carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Car Talk

Old 11-30-2018, 10:30 AM   #21
equ
Alphanumeric

Carmudgeonly Ride: 981S, 340i
Quote:
Originally Posted by FC View Post
The Miata front end is pretty beat-up as it is (and the car has a few dents), so it's solidly in "I don't care" territory. Might as well let that car get the abuse from salty/sandy spray.

Oh, and I checked with one of the few local places that sell Hakka's and their price for the tires-only, installed on my own rims, is almost $900. So, no. I can get a set of Michelins on alloy wheels from Tirerack for that much. I might just do that. WS80's are another $80 more due to rebates.

Currently, because the previous owner was an AutoX junkie, I guess, the car is fitted with 225 tires (as opposed to factory-spec 205's). Going with WS80's in 195 may feel way to weird to me. The Michelins are 205 and a smidge more sporty.
Other than the worst storms (for which you have the LR4), 205 michelins will be fine, pilot alpin if you want to drive more sportily x-ice for a bit more winter grip.
equ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2018, 10:33 AM   #22
rumatt
Mugwump

Carmudgeonly Ride: E46 330i, Chevy Colorado, Tesla Model 3
I nearly got stuck trying to get up hills enough time in the E46 that I'm squarely in the camp that Front engine + RWD + open diff is unacceptable for a snow vehicle. Slushy salty driving, sure. But real snow. No thanks.

I know it can work OK if you get good snow tires, but even then. As the tires start to wear and the grip starts to degrade slightly, you creep closer and closer to stuck-land.
rumatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2018, 11:17 AM   #23
wdc330i
dogged

Carmudgeonly Ride: '22 M440 xDrive GC
Quote:
Originally Posted by rumatt View Post
I nearly got stuck trying to get up hills enough time in the E46 that I'm squarely in the camp that Front engine + RWD + open diff is unacceptable for a snow vehicle. Slushy salty driving, sure. But real snow. No thanks.

I know it can work OK if you get good snow tires, but even then. As the tires start to wear and the grip starts to degrade slightly, you creep closer and closer to stuck-land.
Only time I really got stuck was in our old X5, with performance snow tires. I had pulled into gravel parking area in the country down by an outbuilding. It was a slight decline in very soft, slushy snow and I needed to back up and out to the main driveway. I had to dig my way out. The snows were probably only a year or two old at that point.
wdc330i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2018, 01:59 PM   #24
equ
Alphanumeric

Quote:
The Miata front end is pretty beat-up as it is (and the car has a few dents), so it's solidly in "I don't care" territory. Might as well let that car get the abuse from salty/sandy spray.

Oh, and I checked with one of the few local places that sell Hakka's and their price for the tires-only, installed on my own rims, is almost $900. So, no. I can get a set of Michelins on alloy wheels from Tirerack for that much. I might just do that. WS80's are another $80 more due to rebates.

Currently, because the previous owner was an AutoX junkie, I guess, the car is fitted with 225 tires (as opposed to factory-spec 205's). Going with WS80's in 195 may feel way to weird to me. The Michelins are 205 and a smidge more sporty.
FC:

Here is a C&D test that rates the x-ice higher than the ws blizzak. My x-ice set is older and xi2, so it maybe a gen behind the GTI blizzak (which I'm pretty sure is the ws80).
Old 11-30-2018, 04:13 PM   #25
FC
Solving problems

Carmudgeonly Ride: M5 / 718 GTS / Cooper S / GTI / LR4
Thanks equ. That's good to know.
FC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2018, 05:28 PM   #26
equ
Alphanumeric

Quote:
Thanks equ. That's good to know.
I missed the link last time. Here it is:

https://www.caranddriver.com/feature...mpared-feature
Old 12-01-2018, 09:26 AM   #27
IndyMike
Elected by grace

Carmudgeonly Ride: 11 1 M; 11 328iT; 22 M240ix
Wish I would have seen this article last week. On black Friday I purchased 4 WS-80's for the frau's Sportwagon. With the $70 rebate it wound up to be $144.00 per tire, which is right in my preferred wheelhouse when looking at a partial year usage tire.

I might have considered getting the Michi's instead. But the Blizzak's are still a solid choice. Driving in snow is more about stopping and survival, than about having fun.

The Hakka's are impressive no doubt. But dropping 8 benji's on a set of snow tires? Not happening. The wife would rather have the $200 difference in a Starbucks giftcard.

And at the risk of starting another epic winter tire vs all-season tire flame war, I'm decidedly on the side of an all-season being adequate here in Indiana middle on my R32. I've cut through 8 inches of fresh powder with the Conti DSW's before with ease. At $138 per shoe that is fun enough for my tastes. And finally (and this is a biggie), I have limited storage space already housing two other sets of spare tires without adding a 3rd set to the mix.

That being said, if I were in FC's shoes I'd probably spring for the Hakka's. But it's always too easy vicariously spending someone else's money.
Old 12-01-2018, 09:31 AM   #28
equ
Alphanumeric

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyMike View Post
Wish I would have seen this article last week. On black Friday I purchased 4 WS-80's for the frau's Sportwagon. With the $70 rebate it wound up to be $144.00 per tire, which is right in my preferred wheelhouse when looking at a partial year usage tire.
Article notwithstanding, our personal experience is that the Blizzak has more snow & ice traction. It rides/grumbles just a bit more than the X-ice and that suits the GTI just fine. You'll love them.

FC has a Landie with snow shoes, he can skip the Hakkas, I think whichever is cheaper, blizzak or x-ice will work for him. The x-ice will be a bit smoother on a sports car.
Old 12-03-2018, 01:07 PM   #29
wdc330i
dogged

Carmudgeonly Ride: '22 M440 xDrive GC
There's a brief mention of the new Miata on Blizzaks here: http://forums.carmudgeons.com/showth...582#post542582
wdc330i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2018, 01:22 PM   #30
FC
Solving problems

Carmudgeonly Ride: M5 / 718 GTS / Cooper S / GTI / LR4
Quote:
Originally Posted by wdc330i View Post
There's a brief mention of the new Miata on Blizzaks here: http://forums.carmudgeons.com/showth...582#post542582
Thanks. Yeah, I saw that, but they are Blizzak LM's, which are the sporty ones.

I pulled the trigger on the X-ICE Michelins on Saturday. I should get them this week.

Thanks everyone!
FC is offline   Reply With Quote