carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Car Talk

Old 06-08-2006, 12:44 PM   #1
IndyMike
Elected by grace

Carmudgeonly Ride: 11 1 M; 11 328iT; 22 M240ix
Audi RS4 Avant & vert

The Avant looks really sweet. Looks like the classic Audi primo interior fit, finish and layout continue. Wouldn't really expect anything else, especially in the RS line.

Oh, and the cab doesn't reek either.

Auto Express's exclusive first drive of Audi's all-new TT will be grabbing the headlines this week, but the firm's sports car stable has two more thrilling members making their debut. We've already been impressed by the RS4 saloon, but how do the Avant and Cabriolet versions measure up?

As with its illustrious estate predecessors, the new RS4 Avant blends performance, style and practicality. The imposing bodykit and bulging wheelarches of the saloon work just as well on the Avant, so there's no mistaking the estate's sporting intentions.

The normally aspirated V8 pumps out 414bhp and 430Nm of torque, and the load-lugger's 0-60mph time of 4.7 seconds is only a tenth slower than the saloon's. Revving to 8,250rpm, the powerplant provides a fantastic soundtrack, while the short-throw six-speed gearbox is Audi's best-ever.

Inside, the Avant's 442-litre boot capacity is 18 litres smaller than the saloon's, but once you fold the rear seats, it increases to a very practical 1,354 litres. Crucially, opting for the Avant doesn't mean you compromise on driver enjoyment, because like the four-door, it's savagely quick, involving and exciting. The chassis delivers amazing stability, while the quattro drivetrain ensures excellent traction.

With this much performance on tap, some drivers will want to feel the wind in their hair, too. So for the first time the German firm has launched an RS4 Cabriolet. You might expect the A4 drop-top to struggle to cope with this much power, but the engineers have done a good job of strengthening the body. As a result, the RS4 Cabriolet has the same dynamic abilities as the saloon and estate, with only a tiny amount of body twist when cornering.

The car's fully automatic fabric roof folds in only 21 seconds, which allows for even better appreciation of the V8 soundtrack. But when the standard-fit high-density acoustic top is raised, wind noise at speed is impressively low. And while the extra strengthening has added 195kg over the saloon, the Cabriolet still offers scintillating performance.

Whichever model you choose, excitement is guaranteed. The only problem is that RS4 fans will need deep pockets; the Avant costs £51,825, while the Cabriolet weighs in at a hefty £59,625.
IndyMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2006, 12:55 PM   #2
Plaz
•••••••

Carmudgeonly Ride: '11 1M
The cars are attractive.

But that phone in pic 3 looks as big as my shoe.
Old 06-08-2006, 01:18 PM   #3
blee
Doctor Mudgeon

That thing is not going to be cheap. There are worse ways to spend that kind of dough, though.
blee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2006, 01:21 PM   #4
FC
Solving problems

Carmudgeonly Ride: M5 / 718 GTS / Cooper S / GTI / LR4
Quote:
Originally Posted by blee
That thing is not going to be cheap. There are worse ways to spend that kind of dough, though.
If I were single, very wealthy, and lived ~south of MA, the RS4 Avant would be my daily driver/winter/utility car to go along with a sportscar, fatpigness/crappy weight distribution and all.
FC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2006, 01:26 PM   #5
dan
redefined

those fender flares are a little much
Old 06-08-2006, 01:37 PM   #6
blee
Doctor Mudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fernando
If I were single, very wealthy, and lived ~south of MA, the RS4 Avant would be my daily driver/winter/utility car to go along with a sportscar, fatpigness/crappy weight distribution and all.
If you were single, you wouldn't really need the Avant.
blee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2006, 01:37 PM   #7
dan
redefined

only a weirdo would buy a touring if he was a single dude
Old 06-08-2006, 01:47 PM   #8
ed328ci
Realist

Carmudgeonly Ride: E90 325i
Nice car, but it gets around 12 mpg. Seriously. It's also priced around the same as a 550.

Common sense, isn't
ed328ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2006, 02:38 PM   #9
Plaz
•••••••

Carmudgeonly Ride: '11 1M
Quote:
Originally Posted by bonoboy
only a weirdo would buy a touring if he was a single dude
I can think of two weirdos off the top of my head, then.
Old 06-08-2006, 02:48 PM   #10
FC
Solving problems

Carmudgeonly Ride: M5 / 718 GTS / Cooper S / GTI / LR4

Why not? Before I met my wife ~2000 (and even afterwards), my plan was to sell my 190E and get a used A4 Avant, then save my pennies and get a used 986S a few years later. (She was the one who told me that was silly and to "get the fun car now," so I ended up buying the 330i.)

An RS4 and a GT3/Atom/whatever just brings things up a notch or two.

I find a compact wagon is a great car. I love the Saabaru for its great usefulness + AWD. So if can get that versatility and a high level of performance all in one, why not? Of course, an RS4 would also be a nice luxury car than can haul 4 adults in comfort to boot.

But maybe I am crazy. Ok, I am crazy.

...oh, and I guess I'm a weirdo too.
FC is offline   Reply With Quote