carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Car Talk > Perseverators Anonymous

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-29-2019, 02:42 PM   #1221
kognito
older fart than ZBB
 
kognito's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: On the road again
Posts: 7,409
Quote:
Originally Posted by wdc330i View Post
Interesting. Wouldn't Uber make sense? They may not have the cash, though.
Uber is still bleeding about a billion dollars a quarter (or maybe I am thinking Uber+Lift is loosing a billion)

Apple has money to burn
__________________
2017 GMC Sierra 1500 SLE
2016 Focus SE
kognito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2019, 04:28 PM   #1222
wdc330i
dogged
 
wdc330i's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Carmudgeonly Ride: '17 M240i; '17 718 Boxster S; '16 X5 50i MSport
Posts: 7,325
Quote:
Originally Posted by kognito View Post
Uber is still bleeding about a billion dollars a quarter (or maybe I am thinking Uber+Lift is loosing a billion)

Apple has money to burn
Well, that's true of course.
wdc330i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2019, 08:16 PM   #1223
ZBB
Relic
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Carmudgeonly Ride: A very fast golf cart
Location: The Valley of the Sun
Posts: 11,445
I dropped the Model 3 off at Tesla yesterday afternoon to get the trunk leak looked at. They said a new seal is available so would swap the seal out. I also asked them to look at one other minor issue (a trim piece on the c-pillar that looks like a clip came undone).

I got a text this morning that work was done, and they’d let me know once it was washed/vacuumed and ready for pickup, then I got a text saying that it threw a charging error (the service center here has a Supercharger...), so it was back in service to have that looked at. I have an early flight to Phoenix tomorrow, so it looks like they are keeping it for the weekend now,

At least the loaner I got is a P90D with Ludicrous mode, holy shit is it fast!
__________________
ZBB
ZBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2019, 08:23 PM   #1224
rumatt
Mugwump
 
rumatt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Carmudgeonly Ride: E46 330i, Chevy Colorado, Tesla Model 3
Location: NY
Posts: 17,153
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZBB View Post
At least the loaner I got is a P90D with Ludicrous mode, holy shit is it fast!
Oh now that's fun!

Ludicrous mode must be even more fun when it's someone else's tires and drivetrain.
rumatt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2019, 05:49 PM   #1225
ZBB
Relic
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Carmudgeonly Ride: A very fast golf cart
Location: The Valley of the Sun
Posts: 11,445
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZBB View Post
I dropped the Model 3 off at Tesla yesterday afternoon to get the trunk leak looked at. They said a new seal is available so would swap the seal out. I also asked them to look at one other minor issue (a trim piece on the c-pillar that looks like a clip came undone).

I got a text this morning that work was done, and they’d let me know once it was washed/vacuumed and ready for pickup, then I got a text saying that it threw a charging error (the service center here has a Supercharger...), so it was back in service to have that looked at. I have an early flight to Phoenix tomorrow, so it looks like they are keeping it for the weekend now,

At least the loaner I got is a P90D with Ludicrous mode, holy shit is it fast!
So... I still have the P90D

An hour or so after posting the above, I got a text back from Tesla saying that they noticed a problem when it was charging and that it was back in a service bay. Ended up not being done until Fri when I was out of town.

Was going to pick it up on the way home this afternoon, but they texted again saying that the new unpainted trunk lid had arrived and if it was OK if they installed it and took it to the body shop for paint. I guess the trunk leak was more than just needing the new seal...

Since I still have the P90D, here are some observations:
- It must be an early facelift version with Autopilot 2.0 (my Model 3 has AP2.5...). That means that it does not have Autopilot on Navigate, just the "regular" lane keeping. Its amazing how used to the AI-based automatic lane changes I had gotten -- had to remind myself that I needed to change lanes to get around slower traffic.
- For a car with only 14k miles on it, its really beat up. There's a near-tear/big scuff in the driver's seat leather (odd spot -- right in the middle of the bottom horizontal panel). There are several dings in the metal trim on the interior of the driver's door -- right at the back of the door (near my left upper arm when driving). The wheels are pitted in several spots (salt damage?), etc.
- After driving the Model 3, the center screen now feels huge. Almost too big.
- Same with the steering wheel (I remember thinking how small the 3 wheel was when I first got it; the reality is the 3 is fairly normal; the S has a huge one -- probably since its from the MB parts bin).
- It does feel big and heavy.
- Man is Ludicrous mode fast. I put it in Ludicrous+ for one start also (which gives full power -- 2.6 second 0-6) -- that hurt...

Overall, I like the Model 3 better. But I really miss the hatch. I'm pretty sure I'll be replacing the 3 with a Y once they are out...
__________________
ZBB
ZBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2019, 01:49 PM   #1226
jpgurl
Carmudgeon
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Carmudgeonly Ride: '18 Mini Countryman S; '66 Volvo 1800S
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 1,528
Simone Giertz turned a Model 3 into a pickup truck
jpgurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2019, 03:35 PM   #1227
rumatt
Mugwump
 
rumatt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Carmudgeonly Ride: E46 330i, Chevy Colorado, Tesla Model 3
Location: NY
Posts: 17,153
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZBB View Post
the new unpainted trunk lid had arrived and if it was OK if they installed it and took it to the body shop for paint. I guess the trunk leak was more than just needing the new seal...
rumatt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2019, 03:55 PM   #1228
wdc330i
dogged
 
wdc330i's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Carmudgeonly Ride: '17 M240i; '17 718 Boxster S; '16 X5 50i MSport
Posts: 7,325
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZBB View Post
So... I still have the P90D

An hour or so after posting the above, I got a text back from Tesla saying that they noticed a problem when it was charging and that it was back in a service bay. Ended up not being done until Fri when I was out of town.

Was going to pick it up on the way home this afternoon, but they texted again saying that the new unpainted trunk lid had arrived and if it was OK if they installed it and took it to the body shop for paint. I guess the trunk leak was more than just needing the new seal...

Since I still have the P90D, here are some observations:
- It must be an early facelift version with Autopilot 2.0 (my Model 3 has AP2.5...). That means that it does not have Autopilot on Navigate, just the "regular" lane keeping. Its amazing how used to the AI-based automatic lane changes I had gotten -- had to remind myself that I needed to change lanes to get around slower traffic.
- For a car with only 14k miles on it, its really beat up. There's a near-tear/big scuff in the driver's seat leather (odd spot -- right in the middle of the bottom horizontal panel). There are several dings in the metal trim on the interior of the driver's door -- right at the back of the door (near my left upper arm when driving). The wheels are pitted in several spots (salt damage?), etc.
- After driving the Model 3, the center screen now feels huge. Almost too big.
- Same with the steering wheel (I remember thinking how small the 3 wheel was when I first got it; the reality is the 3 is fairly normal; the S has a huge one -- probably since its from the MB parts bin).
- It does feel big and heavy.
- Man is Ludicrous mode fast. I put it in Ludicrous+ for one start also (which gives full power -- 2.6 second 0-6) -- that hurt...

Overall, I like the Model 3 better. But I really miss the hatch. I'm pretty sure I'll be replacing the 3 with a Y once they are out...
This is quite the saga, ZBB. Sorry!
wdc330i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2019, 06:42 AM   #1229
ZBB
Relic
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Carmudgeonly Ride: A very fast golf cart
Location: The Valley of the Sun
Posts: 11,445
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZBB View Post
Was going to pick it up on the way home this afternoon, but they texted again saying that the new unpainted trunk lid had arrived and if it was OK if they installed it and took it to the body shop for paint. I guess the trunk leak was more than just needing the new seal...
Work was completed while I was in Portugal and I picked it up on Fri. But they are out to T badges - so that is on order and will be put on sometime this week...

The new trunk seal is noticeably different. It’s also much tighter (the old one was loose). As for the replaced trunk lid, they service log states that the original appeared bowed, which may have been causing the leak. I wonder if the bowling was caused by the accident?

For the charging error - it stopped charging after a minute on the Supercharger when they put it on to charge at the end of the original service appointment. They replaced the charge port and charging controller. No issues now...
__________________
ZBB
ZBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2019, 09:51 PM   #1230
rumatt
Mugwump
 
rumatt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Carmudgeonly Ride: E46 330i, Chevy Colorado, Tesla Model 3
Location: NY
Posts: 17,153
Tesla gets full ‘Top Gear’ treatment, Chris Harris to buy Model 3 ‘soon’ after review
rumatt is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:08 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Forums 2003-2008, 'Mudgeon Enterprises - Site hosting by AYN & Associates, LLC