carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Car Talk

Old 12-21-2023, 12:33 PM   #1
3LOU5
Slacker Extraordinaire

Things Chevrolet does better than BMW

So it's that time of the year when I pull out my beater K1500 Chevy from the side yard and spend some serious seat time.

I really like driving this truck. Sure it has many shortcomings like decreased fuel economy, sloppy loose handling, etc., but compared to my beloved E46, there are somethings that it does BETTER, believe it or not.

I love when I look at my rearview mirror, and even after MANY years, it STILL holds it position. I adjust it once and forget about it.

Not my BMW.

I would adjust my rearview mirror to my liking, and in about 6 months or so, it would droop down a good inch/inch-and-a-half. That may not sound like much, but it's rather annoying. Can't believe one of Germany's premier automakers can't get something as simple as this right.

But the kicker is something I consider important: speedometer accuracy.

Anytime I drive past those mobile speed indicators on my truck, I am amazed how accurate my truck's speedometer is. When I'm doing 50, I'm doing 50. When I'm doing 45, I'm doing EXACTLY 45.

Not in my BMW.

The speedometer in my E46 is a good 2-3 mph OFF. It's inaccurate on the slow side, which is good because I (hopefully) won't get ticketed for driving over the limit. Again, I can't believe those smart German engineers can't get this right. People in Germany are NOTORIOUS for being EXACT. I remember spending time in Deutschland, riding their rail system, and remembering how accurate the arriving/departing times were. Even their stores and restaurants open and close almost to the exact second.

Why can't they do the same thing to their speedometers ?? I don't get it.

Well, I guess I shouldn't complain. Our Sienna is about 1-2 mph off, so I suppose it must be an "import" thing.

I suppose speedometer accuracy is one thing American carmakers are good at ....

2009 Harley-Davidson Sportster XL883 Low (Vivid Black) - his
2018 Can-Am Spyder RT Limited - hers
2007 Harley-Davidson Sportster XL883 Low (Pearl White) - hers (SOLD 02/29/20)
2011 Tao Tao 50 - whoevers bike is in the shop
2007 Reinell 186 FNS - the dog's
1995 Fleetwood Flair 27R - EVERYBODY'S !
3LOU5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2023, 12:36 PM   #2
Nick M3
Relic

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3LOU5 View Post
So it's that time of the year when I pull out my beater K1500 Chevy from the side yard and spend some serious seat time.

I really like driving this truck. Sure it has many shortcomings like decreased fuel economy, sloppy loose handling, etc., but compared to my beloved E46, there are somethings that it does BETTER, believe it or not.

I love when I look at my rearview mirror, and even after MANY years, it STILL holds it position. I adjust it once and forget about it.

Not my BMW.

I would adjust my rearview mirror to my liking, and in about 6 months or so, it would droop down a good inch/inch-and-a-half. That may not sound like much, but it's rather annoying. Can't believe one of Germany's premier automakers can't get something as simple as this right.

But the kicker is something I consider important: speedometer accuracy.

Anytime I drive past those mobile speed indicators on my truck, I am amazed how accurate my truck's speedometer is. When I'm doing 50, I'm doing 50. When I'm doing 45, I'm doing EXACTLY 45.

Not in my BMW.

The speedometer in my E46 is a good 2-3 mph OFF. It's inaccurate on the slow side, which is good because I (hopefully) won't get ticketed for driving over the limit. Again, I can't believe those smart German engineers can't get this right. People in Germany are NOTORIOUS for being EXACT. I remember spending time in Deutschland, riding their rail system, and remembering how accurate the arriving/departing times were. Even their stores and restaurants open and close almost to the exact second.

Why can't they do the same thing to their speedometers ?? I don't get it.

Well, I guess I shouldn't complain. Our Sienna is about 1-2 mph off, so I suppose it must be an "import" thing.

I suppose speedometer accuracy is one thing American carmakers are good at ....

The speedometer (in)accuracy is regulatory. It's annoying, though. Assuming that you're running standard diameter tires, the car knows exactly how fast its going.
1995 M3 S50B32
1990 325is
1989 M3 S54B32

Hers:
1989 325iX
1996 911 Turbo

Nick M3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2023, 05:16 PM   #3
Alan
Carmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick M3 View Post
The speedometer (in)accuracy is regulatory. It's annoying, though. Assuming that you're running standard diameter tires, the car knows exactly how fast its going.
Regulatory for Germany ?

I remember discussing this back in the fest days and my understanding is that even though the speedometer is off the miles on the odometer are correct.
Alan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2023, 07:37 PM   #4
SARAFIL
I like BMWs

Carmudgeonly Ride: X5 M50 / M550
Yes, it’s a law in Europe (not sure if just German or broader) - they have to build in buffer to guarantee that the speedometer never understates the speed, even if the vehicle owner does something stupid like putting in the wrong size tires, so if your car is operating as designed it will overstate speed on the speedometer.
Old 12-21-2023, 10:43 PM   #5
Alan
Carmudgeon

Interesting, thanks for the explanation
Alan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2024, 10:02 AM   #6
Pinecone
Carmudgeon

On my E46 M3, running 265/40-18 tires makes the speedo spot on.
1995 Alpine E36 M3 LTW
1990 Red/White Spec Racer
Pinecone is offline   Reply With Quote