carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Car Talk

Old 01-06-2020, 09:47 AM   #1
FC
Solving problems

Carmudgeonly Ride: M5 / 718 GTS / Cooper S / GTI / LR4
Experienced Ludicrous+ mode

I am not a Tesla guy so I don't know what the exact model is, but I do know from the CEO that he has the fastest Model S Tesla makes with every option checked. Our CEO (and part owner - family company) is a pretty laid back guy who fancies himself a mini-Musk/Jobs type of guy.

Anyhow, Friday afternoon he took me and three others for a quick ride. Note that while we were all fairly slender passengers for being Americans, it was still a solid 650lb+ penalty for the 4 additional passengers. The driver is a good 190-200lbs.

The acceleration from a full stop was simply outrageous. Notably, it was the first second or so that was most remarkable. Don't get me wrong, it continued to pull like mad, but I've had a very hard-accelerating car and while the Tesla was faster, from about 1-2 seconds on it didn't make me rethink automotive performance.

But that first second? No joke, my face hurt. Really, my cheekbones felt... something. That was insane. I am looking forward to one day getting something like that.

Other comments: Liked the seats. Very comfortable. Woefully lacking in lateral support. Clearly the car is meant for straight-line giggles. And it's spectacular at it.

The owner, a self-proclaimed non-car guy who just loves tech and needs to have the latest and a software guy by training, seemed very excited to show the fart mode and other Easter eggs.

In the process (and riding shotgun), I saw him use the screen a lot, and mind you this guy has had Model S's for several years now and was quite familiar with the UI. Let me tell you, I like it less. My fears about no tactile feedback and having to get your eyes off the road to interact with it were fully realized. Maybe that was not normal (accessing certain menus/dialogues, etc) but it looked clumsy and unsafe.

Anyway, it was a tremendous experience. It also confirms EV's are the obvious architecture for performance on on the street. I am also glad to have a stickshift. At least that way you get the full IC experience. Track use is different of course.

OT from this morning: The M3 accidentally drifted a fair bit on an on-ramp this morning. It surprised me a little. I checked and tire temps were in the low 30's and I suppose I was fairly aggressive on the gas with narrow (square) winter tires, but still. That was unexpected, fun, a little startling, but ultimately the cars was ridiculously well balanced and it wound up being a beautiful drift.
FC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2020, 10:51 AM   #2
Theo
Crazy Old Man

Carmudgeonly Ride: M2C Stick
Quote:
Originally Posted by FC View Post
OT from this morning: The M3 accidentally drifted a fair bit on an on-ramp this morning. It surprised me a little. I checked and tire temps were in the low 30's and I suppose I was fairly aggressive on the gas with narrow (square) winter tires, but still. That was unexpected, fun, a little startling, but ultimately the cars was ridiculously well balanced and it wound up being a beautiful drift.
This part made my morning. I’ve had those unexpected drifts happen in my MR2, the M5 and the C55. All controllable but the unexpected thrill, again as long as it’s controllable, wakes you up, makes you giggle and leaves a smile on your face all day.
Old 01-06-2020, 11:06 AM   #3
Nick M3
Relic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theo View Post
This part made my morning. I’ve had those unexpected drifts happen in my MR2, the M5 and the C55. All controllable but the unexpected thrill, again as long as it’s controllable, wakes you up, makes you giggle and leaves a smile on your face all day.
Modern (E9x+) traction control is super nice for this. I don't know if the F80 also has this, but once you program the E90 to European mode, the traction control is *extremely* generous with the allowed slip angle. US mode is still more permissive than the E46, but definitely dials the fun back.
1995 M3 S50B32
1990 325is
1989 M3 S54B32

Hers:
1989 325iX
1996 911 Turbo

Nick M3 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2020, 11:15 AM   #4
robg
Carmudgeon

Quote:
is a pretty laid back guy who fancies himself a mini-Musk/Jobs type of guy.
Ha - not sure "laid back" describes those 2.

Quote:
My fears about no tactile feedback and having to get your eyes off the road to interact with it were fully realized. Maybe that was not normal (accessing certain menus/dialogues, etc) but it looked clumsy and unsafe.
Yep. Now that I have a car with a touch screen, I'm even more convinced that it's the wrong interface method for a car. Tesla has made touch screens "cool", and now any car that doesn't have one gets dinged by the press. BMW seems like the last hold out of atleast offering the control knob as an alternate control method- but I wouldn't be surprised if they ditch the idrive knob in the next few years.
robg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2020, 11:42 AM   #5
FC
Solving problems

Quote:
Originally Posted by robg View Post
Ha - not sure "laid back" describes those 2.
Well, I meant the thinking of him self as a visionary part. He is not a workaholic like those guys.
Old 01-06-2020, 02:07 PM   #6
rumatt
Mugwump

Carmudgeonly Ride: E46 330i, Chevy Colorado, Tesla Model 3
Quote:
we were all fairly slender passengers for being Americans
Hey, I take offense to that. Just kidding. We're definitely a bunch of fatties.

I've never experienced ludicrous mode, and I'm not sure I need it. My model 3 is enough speed to make me giggle.

Another interesting phenomenon is that I've noticed it feels faster as a passenger than as a driver. I'm not sure why. Even the sales guy agreed, and he experiences both on a regular basis.
rumatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2020, 02:17 PM   #7
FC
Solving problems

Quote:
Originally Posted by rumatt View Post
Hey, I take offense to that. Just kidding. We're definitely a bunch of fatties.

I've never experienced ludicrous mode, and I'm not sure I need it. My model 3 is enough speed to make me giggle.

Another interesting phenomenon is that I've noticed it feels faster as a passenger than as a driver. I'm not sure why. Even the sales guy agreed, and he experiences both on a regular basis.
No doubt the passenger effect is there. And that is why projecting as a driver and with the additional ballast I am not entirely sure anything but the initial take-off was noticeably faster than the 997TT.

I know it has AWD but I was still surprised by the amount of traction given that it was only around 40F and the tires were cold.
Old 01-06-2020, 02:49 PM   #8
rumatt
Mugwump

Carmudgeonly Ride: E46 330i, Chevy Colorado, Tesla Model 3
Quote:
I know it has AWD but I was still surprised by the amount of traction given that it was only around 40F and the tires were cold.
Agreed. Even on snow tires, the instant "go" factor is still there.

I really think the lack of sound - other than wind noise and a slight whine of the motors - adds to the effect to. There's just something surreal about it.

You would think speed is one of those things you're continually chasing, and more is always better. But now that I have the ability to make both myself and my passengers sick by accelerating from a stop, I don't feel the need more.
rumatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2020, 02:59 PM   #9
FC
Solving problems

Quote:
Originally Posted by rumatt View Post
Agreed. Even on snow tires, the instant "go" factor is still there.

I really think the lack of sound - other than wind noise and a slight whine of the motors - adds to the effect to. There's just something surreal about it.

You would think speed is one of those things you're continually chasing, and more is always better. But now that I have the ability to make both myself and my passengers sick by accelerating from a stop, I don't feel the need more.
I agree. I always said the 997TT was too fast. Maybe I'm starting to forget, but at times the M3 feels pretty close. It is also plenty fast. Since I do not track them, I have way more power than I need.
Old 01-06-2020, 03:50 PM   #10
Nick M3
Relic

More power is honestly even harder to use well in track cars.
1995 M3 S50B32
1990 325is
1989 M3 S54B32

Hers:
1989 325iX
1996 911 Turbo

Nick M3 is online now   Reply With Quote