carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Car Talk > Perseverators Anonymous

Old 10-13-2009, 01:10 PM   #21
wdc330i
dogged

Carmudgeonly Ride: '22 M440 xDrive GC
I still say you should get the S4--the car you want and not the A4, which will not feel like much of a step up from the 3 series you just got rid of. The 3 series/A4 swap makes little sense and will cause you to make the swap you really wanted happen sooner rather than later.
wdc330i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 01:34 PM   #22
FC
Solving problems

Carmudgeonly Ride: M5 / 718 GTS / Cooper S / GTI / LR4
Quote:
Originally Posted by wdc330i View Post
I still say you should get the S4--the car you want and not the A4, which will not feel like much of a step up from the 3 series you just got rid of. The 3 series/A4 swap makes little sense and will cause you to make the swap you really wanted happen sooner rather than later.
I agree. If you were like me (hodls on to cars for a few years at least), I would maybe consider the A4. But given you serial swapping, I would be sure to be happy. Then again, even if you were like me, I'd probably recommend the S4, since over time the $$ delta will be less.
FC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 01:46 PM   #23
JST

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdc330i View Post
Agreed. This is a prediction you can take to the bank: If you get the A4, you will sell it within one year.
JST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 02:44 PM   #24
equ
Alphanumeric

Carmudgeonly Ride: 981S, 340i
I'm such a confused sort that at lunch break I started thinking about suzuki sx4's or basic subaru foresters: New, AWD, MT candidates that are either in the teens or in the 20's in price. From that point of view a 2.0T a4 is a luxo-spaceship-supercar.

I've enjoyed spartan cars before (as a student or when I rented them in 3rd world countries). In Costa Rica, I thoroughly enjoyed the new daihatsu terios (1.5lt, MT, awd, 100hp and dog slow). In South Africa, the vw polo was awesome.

Somehow, with the prospect of spending a few months or a year off work being a real possibility, spartan and fun feel like they can be in the same sentence again. Hey, even Dan Neil wants an sx4, why shouldn't I?

So the spectrum is between an sx4 that's in the mid-teens fully loaded (nav and all) and an s4 in the mid-50's. The a4 is the middle ground.
equ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 02:52 PM   #25
JST

Quote:
Originally Posted by equ View Post
I'm such a confused sort that at lunch break I started thinking about suzuki sx4's or basic subaru foresters: New, AWD, MT candidates that are either in the teens or in the 20's in price. From that point of view a 2.0T a4 is a luxo-spaceship-supercar.

I've enjoyed spartan cars before (as a student or when I rented them in 3rd world countries). In Costa Rica, I thoroughly enjoyed the new daihatsu terios (1.5lt, MT, awd, 100hp and dog slow). In South Africa, the vw polo was awesome.

Somehow, with the prospect of spending a few months or a year off work being a real possibility, spartan and fun feel like they can be in the same sentence again. Hey, even Dan Neil wants an sx4, why shouldn't I?

So the spectrum is between an sx4 that's in the mid-teens fully loaded (nav and all) and an s4 in the mid-50's. The a4 is the middle ground.
Why are you stuck looking at new things? Why not a used A4 2.0T? Those must be getting dirt cheap by now. Or a used WRX?

Also, can Foresters be had with a manual?

And I reiterate that if you get anything other than the S4, it will be for sale within 12 months. As a result, I recommend getting something that has already gone through its first sharp bought of depreciation.
JST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 02:53 PM   #26
Jeff_DML
Old Fart

Carmudgeonly Ride: T4R,GTI
Quote:
Originally Posted by JST View Post
Why are you stuck looking at new things? Why not a used A4 2.0T? Those must be getting dirt cheap by now. Or a used WRX?

And I reiterate that if you get anything other than the S4, it will be for sale within 12 months. As a result, I recommend getting something that has already gone through its first sharp bought of depreciation.

NA 2.5l foresters can
Jeff_DML is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 02:55 PM   #27
equ
Alphanumeric

The 330i was a very good car, but I don't miss it one little bit in the five weeks that it's been gone. Of course it helps that the croc is still in the garage, but still it's interesting that I never really bonded with it. I've missed each departed "second car" for its own reason:
- 528i: The nice lady who sold it to me, it was her retirement gift to herself, a burgundy on beige that I would never have spec'ced but was cool nonetheless. Great comfort and decent economy for the long haul to Maine.
- s4 avant: For obvious reasons of grunt, seat comfort and stealth. Also some good trips to montreal and north carolina.
- 330xi: It gave its body for us (and I would likely not have sold it but for the accident). Drove us home 350 miles on the day of being pummeled (while the rear-ender subaru outback was weeping fluids and basically dead).

There is something else that's bothering me about the expensive 3rd car purchase. Now that my gf has moved in, it is nice for her to be able to use my 2nd parking spot after the bmw was sold. When I buy a car, her honda gets back on the street... Understandable as it is at 126k and 7+ years, but still, makes me feel a bit selfish.
Old 10-13-2009, 02:57 PM   #28
equ
Alphanumeric

I actually looked hard at used a4 2.0T's... Not that dirt cheap if you get picky on condition/miles/options. Still nearly mid-20's for a 3yr old car that's a design older. Just doesn't make sense when the new one is out.

The used market in general is really tight right now with no good supply and high prices. The only exception to this is the 40-50k+ range where used carreras are still in the doldrums though even those are off their spring lows.

I probably should look at wrx's. Haven't had the time to, but yes that suggestion makes sense. The new forester 2.5NA can be had with MT (not the turbo one).

Quote:
Originally Posted by JST View Post

Old 10-13-2009, 03:05 PM   #29
FC
Solving problems

Carmudgeonly Ride: M5 / 718 GTS / Cooper S / GTI / LR4
If you look for a WRX, get the '06. I'd look for a Saab 9-2-X Aero - it could still be under warranty.
FC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 03:34 PM   #30
ZBB
Relic

Carmudgeonly Ride: A very fast golf cart
We had one of the new Forresters (NA 2.5) from Hertz for a week in August. We picked it up in Boise, then put ~1500 miles on it since we drove to Yellowstone then back to Boise.

It really wasn't bad at all -- OK power, but light enough to get out of its way. Handled decently, even though its a bit higher up than the older Forresters. Decent space in both rows of seats, with a really decent size cargo area.

If you have the croc for fun, you might as well get something practical for a 2nd car...