carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Car Talk

Old 04-07-2019, 08:35 AM   #11
JST

Yeah, I was trying to come up with an equivalent and something like JUNGL FVR on a Land Rover might be it, but even that doesn’t get at the accent issue.
JST is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2019, 08:40 AM   #12
ZBB
Relic

Carmudgeonly Ride: A very fast golf cart
Quote:
Originally Posted by JST View Post
Yeah, I was trying to come up with an equivalent and something like JUNGL FVR on a Land Rover might be it, but even that doesn’t get at the accent issue.
To me, if it just had an L instead of an R, I could see it being OK (barely). The R is what takes it over the line -- just since the accent issue is what makes it clear that its being racist...
Old 04-08-2019, 05:27 AM   #13
John V
No more BMWs

Carmudgeonly Ride: Ram, MS3, CX-5, RX-8
What if the owner is of Asian descent?
John V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2019, 11:04 AM   #14
JST

Quote:
Originally Posted by John V View Post
What if the owner is of Asian descent?
I mean, how would the DMV know? And we're cool with a rule that says offensive speech on license plates is OK depending on the race of the car's owner?
Old 04-08-2019, 12:18 PM   #15
ff

Quote:
I mean, how would the DMV know? And we're cool with a rule that says offensive speech on license plates is OK depending on the race of the car's owner?
I think that the gov't should steer clear of controlling what people can or can't say. If this is such a big problem, maybe the best option would be to eliminate vanity plates, and instead everyone just gets a random set of alphanumerics.
ff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2019, 12:45 PM   #16
John V
No more BMWs

Quote:
I was just wondering if you'd still find it offensive if the owner was poking fun at him/her self.

If it were on a yellow 5-series, would you still find it offensive? "Euro Fever?" "Euro 5er?"

I do find it a little bit amusing that the only people I've ever known to use the pejorative "yellow fever" were people of Asian descent.
Old 04-08-2019, 02:30 PM   #17
JST

Quote:
Originally Posted by John V View Post
I was just wondering if you'd still find it offensive if the owner was poking fun at him/her self.

If it were on a yellow 5-series, would you still find it offensive? "Euro Fever?" "Euro 5er?"

I do find it a little bit amusing that the only people I've ever known to use the pejorative "yellow fever" were people of Asian descent.
I don't know. Different hypos are hard to parse. I just think the accent thing here is really over the line.

As far as license plates and governments, there's a fairly rich seam of First Amendment law on all of that. As with a lot of First Amendment law, the cases are sort of all over the map.

I tend to agree that the easiest/best thing to do is just get rid of vanity plates, because 99 percent of them are dumb, even if they aren't dumb and racist.

To replace the revenue lost, you should pay able to pay extra for a) a European sized plate, or b) no front plate.
Old 04-08-2019, 02:52 PM   #18
Plaz
•••••••

Carmudgeonly Ride: '11 1M
Yeah that's over the line. Especially when plates like "ATHEIST" get rejected by multiple states. Admittedly, I don't think that particular one happened in CA.

Agree, get rid of em. Stupid anyway.

I'd pay for a simple white-on-black old school Delaware style plate.

NJ still defaults to caucasian skin color plates with mismatched bad fonts. Though you can elect to enhance them with heinous 1996 Microsoft Clip Art-esque graphics for special causes. So annoying.

Last edited by Plaz; 04-08-2019 at 03:38 PM.
Plaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2019, 03:03 PM   #19
ff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plaz View Post
plates like "ATHEIST" get rejected by multiple states.
That's irritating, particularly when many (all?) states have a standard plate option that includes the text "In God We Trust". I wonder if they'd allow a vanity plate that says "RELIGIOUS"?
ff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2019, 03:31 PM   #20
John V
No more BMWs

a guy that several of us know used to have the plate "FKRZFST" (or similar) on his Z06. I recall that he got a notification in the mail telling him his plate was being revoked... after having the plate on the car for some time. and the car mostly lived on a trailer

To be clear, I totally get how someone could find "YERO FVR" to be offensive.