carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Car Talk > Perseverators Anonymous

Old 04-26-2016, 12:18 AM   #1421
ZBB
Relic

Carmudgeonly Ride: A very fast golf cart
So… I bought the extended warranty this morning. Car turned 50k miles on the way home from work…

JST -
If you get a P85+, what is the plan for the S85? Trade it or sell private party?

And… Do you still use the rear seats?
Old 04-26-2016, 10:31 AM   #1422
JST

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZBB View Post
So… I bought the extended warranty this morning. Car turned 50k miles on the way home from work…

JST -
If you get a P85+, what is the plan for the S85? Trade it or sell private party?

And… Do you still use the rear seats?
I suspect I would trade in. The preliminary number they gave me was attractive enough to make it hard to justify trying to sell privately.

And on the rear seats...not really. If I had one requirement that I would bend on, it's those. At some point I might cave and start looking at 85Ds w/o the rear seats, though those are still pretty $$$.
JST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 09:21 PM   #1423
ZBB
Relic

So… Tesla is now part of the Takata airbag recall (which doubled in size today).

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-au...-idUSKCN0XV1GU

Apparently Takata has until December 2019 to issue recall notices though -- apparently they will be phasing them based on age of the inflators...
Old 05-11-2016, 11:45 AM   #1424
JST

Finally tried autopilot in a service loaner. Quick take: it is weird and unpleasant, I don't like it, and I don't see the value proposition. Also get off my lawn.

Slightly more nuanced take:

It's bizarre when you do the double tap on the cruise stalk and feel the car suddenly come "alive."

Lane keeping works pretty well, though the car tends like ping pong gently back and forth within the lane. It was making me a little ill.

Around curves, the car's ability to follow the lane was deeply eerie, but it's also clear the car isn't looking ahead--there's no effort to find the apex, of course, and the car sort of slavishly follows the vehicle ahead (within the lane).

You also have to keep your hands near the wheel--ideally, the car would like you to keep your hands ON the wheel, and it will remind you of that from time to time.

Other areas where it's clear the car isn't looking ahead--in a traffic slowdown where the car ahead changes lanes, autopilot will accelerate back up to speed until it "sees" the slowdown, at which point it will slow down rapidly.

I don't see the value add. I really don't. You have to keep paying attention to take over if the car gets lost. You have to keep your hands and feet on or near the controls. As a result, it's not relaxing; if anything, I found it more tiring sitting "at the ready" but not actually controlling the car.

I suppose we need autopilot on the way to full autonomy, but as currently implement this is a dumb, dumb technology.
Old 05-11-2016, 12:03 PM   #1425
bren
lawn boy

Carmudgeonly Ride: e46m3, f25x3,C5 Z06, C4 Vette, 06 CTD Ram, and a trailer
You're doing it wrong. You are supposed to grab your phone and latte and ignore your surroundings completely.
bren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2016, 01:08 PM   #1426
rumatt
Mugwump

Carmudgeonly Ride: E46 330i, Chevy Colorado, Tesla Model 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by JST View Post
Also get off my lawn.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bren View Post
You are supposed to grab your phone and latte and ignore your surroundings completely.
Talk about feeling ill.
rumatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2016, 02:02 PM   #1427
equ
Alphanumeric

Carmudgeonly Ride: 981S, 340i
Quote:
Originally Posted by JST View Post
Finally tried autopilot in a service loaner. Quick take: it is weird and unpleasant, I don't like it, and I don't see the value proposition. Also get off my lawn.

Slightly more nuanced take:

It's bizarre when you do the double tap on the cruise stalk and feel the car suddenly come "alive."

Lane keeping works pretty well, though the car tends like ping pong gently back and forth within the lane. It was making me a little ill.

Around curves, the car's ability to follow the lane was deeply eerie, but it's also clear the car isn't looking ahead--there's no effort to find the apex, of course, and the car sort of slavishly follows the vehicle ahead (within the lane).

You also have to keep your hands near the wheel--ideally, the car would like you to keep your hands ON the wheel, and it will remind you of that from time to time.

Other areas where it's clear the car isn't looking ahead--in a traffic slowdown where the car ahead changes lanes, autopilot will accelerate back up to speed until it "sees" the slowdown, at which point it will slow down rapidly.

I don't see the value add. I really don't. You have to keep paying attention to take over if the car gets lost. You have to keep your hands and feet on or near the controls. As a result, it's not relaxing; if anything, I found it more tiring sitting "at the ready" but not actually controlling the car.

I suppose we need autopilot on the way to full autonomy, but as currently implement this is a dumb, dumb technology.
Thanks for the review and not surprising at the least. So it's like being passenger in a car with a dumb driver. Great. But hey, if liability is taken care of, why not on the latte or the cocktail?

I work with some top modelers & software devs. These hipster kids, smart as they are, think this is a solved problem, that in a few years, auto-driving will take over.
equ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2016, 03:10 PM   #1428
JST

Quote:
Originally Posted by equ View Post
Thanks for the review and not surprising at the least. So it's like being passenger in a car with a dumb driver. Great. But hey, if liability is taken care of, why not on the latte or the cocktail?

I work with some top modelers & software devs. These hipster kids, smart as they are, think this is a solved problem, that in a few years, auto-driving will take over.
Kind of like being in the car with a 16 year old.

I think fully autonomous driving (at least in good weather) is closer than we think, but I also think it will require A LOT more sensors than Tesla is using on their current cars.
Old 05-11-2016, 05:50 PM   #1429
ZBB
Relic

I posted my Autopilot review a couple months ago. No need to get off my lawn...

I agree that it is weird, but I very quickly adjusted to it and like it. I'm looking forward to having it on my next car...

Right now, its just an advanced cruise control. I drive with cruise control most of the time (even on city streets). The newer features (TACC/radar cruise control and AutoSteer) worked well for me. TACC alone would be great -- especially in heavy traffic. AutoSteer would be nice to have for road trips. Its nowhere near being full autonomous, but is another assistant to driving -- an you still need to be the "pilot in control".
Old 05-11-2016, 06:20 PM   #1430
JST

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZBB View Post
I posted my Autopilot review a couple months ago. No need to get off my lawn...

I agree that it is weird, but I very quickly adjusted to it and like it. I'm looking forward to having it on my next car...

Right now, its just an advanced cruise control. I drive with cruise control most of the time (even on city streets). The newer features (TACC/radar cruise control and AutoSteer) worked well for me. TACC alone would be great -- especially in heavy traffic. AutoSteer would be nice to have for road trips. Its nowhere near being full autonomous, but is another assistant to driving -- an you still need to be the "pilot in control".
I can't remember the last time I used cruise control prior to this. 1997? Maybe? I don't see the value add of that, either, obviously.

I honestly don't understand the appeal. It's actually more uncomfortable to hold your arms near the wheel than it is to just hold onto the wheel. Same with your feet and the pedals. Unless you are doing what you aren't supposed to (i.e., removing your hands and feet from the vicinity of the controls), how does it help you relax?

Of the suite of new driver aids, the one that I actually like and found helpful is the "brake hold" feature, which works basically like hill start assist but holds the brakes indefinitely until you touch the accelerator. That's pretty nice in city traffic.

I'd be a little more interested in autopilot if it worked at slow speeds, i.e. in stop and go traffic. Might be nice to not have to constantly shuffle back and forth between "gas" and brake. But this is a place Tesla says you shouldn't use it.