carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Car Talk

Old 10-09-2018, 03:25 PM   #21
equ
Alphanumeric

Carmudgeonly Ride: 981S, 340i
Only the base Macan reminds me of the GTI (as they share an engine) but its drive, comfort and highway feel is very different (and well, better, as in more isolated).

The turbo reminded me of the b7 rs4. The S was surprising to me as well, like the engine didn't match the weight of the car. What am I supposed to do, keep on the paddles and rev like crazy in a CUV? But they are very popular so I guess people figure it out.
equ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 07:11 PM   #22
rumatt
Mugwump

Carmudgeonly Ride: E46 330i, Chevy Colorado, Tesla Model 3
I used to think "sport wagon" >> "sporty SUV".

But once you state that winter driving is one of the key purposes of the vehicle, then you realize, "Damn 5 inches of ground clearance sucks and I wish I had more. Oh shit, that's what SUV's are for".

That aha moment made me realize that SUV's don't deserve nearly as much shit as people give them.

Oh and as for being fast......... pffft. Why not?

That said, if I could have only one fast car it wouldn't be the SUV. My truck is fast enough. (It does have >300Hp though)
rumatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 08:44 PM   #23
equ
Alphanumeric

Carmudgeonly Ride: 981S, 340i
Your truck has more than 300hp?! That's not that different from the Mac (the murbo?) having 400.. I actually think the v6 diesel (merc, porsche, vw, jgc all the same) 250hp/400-425tq is about perfect for most utility/truck vehicles unless you need serious towing. Even then, it should be biased towards torque.
equ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 08:56 PM   #24
rumatt
Mugwump

Yeah, it's 308 horsepower and 275 lb-ft of torque.

I rarely floor the throttle or get to max RPM. It's not exactly a refined experience, and would likely just spin a rear wheel anyway. But it's there when needed.
Old 10-09-2018, 10:55 PM   #25
lemming
Western Anomaly

Carmudgeonly Ride: White Orca
Quote:
Originally Posted by rumatt View Post
I used to think "sport wagon" >> "sporty SUV".

But once you state that winter driving is one of the key purposes of the vehicle, then you realize, "Damn 5 inches of ground clearance sucks and I wish I had more. Oh shit, that's what SUV's are for".

That aha moment made me realize that SUV's don't deserve nearly as much shit as people give them.

Oh and as for being fast......... pffft. Why not?

That said, if I could have only one fast car it wouldn't be the SUV. My truck is fast enough. (It does have >300Hp though)

I still have the E61.

Not a lot of SUVs match it for cruising range or afterburner on the highway.

JL covers ground clearance.

Turbo covers insanity.

boxster just because.

Volt because it’s a cheap experiment.

I don’t think I’m out of touch with speed. I’m just snobby and have a high bar.

lemming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2018, 08:34 AM   #26
wdc330i
dogged

Carmudgeonly Ride: '22 M440 xDrive GC
Agreed. Our fleet is about perfect:

X5 5.0 with adaptive suspension—excellent family and road trip car
718s—awesome fair-weather commuter/sports car
240 convertible–excellent small family, commuter, sporty car that can do the open air thing.

Plus, father-in-law with V8 Ram pickup.
wdc330i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2018, 08:48 AM   #27
John V
No more BMWs

Carmudgeonly Ride: Ram, MS3, CX-5, RX-8
I think I've gotten boring in my old age and don't really care much about straight line speed. Or maybe I'm just telling myself that because I've been driving the Mazdaspeed a lot and it's not fast.

Still thinking about downsizing the fleet.

CX-5 - Marisa's car, neither of us love it, it may get replaced next year, who knows. It's slow, handles okay, but is typical CUV... affected by crosswinds, no power, automatic, blah. I hate driving these things.
Ram 6.7 - Pretty much the perfect pickup truck. I really love it.
Mazdaspeed3 - My daily driver and winter beater. Relatively fun to throw around, and dead nuts reliable.
Boxster S - Occasional commuter, road trip car. I like it, but I feel like for how little we use it, it's kind of a waste, and I'd really rather have that money in investments. Though we're about to take it to our yearly trip to northeast PA and I love love love it on that trip, driving winding roads with the leaves falling.
BMW - Race car. Sold, gonna miss that one.
RX-8 - New race car.
John V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2018, 09:19 AM   #28
rumatt
Mugwump

Quote:
Originally Posted by John V View Post
I think I've gotten boring in my old age and don't really care much about straight line speed.
Funny.. my old-age boringness has manifested in not caring about cornering speed. I'm too old to go around a corner on a public road with the tires anywhere near the limits of traction. I do care about body roll and transition feel, but beyond that.. meh.

I'm not really a power whore either, but the occasional zoom-zoom is still remotely entertaining.
Old 10-10-2018, 10:50 AM   #29
clyde
Chief title editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by John V View Post
I think I've gotten boring in my old age and don't really care much about straight line speed. Or maybe I'm just telling myself that because I've been driving the Mazdaspeed a lot and it's not fast.

Still thinking about downsizing the fleet.

CX-5 - Marisa's car, neither of us love it, it may get replaced next year, who knows. It's slow, handles okay, but is typical CUV... affected by crosswinds, no power, automatic, blah. I hate driving these things.
Ram 6.7 - Pretty much the perfect pickup truck. I really love it.
Mazdaspeed3 - My daily driver and winter beater. Relatively fun to throw around, and dead nuts reliable.
Boxster S - Occasional commuter, road trip car. I like it, but I feel like for how little we use it, it's kind of a waste, and I'd really rather have that money in investments. Though we're about to take it to our yearly trip to northeast PA and I love love love it on that trip, driving winding roads with the leaves falling.
BMW - Race car. Sold, gonna miss that one.
RX-8 - New race car.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rumatt View Post
Funny.. my old-age boringness has manifested in not caring about cornering speed. I'm too old to go around a corner on a public road with the tires anywhere near the limits of traction. I do care about body roll and transition feel, but beyond that.. meh.

I'm not really a power whore either, but the occasional zoom-zoom is still remotely entertaining.
Cornering speed was never about absolute cornering speed for me, it was about feel and balance. The insane levels of grip from modern tires on wide wheels raises the car's capability to the point that it's often dangerous to dance on public roads. The answer to that question really is an NA Miata...on crappy tires at that.

Straight line speed...I don't know. I spent a day driving a friend's heavily modified sixth gen Camaro SS last year. It didn't have that much done to make more power, so it wasn't obscene, but driving on the freeway and getting into the throttle a bit was, um, eye-opening and usable often enough that it still sits in my head a year later.

OTOH, when I'm out with my wife, or kids, or any passengers, I'm pretty mindful of any driving action/maneuver that may be "fun" because it's not fun for them. At all. No matter what car. Unless it's someone like minded and looking for that experience.

Nice interior that's a decent place to sit forever, does the things you need it to do (back seat, cargo, etc), few things that drive you nuts, a solid and connected feel when driving, enough power to move when you can AND need to, and something that just makes you feel good to have.

Team WTF?!
What are you gonna do?
clyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2018, 10:50 AM   #30
clyde
Chief title editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by clyde View Post
Cornering speed was never about absolute cornering speed for me, it was about feel and balance. The insane levels of grip from modern tires on wide wheels raises the car's capability to the point that it's often dangerous to dance on public roads. The answer to that question really is an NA Miata...on crappy tires at that.

Straight line speed...I don't know. I spent a day driving a friend's heavily modified sixth gen Camaro SS last year. It didn't have that much done to make more power, so it wasn't obscene, but driving on the freeway and getting into the throttle a bit was, um, eye-opening and usable often enough that it still sits in my head a year later.

OTOH, when I'm out with my wife, or kids, or any passengers, I'm pretty mindful of any driving action/maneuver that may be "fun" because it's not fun for them. At all. No matter what car. Unless it's someone like minded and looking for that experience.

Nice interior that's a decent place to sit forever, does the things you need it to do (back seat, cargo, etc), few things that drive you nuts, a solid and connected feel when driving, enough power to move when you can AND need to, and something that just makes you feel good to have.
Think that was a long winded way of saying, I want the cars I want now, not the cars I want to want.

Team WTF?!
What are you gonna do?
clyde is offline   Reply With Quote