carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Car Talk

Old 05-07-2019, 07:10 PM   #1
Alan
Carmudgeon

Drove a couple of C7 Corvette's

I haven't found the right exact spec i8 and they seem to come up pretty slowly on the market for what I am looking for so I decided to check out the Corvette, I test drove a 2018 red Convertible with 18k miles and a 2016 black Coupe with 7k miles.

I walked away from both test drives with the same feeling … how the heck do these cars drive exactly like my 2006 C6 coupe … I mean the feeling is so much the same that I was getting flashbacks from when I had my car. Back in 2006 I loved my car but after driving so many different cars since I just can't go back to the same car. It is very weird how if there are improvements with the C7 which I am sure there must be I am not feeling them.

Going from my 997 to 991 it felt like a newer, improved and futuristic car going from my old 5 series to my new one it again feels like a much newer, improved and futuristic car. Going from the C6 to the C7 Corvette felt no different

The new Corvettes are beautiful to look at and if I didn't have 4 previous Corvettes maybe I would feel differently but it just doesn't have that feel, I guess the word might be 'sophisticated feel' that new cars have nowadays.

Alan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2019, 07:01 AM   #2
Alan
Carmudgeon

Did I mention while driving one of the Corvettes I saw a Tesla.

Maybe that will get this thread moving
Alan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2019, 07:07 AM   #3
wdc330i
dogged

Carmudgeonly Ride: '22 M440 xDrive GC
Quote:
Originally Posted by AF View Post

wdc330i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2019, 07:53 AM   #4
equ
Alphanumeric

Carmudgeonly Ride: 981S, 340i
Quote:

I've never driven a corvette.. You're not driving the generations back to back, perhaps then you'd notice the subtle improvements?

Interesting what you say about the porsche, bmw evolution... Perhaps it's better the Vettes "feel" alike?

Modern (f10/f30/g?) 3-series and 5-series steering are acceptable, but neither have as good steering as the e90. The 981/991 steering are better, but neither are as good as the 987/997. I'm not just reading these, I feel them.

I try not to think about bygones too much and think about the positives. The e90's interior was not as comfortably designed as the f30. The 987 was lacking in brake feel, the 981 is much better in that regard. The 997 bucky ride and handling are much more classic 911 compared to the pseudo-mid-feeling 991, much less confidence on the front axle, though it was fun when you got it right.

I have nothing against Vettes and in terms of looks, the C7 looks spot on to me, (the previous ones not so much). I just have no experience with them.
equ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2019, 08:30 AM   #5
clyde
Chief title editor

The upcoming C8 sounds to be more in line with what you're looking for, but it still won't be here for a while.

I'm not a huge fan of the C7's looks from the outside, but it's slowly growing on me. Took me a while to warm up to the C6, too. The interior, to me, looks and feels like it's worlds ahead of the past few Corvettes.

A friend has a black C7 with red interior and it has swath of red leather on the dash. From the outside, it looks kinda cool in a boy racer kind of way, but also looks like it would be incredibly distracting and irritating to be looking over it every day. I asked him about it this weekend and he kind looked down and said it throws some glare on the windshield sometimes.

Team WTF?!
What are you gonna do?
clyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2019, 10:38 AM   #6
John V
No more BMWs

Carmudgeonly Ride: Ram, MS3, CX-5, RX-8
I haven't spent much time in the C7. I drove a friend's Grand Sport a few miles last year.

The interior fixed all the complaints I had about the C5 and C6. The ride was a lot better. The engine and drivetrain felt more refined. But it still had some of the same Corvette annoyances - the doors are too long, so it's annoying to park. It's really low, so getting in and out is irritating especially combined with the long doors. And visibility is not great.

I dunno. I guess I'm just not interested in these kinds of cars for the street anymore. I guess I'm getting old.
John V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2019, 11:08 AM   #7
rumatt
Mugwump

Carmudgeonly Ride: E46 330i, Chevy Colorado, Tesla Model 3
Quote:

rumatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2019, 09:41 AM   #8
Josh (PA)
Hello.

Carmudgeonly Ride: '09 X3, '11 328xiT, '11 135i C, '17 c2, '19 X5
Interesting feedback. a C7 vert is a car that on paper checks all the boxes. I want to want it, but there is something about it that gives me the heebie jeebies.
'11 135i Convertible
'11 328xiT
'09 X3
Josh (PA) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2019, 02:22 PM   #9
Plaz
•••••••

Carmudgeonly Ride: '11 1M
My buddy has a C7 vert. I drove it once. It's fun. It doesn't feel nearly as powerful as its specs suggest though. I was surprised. I didn't need to modulate the throttle nearly as gingerly as I anticipated. It felt competent, if not -- as you put well, AF -- sophisticated.
Old 05-19-2019, 07:58 PM   #10
lemming
Western Anomaly

Carmudgeonly Ride: White Orca
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh (PA) View Post
Interesting feedback. a C7 vert is a car that on paper checks all the boxes. I want to want it, but there is something about it that gives me the heebie jeebies.

Can’t say why but feel the same way. I worry the styling will not age well.

lemming is offline   Reply With Quote