carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Car Talk > Perseverators Anonymous

Old 12-27-2014, 11:41 PM   #1011
JST

The rollout of the P85D has been a complete clusterfuck. Cars getting shipped with the wrong seats and an IOU, owners complaining of energy usage much higher than in the P85 (and thus shorter range). Musk even tweeted that a revised software package would be coming to fix the range issue...and now those tweets have been deleted.

Very strange.

Personally, I'd rather have a RWD P85.
JST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2014, 12:02 AM   #1012
ZBB
Relic

Carmudgeonly Ride: A very fast golf cart
I haven't been following the P85D rollout that closely, although I know 2 people that bought them (both their 2nd Model S, one is also a Roadster owner). But the mix ups are just bad...

While thee specs on the P85D are amazing, if I were to upgrade, I'd likely just get an 85D but would wait for the next gen seats. The seats are the only thing that annoy me - they are near impossible to find the comfortable sweet spot (although I found it again awhile back and haven't touched the seat controls in a few months...)
Old 12-28-2014, 07:33 AM   #1013
JST

I just don't understand the desire for AWD, except in the northern states. Especially since the front motor takes away a huge chunk of what makes the Model S so special: its utility. The frunk in the D is small enough that it makes it hard to use the jump seats--no space for luggage or anything else up there.

The P85 was so cool because it had no compromises at all for the performance over the regular car. The P85D is *all* compromise--less space, less range, and for what? The 1.3G hole shot thing is cool, but not worth the tradeoff, imho.

The 85D will allegedly have better range than the 85, but after the fiasco with the P85D I'd want to see the reality before I counted on that.
Old 12-28-2014, 08:42 AM   #1014
ZBB
Relic

I hadn't seen the frunk pics yet. I thought they only filled in the microwave box, but man, it's much smaller than I thought. Here's a pic:

And the RWD frunk:

But I rarely put things in the frunk, and don't have a need for the 3rd row of seats...
Old 12-28-2014, 11:05 AM   #1015
lemming
Western Anomaly

Carmudgeonly Ride: White Orca
Quote:
Originally Posted by JST View Post
I just don't understand the desire for AWD, except in the northern states. Especially since the front motor takes away a huge chunk of what makes the Model S so special: its utility. The frunk in the D is small enough that it makes it hard to use the jump seats--no space for luggage or anything else up there.

The P85 was so cool because it had no compromises at all for the performance over the regular car. The P85D is *all* compromise--less space, less range, and for what? The 1.3G hole shot thing is cool, but not worth the tradeoff, imho.

The 85D will allegedly have better range than the 85, but after the fiasco with the P85D I'd want to see the reality before I counted on that.

I'm keen about the 85D and P85D because of AWD but also to understand if two smaller motors are mechanically more robust than one big drive unit.

lemming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2014, 11:06 AM   #1016
lemming
Western Anomaly

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemming View Post
I'm keen about the 85D and P85D because of AWD but also to understand if two smaller motors are mechanically more robust than one big drive unit.

And I know we are poking a lot of fun at Porsche for the IMS bearing design, when you compare to the drive motor failures....really what's the higher percentage of failures? And how long will it take for the engineers to figure out the weak link causing the failures?

This has to be simple, right?

Old 12-28-2014, 04:22 PM   #1017
ZBB
Relic

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemming View Post
And I know we are poking a lot of fun at Porsche for the IMS bearing design, when you compare to the drive motor failures....really what's the higher percentage of failures? And how long will it take for the engineers to figure out the weak link causing the failures?

This has to be simple, right?
http://www.greencarreports.com/news/...-big-a-problem

50 cent part fixes the issue...

Mine was replaced prior to the shim being avail; I'm guessing JST's never had the shim installed.
Old 12-28-2014, 04:53 PM   #1018
lemming
Western Anomaly

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZBB View Post
http://www.greencarreports.com/news/...-big-a-problem

50 cent part fixes the issue...

Mine was replaced prior to the shim being avail; I'm guessing JST's never had the shim installed.

That makes sense. Not super engineering, but fixable. Now keep up with Kia?

Old 12-28-2014, 04:54 PM   #1019
JST

Maybe. But they haven't made any attempt to shim mine; they've ordered a drive unit, though the ETA on the part at this point is unknown.
Old 12-28-2014, 05:05 PM   #1020
lemming
Western Anomaly

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZBB View Post
I hadn't seen the frunk pics yet. I thought they only filled in the microwave box, but man, it's much smaller than I thought. Here's a pic:

And the RWD frunk:

But I rarely put things in the frunk, and don't have a need for the 3rd row of seats...

You honestly think most people driving a Tesla care about that added space? I don't.