been able to coax 20.2 mpg out of it on two country road to in town jaunts - pretty good for this car (my wife gets 19 on the same loop - ahem).

More to come.

Ed
Sharp11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2008, 09:01 PM   #2
BahnBaum
Tilting Rocinante

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharp11 View Post
Needless to say, all this could've been prevented by using a simple "key" No? Yes?
Yes, probably. But then you wouldn't have the retro factor of the pushbutton start. My guess is we'll soon see the comeback of the crank start handle on the front of the car.

Anyway, sounds like you're enjoying it. Congrats!

Alex
Old 04-27-2008, 09:10 PM   #3
equ
Alphanumeric

Carmudgeonly Ride: 981S, 340i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharp11 View Post
On center steering can be a bit variable - perhaps the car is still too new, but I find myself making some corrections - could be the tires are oversensitive to road camber - I'll fool with inflation pressures and perhaps it needs an alignment.

The steering wheel rim's a bit on the thin side (could be the ZHP's is just a tad thick)
Great, but how about some pics?

This thick steering wheel fad of bmws... It doesn't really do or help anything, imho. Believe me, after 3 years and 3 bmws, it took me a little while to get used to the cayman steering wheel, but now thick ones irk me. It's like driving wearing thick gloves or sth.

Having never driven an infiniti x, I'm willing to bet the steering corrections are due to awd. In my first month with the 330xi, equ's gf suddenly turned and said, "you're really used to rwd, aren't you? you seem to be having trouble." just when I thought I kept making corrections...
equ is offline   Reply With Quote