Oh, are they?

Carmudgeonly Ride: S4
Well done, Carmel, Indiana.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-13863498
Old 07-01-2011, 12:39 PM   #2
operknockity
Finn is in puppy heaven

Carmudgeonly Ride: '02 325i
There's been a roundabout in Long Beach forever, yet every time I go through it (not as often lately, but a few years back it was quite frequently) I see drivers that can't handle it. Perhaps if there were more of them in the US, driver's would be better at using them (but probably not, given the dismally bad state of driver education and responsibility here).
operknockity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 01:16 PM   #3
TD
Founder emeritus

D'oh.

My thoughts on roundabouts are mixed. For intersections with light traffic, they can work well once people figure them out. But the highly controlled downtown traffic circles are a mess, with multiple lights you have to get through to make it around.

Maybe with time we'll figure things out.
TD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 01:24 PM   #4
kognito
older fart than ZBB

One key to roundabouts is proper use of turnsignals.

Americans are too busy talking on phone, eating big mac's, texting, etc, to use their turnsignals.

JMHO
Old 07-01-2011, 01:32 PM   #5
operknockity
Finn is in puppy heaven

Carmudgeonly Ride: '02 325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by kognito View Post
One key to roundabouts is proper use of turnsignals.

Americans are too busy talking on phone, eating big mac's, texting, etc, to use their turnsignals.

JMHO
Well, that, and..... Don't move immediately to the center of the circle when you enter and then immediately move to the outside to take the next exit right after the one you entered from, especially when the circle is full of other cars.... And don't stop in the outer (e.g. turnout) lane waiting to move to the left because you don't want to take the exit..... And..... And.....
operknockity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 03:30 PM   #6
kognito
older fart than ZBB

Quote:
Originally Posted by operknockity View Post
Well, that, and..... Don't move immediately to the center of the circle when you enter and then immediately move to the outside to take the next exit right after the one you entered from, especially when the circle is full of other cars.... And don't stop in the outer (e.g. turnout) lane waiting to move to the left because you don't want to take the exit..... And..... And.....

Lots of double lane roundabouts here on the east side of Seattle, The double lane ones are well marked that if you are just turning right, stay right.

What I hate are "small" circles . . When towing the 42 foot 5th wheel, I hate curbing the last trailer tire

I think I posted this story before, but I did a roundabout somewhere in Belgium that had something like 7 highways connected to it, (this roundabout must have been about 1/4 mile in diameter ) between being a "lost" foreigner, and not know the language, we went around the roundabout about 4 times just to make sure we were exiting in the correct direction
Old 07-01-2011, 06:03 PM   #7
Terri Kennedy
There and back again

Carmudgeonly Ride: 2003 BMW 325xiT; looking for a new fun car
Quote:
Originally Posted by operknockity View Post
There's been a roundabout in Long Beach forever, yet every time I go through it (not as often lately, but a few years back it was quite frequently) I see drivers that can't handle it. Perhaps if there were more of them in the US, driver's would be better at using them (but probably not, given the dismally bad state of driver education and responsibility here).
The Feds disbursed a huge amount of highway funding in the late 70's and 80's specifically to remove traffic circles from highways.

If you look at Route 23 in northern NJ, you'll see many, many remnants of dismantled traffic circles. Start here (Google Maps) and work your way northward on 23. The one the map is centered on (23 / 202 / Ratzer Road / Black Oak Ridge Road / etc.) was the largest and deadliest, since it was on the side of a hill with very limited sight distance.

There was a double one (figure-8) in Riverdale, at 23 / Newark Pompton Turnpike / Windbeam Road / Macopin Ave being one part and West Parkway / Boulevard / 23 being the other part.
Terri Kennedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 09:16 AM   #8
John V
No more BMWs

Carmudgeonly Ride: Ram, MS3, CX-5, RX-8
Interesting Google maps satellite view oopsie here:

http://maps.google.com/maps?q=ratzer...gl=us&t=k&z=18
John V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 10:17 AM   #9
Plaz
•••••••

Carmudgeonly Ride: '11 1M
Quote:
Originally Posted by John V View Post

That's just how we roll in the Jerz.
Old 07-05-2011, 12:02 PM   #10
kognito
older fart than ZBB

Quote:
Originally Posted by John V View Post

yeah, but Google grabbed the one day that this intersection was dry. Normally that area is all flooded . . . when the roads are wet, they expand to fit!!