carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Car Talk

Old 04-15-2008, 12:58 PM   #11
rautox
Crotchety

Carmudgeonly Ride: Phone book... or two
For the ocassional sloppy-mobile, cherokee or later isuzu trooper/acura slx if you want something more upscale.
rautox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2008, 12:59 PM   #12
John V
No more BMWs

Carmudgeonly Ride: Ram, MS3, CX-5, RX-8
I can't think of many worse ideas than buying an old Land Rover. Or a new Land Rover for that matter.

If this vehicle really is going to be used infrequently, buy a Cherokee. Those things are rugged as hell and I bet the parts for them are pretty cheap. They're not luxurious but there is something appealing about a tough, simple vehicle.
John V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2008, 01:15 PM   #13
FC
Solving problems

Carmudgeonly Ride: M5 / 718 GTS / Cooper S / GTI / LR4
Quote:
Originally Posted by John V View Post
If this vehicle really is going to be used infrequently, buy a Cherokee. Those things are rugged as hell and I bet the parts for them are pretty cheap. They're not luxurious but there is something appealing about a tough, simple vehicle.
Yup, this was the plan all along, so I'm going back to it. I convinced my brother to buy one and he has been pretty happy. My dad has a full-time mechanic on the payroll that can do just about any kind of work on it for next to nothing.
FC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2008, 01:24 PM   #14
Rob
The user formerly known as rwg

Carmudgeonly Ride: Z4
Quote:
Originally Posted by FC View Post
FWIW, they finish last because they were pricey new. Now they are very cheap. They also finish last because they are unrefined and not suitable for urban environments/families as the main family vehicle/DD.
Huh? They finish last in reliability surveys b/c they break a lot. They always finish last. If the survey is "defects within 90 days of purchase" they finish last. If it's "number of times in the shop in the first year of ownership" they finish last. If it's "cost of repairs over a 5 year period" they finish last. It doesn't have anything to do with cost of the vehicle. The top of those surveys will probably be Lexus - they are not cheap cars either.

If you want one, great. Buy one. But don't pretend they are really reliable, but just misunderstood (unless you really want one and convincing yourself of that is the only way to rationalize it). (And don't expect a trouble free relationship under any circumstances.)
Rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2008, 01:40 PM   #15
FC
Solving problems

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwg View Post
Huh? They finish last in reliability surveys b/c they break a lot. They always finish last. If the survey is "defects within 90 days of purchase" they finish last. If it's "number of times in the shop in the first year of ownership" they finish last. If it's "cost of repairs over a 5 year period" they finish last. It doesn't have anything to do with cost of the vehicle. The top of those surveys will probably be Lexus - they are not cheap cars either.

If you want one, great. Buy one. But don't pretend they are really reliable, but just misunderstood (unless you really want one and convincing yourself of that is the only way to rationalize it). (And don't expect a trouble free relationship under any circumstances.)
I was talking about the typical C&D-type comparos, not reliability surveys.
Old 04-15-2008, 02:37 PM   #16
lupinsea
Jeeped

Carmudgeonly Ride: Modified Jeep Tj and '07 Miata
If you want something more upscale consider a V8 Grand Cherokee. They won't be quite as nice as an LR but should be somewhat more reliable.

OR

Pimp My Cherokee!

"Jeep is the only true American sports car*" - Enzo Ferrari

* Or something to that effect.
lupinsea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2008, 02:39 PM   #17
FC
Solving problems

Quote:
Originally Posted by lupinsea View Post
If you want something more upscale consider a V8 Grand Cherokee. They should be somewhat more reliable than the LRs.

OR

Pimp My Cherokee!
WTF?! Did cherokee prices jump? My brother paid 5K last summer for a nice '00 with 100K miles. Similar jeeps seem to be going for ~8K+ right now 'round here.
Old 04-15-2008, 02:45 PM   #18
ff

Quote:
Originally Posted by lupinsea View Post
If you want something more upscale consider a V8 Grand Cherokee. They should be somewhat more reliable than the LRs.
Last I heard, GC's were anything but reliable. I guess, though, compared to the LR's it's probably still a relevant statement.

Personally, I'd still spring for the 4Runner V8. We loved ours. Much better MPG, reliability, and resale than the Jeeps. It's missing a solid front axle, but all the other bits are there; solid rear axle, real truck frame, low range transfer case, etc. It's more than adequate for your common once-a-year-off-roader Joe.
ff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2008, 02:49 PM   #19
FC
Solving problems

Quote:
Originally Posted by ff View Post
Last I heard, GC's were anything but reliable. I guess, though, compared to the LR's it's probably still a relevant statement.

Personally, I'd still spring for the 4Runner V8. We loved ours. Much better MPG, reliability, and resale than the Jeeps. It's missing a solid front axle, but all the other bits are there; solid rear axle, real truck frame, low range transfer case, etc. It's more than adequate for your common once-a-year-off-roader Joe.
Yes, I'd love one too. But it's still in the 12-15K range. I was hoping more for 5-10k. Of course, an older 4Runner is also an option.
Old 04-15-2008, 04:03 PM   #20
Alan
Carmudgeon

Go drive the LR and after you get past the nice interior, you will hate it !!!! Anyone who enjoy's a 'driver's car' pretty much will.
Alan is offline   Reply With Quote