carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Car Talk > Perseverators Anonymous

Old 04-29-2008, 12:02 PM   #81
Plaz
•••••••

Carmudgeonly Ride: '11 1M
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharp11 View Post
Btw, did you eat one of those larger tootsie rolls? The damned thing stuck to the inside top of my skull....

Your Mini looks great - that one shot Cara took of your car heading toward the gently sweeping right hand uphill turn is just great.

Maybe Equ can put it up.

Ed
Yeah, I thought I was going to pull a crown off with those... not as bad a Jolly Ranchers in that department, but space-age adhesive properties nonetheless.

The bulk of the bag went to my little almost-6-year-old, who was thrilled at the surprise goodies.

Cara definitely has a good eye... some great shots indeed.

Last edited by Plaz; 04-29-2008 at 12:09 PM.
Plaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 12:05 PM   #82
equ
Alphanumeric

Carmudgeonly Ride: 981S, 340i
Once again, thanks, Ed. It was fun and relaxing...
equ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 12:07 PM   #83
Plaz
•••••••

Quote:
Originally Posted by equ View Post
This one? I was beginning to get tired of looking at mini a$$ all day, if it weren't for those double yellows.

It was definitely an easy-peasy cruise... even I, in the most displacement-challenged buggy of the caravan, thought we could have moved along with just a smidge more alacrity... you must've felt like you were just cruising around a parking lot in that sweet croc-o-monster of yours.

Of course, that being said, I think Ed's judgment in the matter was probably right on the money. We did pass several black-and-whites who batted nary an eye at our little parade, thankfully.
Old 04-29-2008, 12:09 PM   #84
Plaz
•••••••

Quote:
Once again, thanks, Ed. It was fun and relaxing...
Old 04-29-2008, 12:15 PM   #85
equ
Alphanumeric

Carmudgeonly Ride: 981S, 340i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plaz View Post
It was definitely an easy-peasy cruise... even I, in the most displacement-challenged buggy of the caravan, thought we could have moved along with just a smidge more alacrity... you must've felt like you were just cruising around a parking lot in that sweet croc-o-monster of yours.
Actually you seemed quite fast from a stop... Though I'm not sure if you wear out your tires and brakes faster than Ru.
equ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 12:40 PM   #86
Plaz
•••••••

Getting back on topic somewhat, I drove through truly torrential rain on my commute home last night... the kind of heavy rain where it appears there's an inch of the stuff on the road even in areas of excellent drainage, just because it's coming down so fast.

I have to say the Eagle F1 GSD3s were nothing short of excellent in the heavy rain... the car did not budge from the road, I felt ZERO hydroplaning at 50mph or so. I don't know how much of the success to attribute to the tires, and how much to attribute to the car/chassis/FWD, but it was very confidence inspiring.

The GSD3's tread pattern is a lot like those old GoodYear "AquaTread" tires form the 90s... save the deep center channel on that old model (and the blocks for snow, as the AT's were all-season)... it's certainly effective.

GSD3:

Aquatread:
Old 04-29-2008, 12:57 PM   #87
Rob
The user formerly known as rwg

Carmudgeonly Ride: Z4
You mean "except for that wide center groove that gave the water some place to go and the wide grooves on the side of the tire that got the water out from underneath the tire?" B/c that sounds like the water removal properties of the Aqua Tread.

Honestly, I think tires are just better now then they were 20 years ago. The stability of the Khumos I have on the 328i in the rain was remarkable to me.

Last edited by Rob; 04-29-2008 at 01:07 PM.
Rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 01:02 PM   #88
zach
swinging for the fences

Carmudgeonly Ride: 987, X7 M60i, e36 M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by rwg View Post
You mean "except for that wide center groove that gave the water some place to go and the wide grooves on the side of the tire that got the water out from underneath the tire?" B/c that sounds like the water removal properties of the Aqua Tread.

Honestly, I think tires are just better now then they were 20 years ago. The stability of the Khumos I have on the 328i was remarkable to me.
I agree. I think tires are just better now. My PS2s are terrific in heavy rain; much better than the stupid Dunlops that came with the car. I actually thought that the PS2s might be decent in mild snow. Nope.
zach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 09:36 PM   #89
lemming
Western Anomaly

Carmudgeonly Ride: White Orca
Quote:
Actually you seemed quite fast from a stop... Though I'm not sure if you wear out your tires and brakes faster than Ru.
i like the JCW bumper/aerokit.

http://northamericanmotoring.com/for...d.php?t=138261

lemming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 09:49 PM   #90
FC
Solving problems

Carmudgeonly Ride: M5 / 718 GTS / Cooper S / GTI / LR4
I like the kit, but not enough to pay for that much for it.
FC is offline   Reply With Quote