carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Car Talk > Perseverators Anonymous

Old 03-04-2013, 04:29 PM   #31
SARAFIL
I like BMWs

Carmudgeonly Ride: X5 M50 / M550
For most companies, they won't have any data for these cars in their system so it will default to "cost new" rating which essentially means it is rated based on original MSRP rather than specific claims history on that model. Eventually it'll catch up as they get more popular, but my gut tells me you'll get reasonable rates for a car that expensive.

And Electric is a small carrier. Out of curiosity, you might want to try getting a quote through a few larger carriers for your current car vs a Tesla to see what they say. Odds are the big guys are more likely to have their acts together which would suggest their rates will be higher. The small companies will likely treat it as a default model, or decline to write it at all.
Old 03-04-2013, 05:30 PM   #32
ZBB
Relic

Carmudgeonly Ride: A very fast golf cart
Quote:
Originally Posted by JST View Post
I watched that this weekend...
Old 03-04-2013, 05:41 PM   #33
ZBB
Relic

Quote:
Originally Posted by SARAFIL View Post

And Electric is a small carrier. Out of curiosity, you might want to try getting a quote through a few larger carriers for your current car vs a Tesla to see what they say. Odds are the big guys are more likely to have their acts together which would suggest their rates will be higher. The small companies will likely treat it as a default model, or decline to write it at all.
I'll definitely get quotes from other carriers. I get an employee discount with Electric though, and have some other connections there through work...
Old 03-04-2013, 06:52 PM   #34
clyde
Chief title editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZBB View Post
I saw a Model S stopped at a light right by my office this morning - probably the same one I've seen 3 times now within a few blocks of the office.

It is white with tan interior and the panoramic roof. That's the same color combo I would order...
I saw a dark gray (black?) one this morning in downtown DC driven by a boring looking middle aged dude and a dark red one this evening a few blocks from my house driven by a semi-hot soccer mom looking woman.

Team WTF?!
What are you gonna do?
clyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 06:57 PM   #35
robg
Carmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZBB View Post
Actually, maintenance will be nearly identical to the Porsche. I've averaged $600 per year on the Boxster (its been in for 3 visits in 2.5 years -- one of which was a "major service")...

Tesla requires service inspections at 12 month or 12,500 mile intervals -- and they void the warranty if any are missed (although this may not hold up in many states...). They charge $600 each for these if done from a service center (one is opening in Scottsdale shortly), and $100 more if done by their "ranger" service (they come to you...). Similar coverage to the BMW "free" service (basically all wearable parts like wipers and brakes, except tires are excluded).

They also sell a pre-paid service plan -- 4 year / 50k miles. $1900 at a service center; $2400 for ranger. If you live someplace far from a service center, the ranger plan also includes unlimited ranger visits (which cost $100, even for warranty work without the plan)...

Info here: http://www.teslamotors.com/service
Hmm. That kind of rubs me the wrong way considering how electric cars have fewer wear and tear parts. I understand its a new design so they want to keep close tabs on things but in that case they should include the inspections in the cost of the car.

Didn't understand the BMW comparison so maybe I misunderstood something though? BMW includes the service in the cost of the car including wipers and brakes.
robg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 07:06 PM   #36
ZBB
Relic

Quote:
Originally Posted by robg View Post

Didn't understand the BMW comparison so maybe I misunderstood something though? BMW includes the service in the cost of the car including wipers and brakes.
I was comparing scope of coverage to BMW, not cost...
Old 03-04-2013, 09:28 PM   #37
ZBB
Relic

OK... I jut found a really cool range tool. Takes elevation changes and speed into account to show how much charge is remaining for certain distances...

All the measurements are in metric, but very cool...

http://www.jurassictest.ch/GR/
Old 03-05-2013, 12:06 AM   #38
Rob
The user formerly known as rwg

Carmudgeonly Ride: Z4
It's just a matter of time until you get one. Order it now. Then invite me for a ride the next time I swing through your town on my way to my brother in law's house.
Rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 01:24 PM   #39
ZBB
Relic

Couple quick updates...

I booked a flight to LA to go get a test drive in a couple weeks (Mar 29/30). Was thinking of doing a mid-week day trip, but instead going over on a Fri afternoon and back on Sat evening due to a friend's availability... Flight was cheap -- $138 round trip!

One of the local Model S owners has also offered to meet up for a quick drive and a beer. He's hosted meet-ups at his house for local owners...
Old 03-11-2013, 09:17 AM   #40
clyde
Chief title editor

Monday evening I posted that I saw one that morning... That was just the start of a flood. I think I've seen 2 or 3 every day since.

Team WTF?!
What are you gonna do?
clyde is offline   Reply With Quote