carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Car Talk

Old 05-30-2019, 01:39 PM   #21
Theo
Crazy Old Man

Carmudgeonly Ride: M2C Stick
Quote:
Originally Posted by zach View Post
Agreed, but there are always boosted v8s.
Exactly!!!
Old 05-30-2019, 01:50 PM   #22
Josh (PA)
Hello.

Carmudgeonly Ride: '09 X3, '11 328xiT, '11 135i C, '17 c2, '19 X5
Quote:
Originally Posted by wdc330i View Post
I think he can't get over the steering. But that may be the only option out there in the near future.
I keep forgetting any of these exist with a manual. It would be an option if I could find one with the spec I'd want. I've read that the new M3 will go back to being a soft top 'vert and there will be a "pure" option that is rwd and a manual. I'm fine paying more for the option of a manual, I wish more car makers would adopt this direction. I also wish they'd see it as a sports oriented option i/o a cost reducer and just put it on the larger engine choice. I do not think the Z4 offers it at all, but I've read that it *might* be available only on the 2.0T, not no the B58. Thats just dumb.

We have a couple of automatics in the e46 and x5. I don't mind not having a stick in those cars, but I really want one in my fun car. I also really want my fun car to be a regular use vehicle. I struggle with the idea of an occasional use car. The X5 implementation IMHO is markedly worse than the E46. It takes forever to lock up when leaving from a stop, so it either revs and jerks or just crawls off the line until 5mph.

I've never got comfortable using paddles, they do nothing for me in bridging the gap between no shifting and manual shifting.
'11 135i Convertible
'11 328xiT
'09 X3

Last edited by Josh (PA); 05-30-2019 at 02:03 PM.
Josh (PA) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2019, 01:59 PM   #23
wdc330i
dogged

Carmudgeonly Ride: '22 M440 xDrive GC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh (PA) View Post
I keep forgetting any of these exist with a manual. It would be an option if I could find one with the spec I'd want. I've read that the new M3 will go back to being a soft top 'vert and there will be a "pure" option that is rwd and a manual. I'm fine paying more for the option of a manual, I wish more car makers would adopt this direction. I also wish they'd see it as a sports oriented option i/o a cost reducer and just put it on the larger engine choice. I do not think the Z4 offers it at all, but I've read that it *might* be available only on the 2.0T, not no the B58. Thats just dumb.

We have a couple of automatics in the e46 and x5. I don't mind not having a stick in those cars, but I really want one in my fun car. I also really want my fun car to be a regular use vehicle. I struggle with the idea of an occasional use car.

I've never got comfortable using paddles, they do nothing for me in bridging the gap between no shifting and manual shifting.
I doubt the new M3 vert will be as tossable as the 240, but who knows?
wdc330i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2019, 02:14 PM   #24
Alan
Carmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdc330i View Post
I doubt the new M3 vert will be as tossable as the 240
I’m siding with you on this one ... if it were i’d be surprised.
Alan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2019, 02:25 PM   #25
FC
Solving problems

Carmudgeonly Ride: M5 / 718 GTS / Cooper S / GTI / LR4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theo View Post
When I finally give up manual trans I will have to have a big V8 to make up for it.

C63 maybe. Who knows.
That was my thinking as well. Go E63 wagon or something.

But I am resigned to the inevitability that when the M3 goes, it would be silly to not get a high-performance electric sedan.
FC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2019, 02:41 PM   #26
Jeff_DML
Old Fart

Carmudgeonly Ride: T4R,GTI
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theo View Post
This seems like a pretty good deal as an example.

https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/d...4697/overview/

Edit:

This would be a blast. C63 supercharged.

https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/d...7525/overview/
Those new AMG 63s with the 4.0T TT sound bitching
Jeff_DML is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2019, 08:48 PM   #27
lemming
Western Anomaly

Carmudgeonly Ride: White Orca
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff_DML View Post
Those new AMG 63s with the 4.0T TT sound bitching

They do.

I really wish Porsche could tune the flat four to sound better. I couldn’t own one because I’d keep expecting to find myself in the STi when I fired up the 718.

Re: AMG v8 TT or the AMG GT, I love the way they found but I couldn’t give up a manual. I’m doomed to admire from afar.

lemming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2019, 01:56 PM   #28
robg
Carmudgeon

4 cylinder 718s sound terrible

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemming View Post
They do.

I really wish Porsche could tune the flat four to sound better. I couldn’t own one because I’d keep expecting to find myself in the STi when I fired up the 718.

Re: AMG v8 TT or the AMG GT, I love the way they found but I couldn’t give up a manual. I’m doomed to admire from afar.

Yeah it’s strange that a company as detail oriented as Porsche would’ve let that exhaust sound out the door.

The other odd thing about the 4 cyl 718s is that Porsche had to develop that engine just for that application ; it’s not like they are gaining any economies of scale - in fact they are losing some. And maybe the slightly better mileage achieved in epa/euro tests helps but does that really matter on such a low volume car? Overall it doesn’t make much sense. If they needed to create differentiation with the 911 they could’ve just used a non turbo version of the base 911s engine.
robg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2019, 08:45 PM   #29
equ
Alphanumeric

Carmudgeonly Ride: 981S, 340i
Quote:
Originally Posted by robg View Post
Yeah it’s strange that a company as detail oriented as Porsche would’ve let that exhaust sound out the door.

The other odd thing about the 4 cyl 718s is that Porsche had to develop that engine just for that application ; it’s not like they are gaining any economies of scale - in fact they are losing some. And maybe the slightly better mileage achieved in epa/euro tests helps but does that really matter on such a low volume car? Overall it doesn’t make much sense. If they needed to create differentiation with the 911 they could’ve just used a non turbo version of the base 911s engine.
It's not just mpg & CO2. Some countries tax on displacement. So even if a 2.0T and a 3.4 have similar output and not vastly different consumption, they'll go for the 2.0 which will result in higher sales in plenty of sales.
equ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2019, 08:51 PM   #30
robg
Carmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by equ View Post
It's not just mpg & CO2. Some countries tax on displacement. So even if a 2.0T and a 3.4 have similar output and not vastly different consumption, they'll go for the 2.0 which will result in higher sales in plenty of sales.

True - but then why now? As far back as the 80s bmw and others created special smaller displacement motors for countries like Italy.
robg is offline   Reply With Quote