Old 05-10-2012, 09:17 PM   #1
JST

E92 cab

Wow, this car has no luggage space at all.Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1336698981.075749.jpg
Views:	326
Size:	71.7 KB
ID:	7564

That's my half full duffel bag, which barely fit into the "trunk" with the top down. Silly.
JST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 10:21 PM   #2
Sharp11
Vicarious Twitterer

Carmudgeonly Ride: 06 330 cic ZHP
Courtesy car? This is one reason I prefer ragtops, they fold neatly into tight spaces (although Mazda seems to have found a way to get its folding tin top into the same size space as its cloth top).

Let us know how you like the e92 - does it feel solid?
Sharp11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 10:47 PM   #3
JST

It's a pleasant car. I do like the normally aspirated six; it has plenty of power around town and a very nice power delivery. Much smoother than I remember the engine in the F30 being.

The automatic is terrible, though perhaps not quite as terrible as prior BMW autos (though nowhere near as good as the one in the F30). The seats are also kind of awful, with short bottom cushions and no bolstering.

I really like the current gen iDrive, which is fast and very intuitive to use.

The hardtop is stupid. Buttoned up its nice, but it takes forever to raise and lower and takes up all your luggage space. I'd rather have a fabric top.

Dynamically, the car feels heavy and dense, and although the cowl shake is minimal, it's definitely there. The suspension is firmer than my 5, but it still feels under damped.

I wouldn't get the convertible, and I wouldn't get the coupe, but I can definitely see getting an e90 328 sedan or wagon with SP. it strikes me that one of those would be a great all-rounder, though the curmudgeon in my shakes my head at how much it would cost to get into one.
JST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 10:52 PM   #4
FC
Solving problems

Carmudgeonly Ride: M5 / 718 GTS / Cooper S / GTI / LR4
Quote:
Originally Posted by JST View Post
I wouldn't get the convertible, and I wouldn't get the coupe, but I can definitely see getting an e90 328 sedan or wagon with SP. it strikes me that one of those would be a great all-rounder, though the curmudgeon in my shakes my head at how much it would cost to get into one.
My E91 is freaking awesome. And it looks cool and very unique. It is a very real (though not likely) possibility that I may just keep it post lease.
FC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 06:55 AM   #5
wdc330i
dogged

Carmudgeonly Ride: '22 M440 xDrive GC
We are very happy with our e91. Plenty of power, and SP fixes the problem with the seats and handling very nicely. It feels quite like my e46 330i in the power department.

Plus we got about $6k off, with, dealer discount, USAA incentive, and BMWCCA rebate. So, while pricey, it was closer to $40k than $50k. So, not far off what the 330i cost in 2002.

I hope it lasts forever. It will however, feel less luxurious than your 5, less powerful, and less spacious. The luxury/space thing doesn't matter on our end, because we also have the X5, which is essentially a 5 series on stilts.

E91 replaces a less useful sedan/coupe handily, it doesn't really take the place of a large commodious family hauler.

And yes, the 328cic has a ridiculously small trunk. My M3 really can fit quite a bit top down.
wdc330i is online now   Reply With Quote